• Register
  • Help

Topic: the best sampled SAX ever

Share/Bookmark

the best sampled SAX ever

Thanks for reading this,
    I badly need a sampled sax (possibly a tenor sax) to use in a project of mine, but I never had the need of deeply using that instrument.

Being the soloist of a smooth jazz quartet, the sax I\'m gonna use has to sound real and be enjoyable in its expression.

I know this is the usual problem, for my requests end to the \"I want the best one\" topic.

Saxophones, however, like all wind instruments, are hard to control in all of their expression. I would like to get informations about HOW actually controllable is the sample you\'re going to suggest me.

I would also like to know the role of a breath controller, since I never used it.

I would encourage everyone replying here to be the more precise possible, for I think that this \"sampled sax question\" is a very common one among musicians.

thanks for reading!
    Clef

------------------
    ------
    Official Alberto Rizzo
    Schettino web site:
    www.albertorizzoschettino.
    com

Re: the best sampled SAX ever

Hello Clefmaster,

I would strongly encourage you to check out a physically modeled sax if it will be front and center in your music creation. You will get infinitely more control and playability (growls, breath, vibrato, etc.)
    www.purgatorycreek.com has some musical examples of a Yamaha physical modeling synth playing a sax line. goto the yamaha page.

I own the VL-70m, I would say its strongest sounds are the winds and reeds including sax, clarinet, bassoon, etc.

Just my 2 cents about the right synth for the right job.

Scott

Sampled Sax:
    up dwn legato, lots of technique samples soft blow to growl.
    10or performed by Ray Pizzi, awsome tone!!
    www.vrsound.com

Hi Franz
    I´m looking for sampled saxes too. Where in vrsounds is it?
    Thanks

Where did you buy the VL-70m? I downloaded the sample on Pcreek, sounds very impressive. Are you able to get that kind of sound out of that box?

Burch

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sgarsson:
    Hello Clefmaster,

I would strongly encourage you to check out a physically modeled sax if it will be front and center in your music creation. You will get infinitely more control and playability (growls, breath, vibrato, etc.)
    www.purgatorycreek.com has some musical examples of a Yamaha physical modeling synth playing a sax line. goto the yamaha page.

I own the VL-70m, I would say its strongest sounds are the winds and reeds including sax, clarinet, bassoon, etc.

Just my 2 cents about the right synth for the right job.

Scott
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The VL70-m is Yamaha\'s answer to the need for physical modeling. It is strictly monophonic (even their top-of-the-line VL1 could only play TWO notes at once, and that is really what you need to allow for a little \'tail\' in an instrument without reverb...)

It\'s best used with a breath controller (or a wind controller, if you play reeds) for realistic sounding horns. But its real strength is the ability to create instruments that never existed in nature, but sound like they are acoustic, not electronic, in nature.

I bought one recently, and am having a lot of fun, but programming it is as different from traditional sampling and sample-synth (or analog synth) voice editing as the DX7 was in its time. It\'s quite possible to generate an \'instrument\' that is incapable of playing notes!

The VL series never caught on, I firmly believe, because it requires a lot of work to master, something many young rockers who are in it for the drugs and women are not willing to do.

But this seems to be a serious group, and if you\'re going to lay tracks one at a time and want a natural sounding instrument, it\'s worth the learning curve.

IMHO...

Dasher

[This message has been edited by thesoundsmith (edited 11-14-2001).]

I\'ve got your answer to brilliant sounds for the VL: www.patchmanmusic.com

than there is the windsynth list. The users there have burnt a special Eprom with \"most liked sounds\" (unfortunately the patch storing capability of the VL 70 is not so good...)

regards

------------------
    O.H.

cool infos, thanks.

If anyone is selling his phisical modelling synth generator like these ones by Yamaha please tell me, I may be interested to buy that.

How much did you pay for that? I could add it to my studio if it\'s not a \"giant\".

thanks again, and in advance,
    Clef

>How much did you pay for that? I could add it to my studio if it\'s not a \"giant\".<

Hi!

In Germany you get them new for about $500. On eBay you might find some for a much better price. Not too along ago a rumour went through the windlist that Yamaha takes them of the market (whatever that means). The other thing you might want to try is the Korg Oasys PCI card with great physical modelling capabilities (a user created a sax patch, but I can\'t tell you how good it is. Check the official Oasys group at yahoogroups. Be sure to get to the official one as there are two others...). the card used to cost about $2000 but if you are lucky you still can get one for $500 from GC in the USA.

regards

------------------
    O.H.

thanks for these additional informations..if anyone finds a yamaha vl-70m for sale or if someone do want to sell his one do not hesitate to email me at: alvin@dada.it

thanks again,

Go Back to forum