• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GarageBand ?? Cubse or Logic ??

Share/Bookmark

GarageBand ?? Cubse or Logic ??

Hi,

could anybody comment on whether the DAW GarageBand is good enough for producing pro music on for retail ? Or would one need to upgrade to something like Cubase or Logic ?

Musicmad.
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Re: GarageBand ?? Cubse or Logic ??

UPGRADE!!!

Garage Band is very impressive for an app that comes with your computer, but for serious stuff its nowhere near enough.

I've only ever used Logic and Sonar (PC Only). Sonar was alright, but I loooooove Logic. I've heard good things about Cubase also.

Since you're on a mac (I'm assuming) I'd recommend Logic or Digital Performer. Although I've never used DP I hear amazing things. It's something that I might look into towards the future because of the MIDI editing.

Either way, Garage Band is cool, but not enough.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hi Keith, I'm more of an audio musician myself, so i think it would be Cubase. Thanks! for your suggestions and advice.

Cheers
    Musicmad

I think you will find that any DAW will get the same quality or very close. The signal coming in is the same signal that will be recorded for all DAW's. However if your looking for plugins, (eq, compression, gates, synths and drum machines) you will find that Logic will be the biggest bang for your buck.

Every DAW will record the signal your feeding it. What you need to look for is the one that does what your wanting to do the best. Just remember that the more complex, the more difficult it is to learn. THAT IS NOT A BAD THING! Just because it takes a while to learn, does not mean its a bad program. read reviews and you'll find the best one for you.

If you work with scores veru much, Cubase 5 has, according to their users, improved a lot that area. The VSTExpression appears to be a brilliant feature.
    Marcelo Colina

although i've never used Cubase i've checked it out, and I would recommend Logic - especially for audio mixing. Lots of professional studios use Logic. Check out its site and you'll see tons of top bands that use it (i think coldplay even uses logic) and composers (they did an interview with the guy who scored slumdog millionaire).

the plugins that come with it are incredible. Space Designer (the nicest of the 5 or 6 reverbs it comes with) is a top notch convolution reverb that is amazing for audio mixing. I find that its not as great for orchestral mixes but great for things like vocals, guitars, percussion, etc. The EQ is great because of the analyzer (as well as a match EQ). the compressors and multipressors are incredibly valuable. The delay designer is something that is hard to live without. I can go on and on with the plugins, but you should check for yourself.

There are also tons of really good virtual instruments and loops that come in handy on most mixes.

Either way, you should really check out Logic before jumping into Cubase.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

a great point was brought up. If you are scoring, Digital Performer is unmatched in its midi capabilities! But be warned, it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks! to everyone for your suggestions and advice, appreciated.

Cheers
    Musicmad.

lol - i've already made my suggestions on another forum

As you are going to be audio based, I would not recommend Logic. Its destructive editing can be really annoying. You process something in the time machine or groove shifter, realise its not what you wanted, and then cant get back to the original! (Although very rarely I can, which is really odd...)

I dont think Logic is exceptionally good for audio mixing. Pro Tools is generally considered the King of that, and really you can get an equally good mix in any DAW as long as its engine does not taint the sound. Logic does shine for composers tho because it is so fast to work in.... abd its pluggins are very very good. However cubase does have a 'melodyne' thing built in, which could be invaluable for audio work.

Ive said it before, try the demos!

Thanks! again Ben.

Mm.

Go Back to forum