• Register
  • Help

Topic: CC#1 or Volume slider

Share/Bookmark

CC#1 or Volume slider

Just curious. Using JABB & SONAR, one can add modulation (or volume) using CC#1. But having set it to a start value, let's say 70 -to get an initial volume-, is moving up and down of the volume slider in Sonar equivalent to drawing CC#1 in Sonar?

I know that for certain instruments, the loudness(volume) is not the same as striking a key or string hard enough, e.g. the piano produces another sound when you hit a key softly (raising the volume makes it un-natural).

Does that also apply to JABB instruments?
    Is a CC#1 curve better than a slider movement?

Raymond

Re: CC#1 or Volume slider

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Just curious. Using JABB & SONAR, one can add modulation (or volume) using CC#1. But having set it to a start value, let's say 70 -to get an initial volume-, is moving up and down of the volume slider in Sonar equivalent to drawing CC#1 in Sonar?

I know that for certain instruments, the loudness(volume) is not the same as striking a key or string hard enough, e.g. the piano produces another sound when you hit a key softly (raising the volume makes it un-natural).

Does that also apply to JABB instruments?
    Is a CC#1 curve better than a slider movement?

Raymond
    Raymond,

They are different, The volume slider in Sonar generates cc#7 not cc#1.

The Volume slider (CC#7) only changes volume, CC#1 also changes - in addition to volume - the timbre. You should only use CC#7 to set the overall balance between instruments.

Mike, I meant the timbre and Nickie got it right. As I already assumed, CC#1 will alter the timbre, but I just wondered how far it would go. Now I am sure.

Thanks,

Raymond

Go Back to forum