• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Concerto for Springtime (Sirulnikoff)

Share/Bookmark

Concerto for Springtime *** Revised *** (Sirulnikoff)

Hi All,

*** This is a revised version with the Solo Cello taking the vocal part ***

This piece was posted about a year ago, but I've made some changes so I thought I would post it again. All parts are GJBB except for the flute and Solo Cello which are GPO.

Concerto for Springtime

(I find the level a bit low on this site, so it may be desirable to boost the volume a bit).

These are the lyrics:

The earth lies open breasted
    In gentleness of spring,
    The north'rn winds are quiet,
    The west wind winnowing.

Behold all things are springing
    With life come from the dead,
    The cold that wrought for evil
    Is routed now and fled.

In all this sweet renewing,
    How can a man not sing.

Now go the young men singing,
    And singing every bird,
    And harder is he than iron
    Whom beauty has not stirred.

And colder ithan the rock is he
    Who is not set on fire,
    When cloudless are our spirits,
    Serene and still the air.

[Instrumental Interlude]

And colder ithan the rock is he
    Who is not set on fire,
    When cloudless are our spirits,
    Serene and still the air.

The woods are green with branches,
    And sweet with nightingales,
    With gold and blue and scarlet
    All flowered are the dales.

And yet when all men's spirits
    Are dreaming on delight,
    My heart is heavy in me
    And troubled at her sight.

If she for whom I travail
    Should still be cold to me,
    The birds sing unavailing,
    'Tis winter still for me.

Regards,

Jack
    Last edited by jacksiru; 06-20-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Revised version.

Re: Concerto for Springtime (Sirulnikoff)

There are parts of this I really like. For instance, about 7 or so minutes in you have some solos, like a sax solo and trombone solo, and it sounds great. But....

I hate the synthetic voice. Every time it starts I cringe. Not only that, but it seems to make everything around it sound bad. I have no idea what is happening in the music at those points because I can't hear anything else. I would go back to the cello or use a clarinet or something.

Sorry for being so harsh. I think the purely instrumental parts sound great but I almost didn't get to hear them (except the intro) as I was so tempted to give up. And I'm sure the parts with the voice are written just as well as the instrumental parts, but the sounds don't do them justice, or, I should say, do them a great injustice.

Anyway, just my 2 cents - others might love the voice.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for your comments, Trent. That would appear to be the general concensus. I was thinking of giving up on this piece before, and thought I would try to make a change, but I guess it was a bad choice.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi, Jack

I've long hesitated to post a reply on this, because Trent really already spoke for me in his post about the synthetic voice. It's too bad, but I agree that the voice is so distracting that the music itself can't be focused on.

But - as I always say when I try something that doesn't quite work out, "It was a worthy experiment!"

What I could notice of this piece, which is very dense and maybe one could even say, "difficult," is that there were times when you moved instruments way too down in the mix. There isn't a cohesive feel to the presentation, and of course then the composition itself suffers.

However, I can't be sure about anything, because - the voice was so unhelpful. An English Horn makes for a good vocal stand in.

Sorry Jack.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm working on it now - but maybe it's not really salvagable. I've gone back to the solo cello for the voice part; it was originally intended for a male vocalist. Then I'll try to improve the sound. Then we'll see...

I was thinking I should delete this thread (if I can figure out how), but I wanted to reply to you first.

Regards.

Jack

Jack

It is a bit low in volume, but I can always turn it up.

This is so very different from what I expected.

I have to agree with everyone else about the synth voice. It is very distracting from what I am sure is otherwise a noce piece.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Ron,

Thanks for listening, and for your comments.

The question of levels is something I'm nor sure how to handle.The wave file as it is, goes to the maximum allowable level. And yet if it sounds too soft in places, should I be using compression ?

The file has now been revised eliminating the synthetic voice, and with the solo cello in the intended range.

Regards,

Jack

Jack

This sounds so much better with the cello.

I do my final volume check in Audacity and have found that I almost always have room to come up and do so using audacities increase volume. . Then I make my MP3 right there in audacity.

It is free, so check it out

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for listening again,Ron, and thanks for the info.

I'll check out Audacity, but I use Cool Edit Pro and Cool Edit 2000, which I think do the same things.

After I've made the .wav file, I check it out in these programs. In the case of this piece, it fits almost perfectly to the maximum (actually slightly over in one spot). However, in general, when I play my recordings over my stereo system, I find I have to set the level higher than I do when listening to the radio or to (most) commercial recordings.

Another question in this regard is: would you always boost a recording to the maximum ? What if the piece is supposed to be quiet? Especially if I've recorded a suite of pieces, I would want to show the contrast between the louder pieces and the soft ones.

Best Regards,

Jack

I am compelled to agree. It is overall a fantastic idea. It has a long way to go before I think it would be ready. Maybe you should abandon it temporarily, work on something else, and then come back to it with fresh eyes. (or ears I suppose)
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast