• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I've Got You Under My Skin

Share/Bookmark

I've Got You Under My Skin

I found this midi file and thought it would be nice to render it in JABB (mostly). The lead line was for guitar so I played it. I might have used the wrong guitar though. Hope you like it anyway.

http://www.box.net/shared/isi3talqbk
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: I've Got You Under My Skin

Hi, Derek

What a neat little project, to spiff up the MIDI file you found of this tune.

Parts of this sound snazzy, but don't you think there's an over-all mixing levels issue - ? Much of it seems out of balance, with instruments moved so far back - The sound isn't hanging together as well as it could.

Fun that you added your own guitar playing. JABB has an electric Guitar, which used in conjunction with an Amp Simulator sounds good - But definitely has the usual limitations of a keyboard Guitar emulation - that probably didn't appeal to you.

Take a listen, you may want to have another try at balancing your band - ?

Randy

Ok RANDY, Trouble is I've got as they say here, Cloth Ears. Any pointers would be nice. I follow tutorials in various mags but for the life of me I can't often here any difference between one track and another. I'm not sure that some of it is all Knigs New Clothes.

What do you think I should alter. I must admit it all goes through one reverb at the end may be thats the problem.
    Derek
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hello again, Derek - "Cloth ears"---LOL! I haven't heard that expression before, funny.

Hummm. Well, it's one HUGE subject, recording, mixing. I like what you said - that some of what you read may come under the category of "The Emperor's New Clothes." I've seen in books and online some extremely convoluted, unfathomable explanations of how one "should" record and mix - "BS" as we say here.

But of course there's a lot of good helpful information also. Don't neglect this Forum when you're looking for tips! - Have you seen this current thread in General Discussion about DPDAN's tutorial-?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=67373

There is a LOT there, but it's well worth going through, and most importantly, avail yourself of Dan's tutorials.

I will say that for starters on this present project, "I've Got You Under My Skin," it would be good for you to take a few steps back. Turn off that reverb plugin and work first at getting a better balance between the instruments. Take a good critical listen - Notice, for instance, that you have your Guitar way up front and dominating more than it needs to. As a lead instrument, of course it needs to be up there, but you've boosted it too much, in my opinion. Listen to the background instruments - sometimes they're so faint, I couldn't identify what the instruments were.

It's always best to work on a mix, then leave it for another day. Fresh ears the next day will Always help you pick out things your ears got too tired to notice during the first day's work.

And you're right, that to put the entire mix through the reverb at one level like that - it doesn't yield very good results. If it's too complicated for you to do otherwise, at least turn the wet/dry ratio down. Try something like 70% Dry and 30% wet. That will move the band much closer to us and sound better.

Go take a look at that thread, and look around the Forums (don't forget the several technical pages here) to be on the alert for threads on mixing issues.

Take care!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I found this midi file and thought it would be nice to render it in JABB (mostly). The lead line was for guitar so I played it. I might have used the wrong guitar though. Hope you like it anyway.

http://www.box.net/shared/isi3talqbk
    Hi Derek,

Enjoyed this. Mixing a real guitar with sampled sounds is going to be a tough task to pull off well. I found myself paying particularly attention to the guitar (wondering whether it was the Strat?) - and that makes matters worse in a way because you mentally separate it from the rest of the mix. But what the heck - some fine playing and a pleasure to tune in to.

Regards,

Graham

I like this. I do hear some of the mix problems that Randy is talking about, particularly in getting the guitar to sit in the mix, but over all I found this enjoyable.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks Guy, I went back to look at this again after Randy's comments. I used the REVERENCE reverb that comes with Cubase and ran out of time over the weekend so I didn't listen clearly.

When I turned it off, the track seemed to be so much clearer, so I'm re mixing this to see what happens.

Might replay the guitar part on the Strat, I used the Ibanez but couldn't get the sound I wanted and fudged it. Might take a few days to sort out, I need to go away 9for a few days for work.
    Derek

Sounds like whoever created this midi file was trying to copy Nelson Riddle's arrangement of this tune for Sinatra.

Here's Frank's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHLC-EimdAc

Jeff Turner Re: I've Got You Under My Skin
    Sounds like whoever created this midi file was trying to copy Nelson Riddle's arrangement of this tune for Sinatra.
    Thats exactly what I thought, and thats why I had a go with it.
    Derek

In case anyones interested, I had a go at remixing this track in line with Randy's comments.

http://www.box.net/shared/e5yum2bp7r
    Derek

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast