• Register
  • Help

Topic: Halsey Stevens Trumpet Sonata + Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata using VSL -- Demos

Share/Bookmark

Halsey Stevens Trumpet Sonata + Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata using VSL -- Demos

2 new performances/ demos.

The first is the Halsey Stevens Sonata for Trumpet and Piano - final movement. I used VSL's new downloadable Bb Trumpet and the new Vienna Imperial Piano. The Bb trumpet is not as deeply sampled as the trumpet in C, but I really like the tone of this Bb trumpet. The piano in this piece uses the distant microphone samples of the Vienna Imperial and demonstrates how the piano sounds playing more staccato articulations. Written 50 years ago, this Halsey Stevens composition still sounds very fresh to my ears

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5460

The second piece is Saint-Saens Sonata for Bassoon and Piano - 3rd movement. I used VSL's new downloadable Bassoon #2 on this. It too is not as deelply sampled as the original VSL bassoon #1. But bassoon #2 has a distinct personality especially on the more highly articulated passages. The final minute of the piece is good example of its characater. The piano uses the Close Mircophone sounds.

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5463

All comments about performances and/or samples are welcome.

Best wishes,
    Jay

Re: Halsey Stevens Trumpet Sonata + Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata using VSL -- Demos

Jay this is nice!

the trumpet especially sounds very good.
    I always look forward to hearing your work.

A nice Sunday afternoon treat!

The second piece, to me, the piano has too much stereo spread (low notes, high notes) for a live recording on a stage such as this. Sometimes while only low notes are played, the piano is all the way over to the left. It sounds as if the "inside piano" mics were used in this piece, and that would explain the heavy stereo spread. I also think the bassoon is too loud overall, but I am being picky though. Ya gotta love VSL samples, and you do nice work with them!

Dan

Re: Halsey Stevens Trumpet Sonata + Saint-Saens Bassoon Sonata using VSL -- Demos

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post

The second piece, to me, the piano has too much stereo spread (low notes, high notes) for a live recording on a stage such as this. Sometimes while only low notes are played, the piano is all the way over to the left. It sounds as if the "inside piano" mics were used in this piece, and that would explain the heavy stereo spread.
    Dan

Dan you are correct. The bassoon piece uses the close microphone position for the piano. I redid the piece using the distant microphone piano samples but Herb at VSL must have decided to post the close mic version instead.

Thanks for listening!

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum