• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - I'm going to Rome! :D

Talking OT - I'm going to Rome! :D

School is finally over and the summer awaits me! Yaay!
    Me and my family are going to Rome for about a week and I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations, tips, warnings etc that I should know about. What should I see/do and what should think about/watch out for?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Re: OT - I'm going to Rome! :D

Well, the usual tourist advice - money belt, don't have your camera dangling about...

If you end up near the Vatican for dinner (not, perhaps the best area for evening activities ) check out La Rustichella. Fabulous food! If you do the Vatican, Monday afternoons are usually less crowded. Allow a lot of time to see it.

Just walk, and walk, and walk. Take buses - the routes are pretty easy to decipher - and you get a lot great views that way. Whatever you see, you will love it. The people are so kind, the gelato is a delight, and espresso wherever you turn; what's not to like?

Have a great trip!
    Ron Pearl

I've made quite a few business trips to Rome and my experiences have been almost almost positive.

Be careful when travelling by taxi (closing your eyes helps) because those drivers are dangerous!

Be careful when you travel because believe it or not the place virtually shuts down for a summer vacation!

Eat lots of food - it's fantastic!

Throw a coin into the Trevi fountain. After you do so you will be literally unable to die until the next time you go back to Rome to throw another coin into the Trevi fountain (and so on, and so on).

What else. When you see the wedding cake you will be tempted to say to the Roman people you are with something along the lines of "Wow, that is an impressive building". Don't! The locals hate it.

Make sure you visit the Spanish Steps. That's a great place to relax on a summer evening.

Basically, just enjoy your visit. I know you will!

California Redwoods

Well, if you want to observe strange expressions on a waiter, when he suggests a particular coffee to you, reply with "Oh, would that be the kind I had in Ethiopia?".

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, if you order a cappuccino after 11AM you will be strung up on the nearest tree. Just don't do that, seriously. Cappuccino is a morning drink. My advice would be stick to macchiato because they don't expect foreigners to ask for it.

Learn to count in Italian, then you know when you are being tilted.

Hey, these are all great stuff guys. Thanks!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Wilton, NH

Go see some ruins. I know you can't miss them - they are everywhere, but go explore them. And then some more. And more - You can spend your life looking at important archeological sites in Rome.

Then it is time for museums.

The vatican Museum is a must see. Make sure you go through slowly and look at everything - you will be alone in looking at some of the worlds great pieces of art. Where is everyone else? You'll find out when you hit the Sistine Chapel. Work your way to the middle looking at the great work by some of the biggest names in early Renaissance art that decorate the wall, then look up - your eyes will bug out and your jaw will hit the floor with an audible thunk.

The Villa Borghese. This fascinating museum houses many of the best Bernini sculpture to be found. There are pieces you would swear are alive... Not to mention paintings by Caravaggio.

Oh, there is so much more. In a week you will not even scratch the surface. As Nick said, only drink cappuccino in the morning, but do take your time, and drink it - I cannot imagine a better way to start the day (I have a hard time drinking cappuccino in the US - it doesn't taste the same...)

And by the way, visit some ruins....
    Trent P. McDonald

So to recap everything that's been said here:

Close your eyes and enter a taxi, while holding your backs tightly and counting from 1-10 in Italian in order to learn it. When you go out, grab some food, and head straight to the ruins and then to the museums. Don't say anything about any momument cause they'll hate you, and either way your mouth will be full and you will be counting to 100 now, in order to be sure not to get tilted. Get your coffees before 11 in the morning and save them for later, all this while you have your money in a back around your waste and are looking left and right.

I think that's it!

Seriously though, first of all have great fun. since I'm Greek I can offer some semi-valid information: The general idea we have for Italians is that they steal A LOT! So, indeed make sure you don't loose your stuff, check always you change and if Rome is anything like Athens, when you do use a taxi, check for a price list somewhere. In Athens they are FORCED to show how much each km is charged, waiting time is charged, pick up from the airport and stuff, so the tourists can check and go "Hey! It's not 50 euros for picking me up from the airport! It's 10!" and so on.

Italian food is AMAZING so do eat (which goes without saying really, otherwise you would starve).

Finally the Roman Empire has left some significant stuff to us, so do see what you can.

In other words what's been said already are fantastic info and very helpful! Just thought I'd waste five minutes making a little joke and repeating the same things! Bravissimo me!

I was in Rome on my honeymoon. It's a lot of fun to visit, but the pace can get a bit overwhelming. There are streets where there are simply no good instructions about who has the right of way (not that I was driving... *shudder*).

I was not at all impressed with any pizza I found in Rome. You have to go to Naples for that.

Most importantly, get used to walking, narrow streets, and big crowds. Also, you won't be able to summon a taxi anywhere but an official taxi stand. It's good to figure out where these are before you need them!

Have fun!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum