• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is Scala file import broken in Steinway Basic V1.03

Share/Bookmark

Is Scala file import broken in Steinway Basic V1.03

When I try to use the Import button in the Import button for Tuning Type in the Tune tab in Steinway Basic 1.03, it brings up a list of .SCL files, and I select one, but Tuning Type doesn't change. It stays at "01 - equal.scl". This is true in the standalone and plug-in (I'm using VST on 32-bit Windows XP) versions.

Is this broken, or am I doing something wrong (or expecting something other than what should be expected)?

Thanks.

Rick
    http://www.rickpaul.info

Re: Is Scala file import broken in Steinway Basic V1.03

Hi Rick,
    I have seen in the past a case where I had to switch tabs in the Steinway before the GUI updated the display of the scala file I chose. This might be happening for you at the moment - where the new tuning is active but the displayed tuning didn't change until the GUI got redrawn via minimize/maximize, or changing tabs. I just checked v1.02 in standalone since it's installed on this computer, and there was no bug in the display or tuning. I'll check v1.03 a little later to see if I'm getting the error you're having. Meanwhile, to see if the tuning change are active but just not getting displayed, you can try to load pythgorean intonation, and play a C-G chord, followed by a C#-G# chord. You should hear a lot of dissonance in the C#-G#, after the consonance of hearing C-G.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick response. I just checked the standalone V1.03 Basic, and switching tabs and then coming back does not repaint the tuning tab any differently.

As for the hearing, not having played with alternate temperaments before, I wasn't sure what to be looking for with various temperaments, and wasn't hearing obvious differences with the example I'd been trying, so thanks for the suggestion. On trying that, I thought I was hearing differences, but I wasn't absolutely positive given my expectation of hearing differences or not could have been messing with my mind. Thus, I tried creating a totally bogus Scala file, with ridiculous values to make sure there was no mistaking anything for whether my ears were catching any potentially fine shades. The good news is I am hearing the (gross) differences when I use my bogus scale.

Thus, the bottom line seems to be that it is a display problem only, and one that is not cured by switching view tabs.

I might add that this area is one I'd be fairly unlikely to use in real life (at least for the main styles of music I make -- perhaps for some experimenting here and there). However, I was mainly trying to check it out to understand it better for my upcoming CakewalkNet review, and part of that is going to be needing to "educate my ears" a bit in this area since it isn't one I've messed around with before.

Rick

I probably should have asked you to try out the quarter comma meantone - the C#-G# is quite umm .. "distinctive" in that temperament. But that's just the fundamental nature of temperaments - trading consonance in some intervals for dissonance in other intervals. and the C#G# definitely gets the short end of the stick in quarter comma
    I'll see if I can reproduce the tuning display bug later today - I haven't seen it so far but then again I haven't been focused on the tunings lately.

The scala label displaying always "01 - equal.scl" is a GUI bug in ARIA 1.066 (packaged with Steinway 1.03)

This have been fix in ARIA 1.068

Thanks Pascal. I'll add that the upcoming v1.04 will use ARIA 1.068 or newer - therefore the bug is unlikely to exist in v1.04.

Thanks, Pascal and Jeff. that's good news.

Go Back to forum