• Register
  • Help

Topic: Atmosphere & Trilogy programming

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere & Trilogy programming

I hope you'll forgive this rather convoluted question or 2.
    I have Omnisphere and I'll be buying Trilian on its release.
    I currently have Atmosphere and Trilogy with their similar interfaces.

Now, I'm mainly a patch user, with a few tweaks here and there and thought that I ought to get deeper into these fantastic synths (and so make better use of Omni & Trilian too)

What I've been doing today is playing around with Atmos & Trilogy with the manuals and other bits in front of me.

I'm quite happy with the modulation section and routing to the LFO's, CC, mod wheel etc.
    I'm quite happy with the pitch envelope
    I can hear the differences when using the master filter section, filter env and amp env, but here are my questions:

Is there any form of "circuit" diagram out there that shows the flow of one section to another?
    For instance, if I set up the filter in the modulation section to, say lfo3, how do the main filter section and the filter env section react to that?

How can I explain? If I set the filter in the modulation section, does changing the master filter or filter env only act upon the limitations or settings of the filter value in the modulation section?

Or shall I ask if it is a series or parallel configuration where one acts upon the value of another, or the sum of one or another?

I told you it was going to be convoluted, but hopefully someone can understand where I'm coming from (Eric? Hans?)

I really feel I owe it to the designers of these synths to use them a bit more than a patch library, whilst at the same time learning more about synth programming in general.

Anyone feel like diving in at the deep end in a few simple paragraphs?
    I'd be really grateful

Neil
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Re: Atmosphere & Trilogy programming

The Master Filter and the Filter section are different things. The Filter section is polyphonic and modulatable. The Master Filter is more like an overall global tone control (similar to an eq)

When you modulate, what you are actually controlling in the filter section is the cutoff frequency knob. If the cutoff knob is down, you'll hear the modulation open the cutoff (whether it's keyboard tracking, the Filter Envelope or an LFO, etc)

The key mistake people make is that to hear result of the modulation, the cutoff knob must be down. If it's all the way open already, then you won't hear any result.

Just wanted to add something related but not answering your question.
    With Atmosphere discontinued and Trilogy I assume will be once Trilian is released, are you sure you want to mess with creating patches on Atmosphere and Trilogy? Suppose you come up with stuff you really like? What happens when you move to an OS where these two can't work....afaik there is no direct transfer of user patches to omnisphere and trilian.
    Once a vsti gets discontinued or updated I usually stop it from showing up in my DAW to inhibit me using it in new projects.

just my 2 cents.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    The Master Filter and the Filter section are different things. The Filter section is polyphonic and modulatable. The Master Filter is more like an overall global tone control (similar to an eq)

When you modulate, what you are actually controlling in the filter section is the cutoff frequency knob. If the cutoff knob is down, you'll hear the modulation open the cutoff (whether it's keyboard tracking, the Filter Envelope or an LFO, etc)

The key mistake people make is that to hear result of the modulation, the cutoff knob must be down. If it's all the way open already, then you won't hear any result.
    Okay Eric,
    thanks for the reply.
    The filter/master filter sections being different things makes things a bit clearer to me now (it's laid out more obviously in Omni).
    I think I'm getting more of an idea about it now.
    Need to try various patches to see how all these sections interact.
    It would be nice if there was a flow chart though for the odd dummy like me that comes along
    I think some of it is my ageing ears not picking up the subtle nuances in some patches too.

Neil
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
    Just wanted to add something related but not answering your question.
    With Atmosphere discontinued and Trilogy I assume will be once Trilian is released, are you sure you want to mess with creating patches on Atmosphere and Trilogy? Suppose you come up with stuff you really like? What happens when you move to an OS where these two can't work....afaik there is no direct transfer of user patches to omnisphere and trilian.
    Once a vsti gets discontinued or updated I usually stop it from showing up in my DAW to inhibit me using it in new projects.

just my 2 cents.
    rsp
    Hi Richard - how's things?

I appreciate your comments and 2 cents worth.
    However, I'm not trying to create a load of my own presets - merely trying to be a bit more than a preset user.
    You have to ask the question sometimes:
    Did Eric & team create this synth packed with patches for dummies like me who don't understand modulation, filters et al or does he and the team get frustrated by folks like me who'll never realise it's full potential????

Really, what I'm trying to do is to understand these synths, and doing it on the "simple" versions of them - Atmosphere & Trilogy.
    You know, although Omni is bigger and better by a factor of "x to the power y", the theory behind them and indeed the appearance is similar.
    Surely, I thought, it's easier to learn about the simple LFO section that only uses a sine wave than delve into Omni with a variety of waveforms.

It's like when I learned to ski - I started on the beginners slopes with a snowplough and worked on it until I got it right. Jumping in the deep end and throwing myself uselessly down a black mogul field would only have frustrated me and I'd never have learned the basics.

So I was just trying to establish if there was a simple flowchart knocking about for the "synth programming for Dummies" using Atmosphere & Trilogy.

Appreciate you answering though.
    Finally, although I have Omni & the old Atmosphere patches sound better in Omni, I still keep Atmosphere on the go for CPU saving reasons or as a low CPU scratchpad. I'll do the same with Trilogy when Trilian comes out.

Neil
    Neil B

hi Neil I am ok. You?
    Fair enough, makes sense.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Go Back to forum