• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loops, Jingles, Stingers, Legal To Use ??

Share/Bookmark

Loops, Jingles, Stingers, Legal To Use ??

Hi to all musicians,

I recently purchased a Macbook PC and along with all the other software applications came GaragBands 09 DAW. Now! Be patient I'm new to this so I need to know. Are the loops, jingles, stingers etc in GaragBand or any DAWs legal to use in you own music compositions ? eg. One loop I sampled sounded great but felt it needed a piano part adding to it, so if I was to add a piano part to that loop could i then call this my own compostion and even sell it for retail ? would this be is classed as my own work legally ?
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Re: Loops, Jingles, Stingers, Legal To Use ??

In Apple's own words (link to Apple's support knowledge-base):

you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

Not sure I understand what you're asking, but if you're just adding a piano part to one of their loops and reselling it as a loop, I think that would be too much of a "derivative work" for you to be able to resell it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    ...if you're just adding a piano part to one of their loops and reselling it as a loop, I think that would be too much of a "derivative work" for you to be able to resell it...
    Thank you, Sean - That's what I was indicating in my short response earlier. How could someone even Want to claim something as an original work when all they've done is add another layer to a pre-exisiting loop--?

But you see, that's the time in which we live. A prominent and very treasured Forum member here recently told me about his experiences in a university composing class. The other students said they were composing by assembling loops in programs like Garage Band. The professor had enough presence of mind to just laugh and inform them that they were doing nothing even resembling Composing.

Then the semester proceeded with students dropping out like flies as the real work of composition piled up in their home work load. They weren't able to do it, or able to muster the concentration required to dig into it.

Those students, along with a huge percentage of "musicians" online are being sold the illusion that they are being creative artists by piling up loops in Ableton and Garage Band. While there is a legitimate use of loops, such as creating your own when needed, and sketching in the basis for a drum track (I do that)--that's an entirely different arena.

Musicmad - If you're truly Mad about Music, allow me to suggest that you start your pieces from scratch like the best of them - Start developing some actual music, and then if you're really pressed to use a loop, go ahead and include it in your work, but I defy you to base your work on loops and still be able to look at yourself in the mirror without blinking in shame.

But, Sean, unfortunately you are not correct in the rest of your quote above. The loops in programs like Garage Band CAN be used in pieces which people claim are their own work. A Nick pointed out, those loops just cannot be re-sold as loops.

And we wonder why people can view our computer-realized music with suspicion? They can assume that all we've done is usurp pre-existing work to "create" our own. Laymen think that music composed via computer is all a matter of pushing a few buttons - and unfortunately, in some cases, they are correct.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But, Sean, unfortunately you are not correct in the rest of your quote above. The loops in programs like Garage Band CAN be used in pieces which people claim are their own work. A Nick pointed out, those loops just cannot be re-sold as loops.
    Me? Not correct? That never happens...

Maybe that's what confused me about the original post... does Garage Band come with pre-made loops, or does it aid in the creation of new loops? (Or both?)

If musicmad is talking about a premade loop, I can understand that that loop could still be used in "original works", but I don't think merely adding a piano layer is enough to make it "original" ... especially if it was going to be sold as a loop itself.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Hi to all musicians, One loop I sampled sounded great but felt it needed a piano part adding to it, so if I was to add a piano part to that loop could i then call this my own compostion and even sell it for retail ? would this be is classed as my own work legally ?
    After a lifetime of studying, performing, composing, arranging and teaching, I didn't even know what a loop was in this context until I came into the world of DAWS and sequencers.

Discovering what a loop is was one thing but then discovering that people actually used them either by joining a handful together or just adding another part then calling this their own composition is outside my understanding.

Musicmad, the best advice you've had is to start your own piece of music, your very own, something you can truly and honestly call your own composition.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Ok! let me first begin by saying I can deeply sense my thread has got you all off on the wrong assumption in terms of original creativity of music so allow me to confess. I’ve been composing my own original music now for 10 years exclusively on acoustic & digital pianos. Written two solo piano albums unpublished thirty compositions in total fifteen per each album. And I'm now in the process of writing a 3rd album with the intention for publishing, not to mention other individual pieces that have not been put in to compilation.

However it is only recently that I’ve begun to Endeavour in to the world of digital music production with the intention to experiment beyond the basics of just acoustics & DPs in the hope of maybe producing something for TV & Film ? Hence the reason why I'm asking questions based on Loop samples & DAWs etc, where do I legally stand ? So in terms of original composition I couldn’t agree with you more! when it comes to writing music for me its nothing but the pen..

I'm simply learning the logistics of digital music production..

Musicmad.

Eh... I don't think there's any harm in using loops in the first place. If they are pre-made loops, I suppose the only drawback is that listeners might recognize them and be a bit bored by them. But composers don't need loops to write forgetful boring music.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I can concur with that Sean, good point..

Musicmad.

Go Back to forum