• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement 1 for Wind Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement 1 for Wind Ensemble

Hi all,

After many, many months of work, I have finally finished transcribing Symphony No. 3 by Howard Hanson to Wind Ensemble. This has been a real labor of love, something I've wanted to do for many years. I started on this project back in August of last year after obtaining the rights from the publisher to do the arrangement. I have also been in touch with a local university band for a future performance.

Just a few things to be aware of. Hanson's Symphony No. 3 was originally about 37 minutes long. I trimmed it down to just over 30 minutes so it would be somewhat easier for a band to play. Still, it's a very complex piece and I would have cut more, but I felt I had trimmed as much of the original score as I could. The first movement which I'm posting is just over 8 minutes long, so the file is rather large.

One last thing. This is a Finale 2009 wave file converted to MP3. I did a little enhancing with it using Sound Forge Audio Studio, but there really wasn't time for me to do much more than that. I would have loved to do a DPDan kind of mastering, but there just isn't time and I don't really have the DAW software to do it (besides no one can master like DPDan!). Also, parts of this recording are soft, but if you have ever listened to Hanson's recording of the original it is much the same way and I tried to match that as much as I could.

I would really, really appreciate all comments on this as I hope the publisher will accept this for publication. I will post movements 2, 3, and 4 at a later date. It's such a relief to finally have this done.

Gary

http://www.box.net/shared/v03ro6igun
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Hanson's Symphony No 3 - Movement 1 for Wind Ensemble

Having the performance scores to all the Hanson symphonies, I was very curious how this would translate to wind ensemble.

Of all his symphonies, this also happens to be one of my two favourites.

I don't know if I feel that it works... there's something missing in the density. Now, I don't know if this isn't more because of the recording using the samples rather than the actual translation from symphony orchestra to band.

Tempo-wise, the opening felt too rushed, but then, that's really a personal issue.

Congratulations on this massive endeavour. It's quite a feat to translate these symphonic works to a new medium. I hope it will also, by the by, garner a new audience for these wonderful symphonies through your translation to band. A hearty "bravo" to you.

I hate to admit, but I don't know this well enough to compare it to the original. I need to pay more attention to some of the wonderful music created by Americans in the last century.... (I do have one Howard Hanson CD, but it doesn't have this on it. That must change soon...)

I can't compare this to the original orchestration, but I can say what I think of your arrangement after a couple of times through. I really like this a lot. I'm sure much of me liking it is due to the source material, but I really did enjoy it quite a bit. I think your arrangement is very successful.

Good luck in getting this arrangement performed and published.

Looking forward to hearing the other movements.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello, Gary "SerenityMusician"

Big Exclamation point - ! - in trying to express how impressive this massive project of yours is.

It surprised me when you mentioned that you didn't spend much time trying to master or otherwise perfect the recording - It sounds pretty great to me! - And it's because the arrangement is shining through like a Star.

I'll leave it to people who know the piece well and have their own personal expectations - I'm a new audience for this and was unfailingly engaged and excited by what I heard.

Congratulations on the completion of this pet project of yours. I'm really looking forward to when you post the rest of the movements.

Randy

Gary, I really enjoyed your first movement. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest. We have a local wind ensemble, the Prairie Winds, that may be interested in performing this. They're very active and their concerts are all taped for broadcast on our local public radio station. Maybe worth a contact if you haven't given your University friends exclusive rights to performance.

I really appreciate all of your comments about this first movement.

To Michel: Thank you for your honest comments. I did try to keep the beginning tempo as close to original recording in which Hanson himself directed it, but I was also trying for my own interpretation as well, so it may be faster than you are used to. I will be the first to admit I felt there were a couple places that were not as full as I would have liked, but I couldn't get Finale to play some of the parts as fully as I wanted. If I had time I would do a better job recording it. I really appreciated your input.

To Trent: Thanks so much for enjoying this first movement. The source material was really a challenge to work with, but I really gained an appreciation for the writing ability of Hanson. To me he was a master! If you are interested, there's a great recording of the original directed by Howard Hanson available for download on iTunes and I highly recommend it. It also includes a little extra material that I took out.

To Randy: Wow, coming from you, whom I have a lot of respect for, that is high praise, indeed. Thank you so much for your kind words. This is absolutely one of my favorite works and I hope to introduce this to more people along this journey I'm taking. I feel this piece shows the genious of Hanson's writing. If you ever want to look at the score, just let me know.

To Rob: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Just so you know, there isn't anything written in stone regarding exclusive rights to the university I've been in touch with. I would have no qualls at all (and neither would they) if Prairie Winds would be interested in performing it. And I would be thrilled!!!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    If you are interested, there's a great recording of the original directed by Howard Hanson available for download on iTunes and I highly recommend it. It also includes a little extra material that I took out.
    I looked on Amazon and there is a 4 CD set of Howard Hanson's music conducted by Hanson as an mp3 download. I think 1 CD is an introduction to the orchestra using his music as an example. This might be the same as the one on iTunes. I'm about 99% sold on it and will most likely pick it up soon.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum