• Register
  • Help

Topic: piano and strings

piano and strings

Here's a quickie I recorded last night because I didn't want to do the dishes. Obviously raw and sloppy, but it was fun to do. I'm sure I'll expand on it someday, but for now, this is all I have.

Boz Millar

Re: piano and strings

It has possibilities but you need variety in the piano instead of doing the same thing, basically, over and over and over and...

After a four measure intro, you might try writing a melodic piano line and then develop it with interesting harmonies and counterpoint. Let the piano take a rest for a few measures with the strings taking the lead.

Larry G. Alexander

Hey, thanks for the comments. You're right. hearing the piano play the same thing over and over gets a bit redundant pretty quick.

I think it's a start, but yeah, it's going to need some variation.
    Boz Millar

Wilton, NH

It reminds me a lot of Minimalism, particularly Phillip Glass, not just in the style but in the choice of chords. I agree with Larry that you need to do something more. In a Phillip Glass piece the piano would slowly evolve. The listener might not be aware, but if it is suddenly stopped and you go back to the beginning you can hear it. Or maybe another part would come in, at first supplementing the piano before replacing it, with the piano returning with a different pattern.

Anyway, good start.
    Trent P. McDonald

hey, i really like the idea of slowly evolving the song. I'm pretty sure that's the direction I should take this. thanks for the feedback guys.
    Boz Millar

Hi, Boz - This is definitely a Phillip Glass-like Minimalist idea, and really just the start of one. Soundscapes taking this kind of approach can be very effective, so I think you could have fun picking up this germ of an idea and building on it.

I would suggest experimenting with different instruments rather than Piano for the repeating rhythm. I think Larry couldn't hear the minimalist possibilities because of your instrument choice. You could experiment with that figure being played by woodwinds for instance.

Yeovil, Somerset

Hey there,

I liked this piece alot! I personaly dont mind the repetitive piano melody line.

It is minimalistic which i love.

Please continue on this piece!!
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Go Back to forum