• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prelude 12 in g minor

Share/Bookmark

Prelude 12 in g minor

It’s been over a year since I added a new prelude. I left it with what might be thought of as the end of the first half empty. The start of the second half was there, but there was a gap. Well, no longer – here is #12:

Prelude 12 in g minor

I meant this prelude as a kind of cap to the first half. Even though it is very short, it should sum up what came before. Yet it is a prelude – something comes after. I wanted #13 to spring out of this like a Phoenix from the ashes of the first half. It is supposed to be quiet and distant.

Here are the preludes to this point. (A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-Gb-eb-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major
    8 – Prelude in eb minor
    9 -Prelude in Ab Major
    10 - Prelude in f minor
    11 - Prelude in Bb Major
    12 - Prelude in g minor
    13 – Prelude in Eb
    14 – Prelude in c minor

Note - #s 9, 10, 11 and 12 are rendered with the Authorized Steinway. All others are rendered with the GPO Steinway.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Prelude 12 in g minor

What a relief after that swinging Sunday I had, rendering Jazz pieces. Really great. When you re-render all others for the Steinway (GAS), I'll order the CD.

Raymond

Hi, Trent

The Preludes! - It's great to see you returning to your set of pieces, and the whole list posted here in The Listening Room.

#12 - Quiet and distant indeed, and very effectively mood-shifting. I pictured a Pianist up in the middle of the night, fingers gently moving over the keys as he tries to recall a melancholic dream.

Thanks also for the peek into your creative process - the way after quite a period of time, you felt there was a gap that needing filling.

I'm looking forward to coming back to this thread to listen to more. Thanks!

Randy

Very haunting, with the ostinato. Nice idea to have the quiet prelude as a kind of half-way point, as opposed to a triumphal summing-up. Strategically/architecturally this makes a lot of sense.

Again, quite beautiful.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    What a relief after that swinging Sunday I had, rendering Jazz pieces. Really great. When you re-render all others for the Steinway (GAS), I'll order the CD.

Raymond
    I'm sure this was a huge change in mood from a day of swing and jazz!

I plan on doing all 24 (when I have 24) with GAS. Or better yet, with RPRS - real player on a real Steinway - hopefully in front of a real audience (yes, this is a real audience, but 1 listener at a time...).

Thanks for the nice comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Trent

The Preludes! - It's great to see you returning to your set of pieces, and the whole list posted here in The Listening Room.

#12 - Quiet and distant indeed, and very effectively mood-shifting. I pictured a Pianist up in the middle of the night, fingers gently moving over the keys as he tries to recall a melancholic dream.

Thanks also for the peek into your creative process - the way after quite a period of time, you felt there was a gap that needing filling.

I'm looking forward to coming back to this thread to listen to more. Thanks!

Randy
    Hi Randy. After the "someday project" thread I had to go back to these. Actually, I will most likely do a few more before I start on my next project.

Actually, the creative process was only a little different from what you pictured - late at night, gently moving my fingers across the piano, experimenting with a few patterns and chords and thinking how I could integrate them into the flow. I then jumped up, wrote all the notes down (the basic pattern and then block chords) and ran up and put it down in Sibelius. The next morning (Sunday), I cleaned it up and made the performance in Cubse.

Glad you liked it. Thanks for the kind words.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Very haunting, with the ostinato. Nice idea to have the quiet prelude as a kind of half-way point, as opposed to a triumphal summing-up. Strategically/architecturally this makes a lot of sense.

Again, quite beautiful.

All the best,
    Thanks Ron. At first I was thinking of making this into more of a big ending, but then I thought a quiet reflection would fit the previous material a little better. And when I started playing around on the piano, this wrote itself.

Thanks for listening and the kind words.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

Very well done, in its delicacy and restraint -- the
    ideal of the prelude well met: concise, to the point.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Trent,

Very well done, in its delicacy and restraint -- the
    ideal of the prelude well met: concise, to the point.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David. Sometimes the simple ideas just seem to work.

Thanks for listening and for taking the time to comment.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Trent,

This is some great stuff!

I started right in with number 12, though I don't think I've heard most of these. I am going to listen to the whole set and write some feedback on it, but for now, let me cover numbers 12 & 13 (had to keep going to 13 after your description of, of course).

I loved the contrast between these two preludes. 12 is absolutely gorgeous. The harmonies are exquisite and the melody is both plaintive and austere, but without the burden of excess drama. It sounds like the distant echo of what used to be happy music in a happier time.

When #13 starts next, it definitely feels like a "rebirth." It's clear that we're building to something, and when it all lets loose, it's quite heady! Spikey and manic in a very good way. My only criticism would be that some of this movement sounds a bit mechanical, especially in some of the fortissimo passages with the arpeggios and the trills. It might benefit from a few tweakings of velocities. Of course you might want to wait on anything like that if you have any plans on bringing this one over to the Authorized Steinway.

I'll be listening to this set more closely when I get a chance.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast