• Register
  • Help

Topic: printing CD booklets and tray inserts...

Share/Bookmark

printing CD booklets and tray inserts...

DOes anyone have any experience with this? I need to print a batch of CD booklets and tray inserts. Anyone know of a special printer that can do it or is it a case of printing one at a time and doing all the folding etc manually...

ANyone know of any good, high quality reliable companies that provide such a service, based in the UK, that they can recommend highly?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Re: printing CD booklets and tray inserts...

I found Photoshop templates on t'internet some time ago but I don't have them now. If you're sending the artwork to a duplication company they need specific formats - 300dpi, CMYK etc.

Guidelines here

If you have a pc, look at the software that came with your CD/DVD burner. Companies like Nero and Roxio bundle a lot of simple applications with their hardware that do just about everything. The two that I mentioned have lable and insert software.

If you have a Mac, I know that the Epson injets that print on CDs come with a lable printing application. I don't remember whether it does inserts as well.

My rule of thumb is always, before you buy anything new, look at what's all ready on your system that you may not be using.

Ben-
    Your question intrigues me. I've been doing small batches of CDs complete with jewel case inserts and disk labels for years. Like the gentleman said, the software and the labels and jewel case inserts are readily available, for either the newer thin jewel case, or the older variety.

I do it for creating CDs of material that I record in my home studio and distribute to friends and family. The finished product is not of commercial quality by any means but is quite acceptable for my purposes. I take my own pictures and the software allows you to include pics or text, with a lot of editing capability.

What I wonder is whether or not any reader has done something similar AND KNOWS HOW TO MAKE DECENT BOOKLETS for incorporation. Thats where I'm stymied. Is there special software, does one use word processing software, do you just fold and staple the darn thing. When I've attempted it, it looks very amateurish.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread-but I think it is the toughest part of what you're trying to do.

Carl

Not too long ago, Forum member Raymond posted info about this free open-source program:

http://www.scribus.net/

Raymond's using it to print CD booklets and posted a template he's using on that thread. I think the basic template for this is in the program.

Randy

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I do have templates and such like available in software I already own, but I know that the results will not be as professional as I like.

I need to do up to 500 of these booklets in the first batch, and I dont want to be doing all the folding and stapling- plus it wouldnt be consistant - so thats why I was asking if anyone knew of a special machine for it that was available commercially, or of any companies they can recommend.

Ive got the CD replication and printing sorted. Its just the booklet and CD tray that I need a solution for now.

Thanks again everyone. Any more suggestions?

Hi, Ben - I thought you wanted to do the work yourself. Well, if you want a company to do it, then there are places like this:

http://www.uprinting.com/cd-booklet-...-services.html

They charge about $500 for 250 booklets. -Maybe that fits your budget, otherwise, I think it could be the time to make the most out of what you're able to do with the printer and templates you have - maybe?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Ben - I thought you wanted to do the work yourself. Well, if you want a company to do it, then there are places like this:

http://www.uprinting.com/cd-booklet-...-services.html

They charge about $500 for 250 booklets. -Maybe that fits your budget, otherwise, I think it could be the time to make the most out of what you're able to do with the printer and templates you have - maybe?

Randy
    Hi Randy, in the original post I was inquiring about both. Was trying to find out if there was a time efficient solution that I can affect myself, or whether it is going to be simply easier to go to a service provider.

Thanks for the link, I will check them out.

Go Back to forum