• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What's Your "Someday Project?"

Share/Bookmark

What's Your "Someday Project?"

We probably all have a "Someday Project." This is a work that you have thought about, fantasized about, for a long time, but have never gotten to. Maybe it's a bit overwhelming, or you just haven't found a "round tuit" yet.

I have two, sort of. One I started ten years agos and have meant to get back to ever since. The other I've not started yet.

The first is a one-act musical in swing style intended for churches to perform at Christmas. I started it ten years ago with one of my best friends who was writing the book. We quit when the church we were writing it for split and neither of the resultant churches had any musical that Christmas. We just never got back to it, and have lost some of the original material. I also wasn't sure how I would create the performance tracks, having never heard of JABB at that time (I don't think it existed yet). Anyway, I intend to get back to it with a vengeance once I finish my current CD project.

My real "Someday Project" is something I just conceived of last year. I want to take my favorite piece of music, Holst's The Planets Suite (I know, not a very original favorite piece, but I can't help what I like) and arrange it for Jazz Big Band.

This project has occupied my thoughts much, lately. As I listen to the work, I can hear the various sections of the band playing the different parts. The harmonies would remain similar, but with jazz extensions and substitutions. The rhythm would definitely be funkier, and I can hear much of the rhythm section.

That being said, this project is somewhat overwhelming to me. The amount of work that this will take is huge, and I have so many things I want to do. But, someday I will do this.

So, what's your "Someday Project?"

Re: What's Your "Someday Project?"

1. Someday I will finish my choral setting of Whitman's "Death Carol."

2. Someday I will write a symphony with 8 horns in the orchestra.

3. Someday I will write a string quartet (unbelievable that I haven't done so yet!)

4. Someday I will finish the Concerto Project...
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Funny you should post this. I just finished one of those "someday projects." I had dreamed for years of transcribing Symphony No. 3 by Howard Hanson to wind ensemble. Over a year ago I finally contacted Carl Fischer Publishing who owns the copyrights and they granted me permission to do the transcription. I received the rental score last August and have been plucking away at it in my off hours ever since, many times staying up until 1:00 AM (or later) to finish a particular section. Well, it's finally finished as of Wednesday this week. I have posted a recording of the 1st movement in the Listening Room. I've been in contact with a local university and hope to have it performed sometime in the coming year and then hopefully onto publication. I love this symphony and so much want to re-introduce it to as many people as I can. As for my next "someday project," that's yet to be determined, but I have a lot of ideas!

By the way, I like your idea of a one-act musical in a swing style for Christmas. That would be fun. But I really love your idea of Holst's The Planets for Jazz Band. That would be outstanding! I say go for it, even if it's just a little bit every week. After transcribing four movements of a symphony, churning out 133 pages at 1010 measures, yep I believe anyone can do their "someday project!"

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Mine is complete pie-in-the-sky, but it would be cool nonetheless. I want to write a requiem, for a synthesis of orchestra and electronics, which would be binaurally recorded, and would be experienced in an installation, where each seat has a set of headphones. I want to use the ability to suddenly place sounds on the listeners shoulder to frighten the living crap out of them. Possibly it would have a visual element too.

The Dies Irae sequence in particular is going to be different. Instead of the normal powerhouse of brimstone and pomp, it's going to place the listener in a dreary wasteland, where they are utterly alone except for sinister whispers that constantly recount their sins.

At the moment, though, my one-day project is to have five minutes to myself.
    David

my "someday project" would be to produce Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin with the new GPO and the Garritan Steinway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I want to use the ability to suddenly place sounds on the listeners shoulder to frighten the living crap out of them. Possibly it would have a visual element too.
    that is an awesome idea David....
    if you have not heard the virtual haircut, it is a blast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Dan

symphonic metal project, using GPO, Symphonic Choirs (well, I would use Garritan Choirs if and when it arrives!) and Reason....

also, using GPO, a concerto for english horn....

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    my "someday project" would be to produce Rhapsody in Blue by George Gershwin with the new GPO and the Garritan Steinway.....
    I look forward to it!! You will make it sound awesome.

that is an awesome idea David....
    if you have not heard the virtual haircut, it is a blast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
    Hahaha... that's hilarious... really sounds great... and near the end, binaural whispering is pretty creepy. Really cool!

My "someday projects" mainly consist of writing books/screenplays/musicals... the planning and plotting are pure delight, I've got plenty of plots, but the actual labor of writing... eh... someday. It gets dull.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Dan
    I would be delighted to that… especially the slow part…
    It has always been for me one of the most influential sources of inspiration.

As to my ‘someday project(s)’… I have a notebook full of those
    and new ones are added regularly as I discover yet another great piece.

Most are very short ‘projects’, so they will be realized and released one by one in due time…

~Yudit~

I have had a “some day” project on the back burner for years. I don’t want to go into specifics (it will be completed some day and I want it to be a surprise), but it will be series of orchestrated songs based on one of the world’s great pieces of literature. The songs will all be from the point of view of one of the characters as the story moves along.

I was originally going to have my mom write the poems – she has been writing poetry her whole life and has had a dozen or two set to music by H. Leslie Adams – but I ended up writing them. I am not a poet. What happened is that I wanted to explain to her exactly what I wanted her to write. In drawing it up I wrote all of the poems. Weird.

When I do write this I will consider it my first real piece and not just a study. At this point my composition skills are not even close to achieve what I have planned. A lot of what I have done in the last few years has been with this target in mind - even the Hamlet Symphony I recently posted was written with the idea in mind of sustaining a common theme over an hour as practice for the real project.

And of course a couple of songs: Some may remember a silly little song I wrote (poem by my mom) called “Theme Song”. A little over a year ago I posted an orchestrated song called “Black Eyed Susan”. I wrote the poem for that shortly after writing the poems mentioned above.

“Black Eyed Susan” is my favorite piece of music I have ever written. As a near term “some day” project I am going to do a song cycle of wild flowers. I have already written the poems. It will be about flowers, life and death….

I have a couple of other things. So far I have posted over a dozen preludes here. I will finish up all 24….

I also, about a year ago, posted 13 mini-shorts called “Child’s Play Book 1”. These were all in major keys, except the last which was bordering atonal. I want to finish the lat 12 in minor keys.

Some of the previous posts have some excellent ideas. Can't wait to hear them here, including the last 3 movements of Hanson's 3rd symphony transcribed for band (loved the 1st).
    Trent P. McDonald

Great topic!
    I have started (over a year ago and not one song is completed yet) an album who's songs are based on the characters and events from my favorite fantasy book series, A Song of Ice and Fire. I expect it will contain 13 - 15 pieces and the music will be a combination of orchestral and synthesizers. I'm a big fan of `Fantasy Rock' or whatever you want to call it and I think it would be great to pay homage to the series through music. There is an independent musician named Bjorn Lynne who did the same thing for a book called The Gods Awaken and his work is inspirational to me. (Check an example at http://www.lynnepublishing.com/mp3/B...27s%20Song.mp3 ) It will be a looooong time before it gets finished, if it ever does.

I have also been working on a (for me) large arrangement of Carol of the Bells that has a Danny Elfman eerie kind of twist to it. I'm using the Garritan Christmas Album for this year as motivation to get the piece done.

Last of all, I would like to try to record some arrangements of several Alfred Burt Carols. I grew up on Alfred Burt and I believe he is the single largest contributor to Christmas music ever. This would also be synth and orchestra, think kind of like what Mannheim Steamroller did with Christmas Carols. This should be completed around the year 2115.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum