• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere Contest Arrangements

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere Contest Arrangements

Hi,
    I'm listening to the winners of the Omnisphere contest and I'm blown away. Frankly I have no idea what it technically takes to be able to do those arrangements (Sampler?).
    At the end of video #5 of the Omnisphere video series, Eric shows what's possible to do with Stylus RMX and the Omnisphere loops.
    So now I'm getting somewhat closer to answering my initial enigma of how to technically do those arrangements.
    The question is this: If Omnisphere is a closed format, and let's say I have Stylus RMX, how can I incorporate the two together since we don't have Omnisphere loops available like they were for the contest.
    Right or wrong?
    On a side note, which programs have the possibility to do what we hear in the contest arrangements?

Thanks all.

Re: Omnisphere Contest Arrangements

to do exactly what was done in the contest entrys you would need to create and record loops from Omnisphere sounds and arpeggios, put those in RECYCLE to turn them into Rexfiles and then import those into RMX.
    This would mean some extra work but on the other hand give you the advantage of using the powerful edit group feature in RMX to treat every single note in those Omnisphere REX files like a seperate sound and you could apply all of RMX effects, filters and whatnot with individual settings for each of the notes.
    But if all you want to do is make Omnisphere and RMX work together in the smoothest possible way you can simply drag the RMX Midifiles into Omnispheres arpeggiator to lock them both up perfectly.
    AFAIK the contestants used the usual DAWs out there so you can basically achieve pretty much the same results using Logic, Cubase or whatever DAW you want to.
    Most of the work has to be done inside the Spectrasonics plugins and of course using your skils and imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    AFAIK the contestants used the usual DAWs out there so you can basically achieve pretty much the same results using Logic, Cubase or whatever DAW you want to.
    Most of the work has to be done inside the Spectrasonics plugins and of course using your skils and imagination.
    I can only speak for myself, not the other contestans, but I agree with Hans completely. I don't think there would be much of a difference between choosing one particular DAW over the other. I use Cubase but I'm pretty sure I could do the same on Logic etc., especially that I almost didn't use any external plugins or tools that are exlusive to one host. I'd say about 95% of what you can hear in my entry is done using just the Spectrasonics plugins and their incredible editing capabilities - no voodoo, really!
    And speaking of editing capabilities, the actual Omnisphere is just insane. It's like you can do just about anything you can imagine!
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Thanks for the reply both.
    Still I'm in awe when I hear these entries and really have no idea how to even start duplicating one of them. I wish there would be a tutorial video on stuff like that...Just the technical side of course. The rest is up to me.
    Iwanatsu, you have a great entry. I envy your knowledge and mastery of the DAW.
    Thanks.

that Omnisphere contest brought some very cools talents to my attention.
    Really mindboogling stuff!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    I wish there would be a tutorial video on stuff like that...Just the technical side of course.
    You know, one of the things you can certainly do already, before more tutorials are available, is to check how the factory patches work. Load some cool patch of your choice, see what soundsource(s) it uses and load them clear in a different channel/layer for audition. Now try to find out how they made it to sound like it sounds - mute some modulations, turn some effects off, tweak their settings, stuff like that. Some patches have a pretty simple structure (for example just adding a reverb/delay, maybe some minor filtering etc.) but there are also totally wicked ones that not only sound amazing but also make the initial soundsources next to impossible to recognise, changing them into something completely different. They are incredibly creative! I don't know about others, but I find this "reverse-engineering" method quite effective for both learning and inspiration. For a guy like me it's a good chance to find out how the best sound-designers do some of their magic and try to do it yourself!
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Go Back to forum