• Register
  • Help

Topic: Muting Patch and Share fx?

Share/Bookmark

Muting Patch and Share fx?

I have been spending about fourteen hours a day for a while now, learning omnisphere. I would not do this unless it was really an astounding program.

I have gone through all the movies a couple of times and referenced the reference guide. Already I have created some jaw dropping sounds. I am going through my notes and picking up issues I still dont understand.

I totally get the idea of not having an extensive manual as its so much more informative to watch and learn.

Question:
    In the Live mode video I came across the presenter mentioning that in Live mode (video) " Its important to mute Patch fx and share fx". To save CPU.

Being picky I know.. but..

What are Patch fx and share fx?
    Is a patch fx just a regular fx applied to a patch? If so, (and I think this is right) I can mute these.

But what are share fx?

How do you mute them?

The answer is probably obvious.. but I have not clicked yet

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: Muting Patch and Share fx?

Check out the Performation Optimization chapter of the Ref Guide for all the details:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/omn...ts/page02.html

Eric, a couple of questions regarding Omnisphere:

1. In the manual it says that regarding "voices" "...Anytime you are running low on CPU power, this is the first area to look at for conserving CPU.".
    Does voices mean the number of keys on the keyboard that I can press and still hear all the keys playing? For example 3 voices means I can only play 3 notes at a time? Does "voices" in any way affect the audio quality of the patch?

2. If I only play 1 note at a time for a certain patch is it safe to set "voices" to 1?

3. If I have "voices" set to 10 but I only play 1 note at a time, does it use more CPU than if I set "voices" to 1?

Thank you for answering.

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    Eric, a couple of questions regarding Omnisphere:

1. In the manual it says that regarding "voices" "...Anytime you are running low on CPU power, this is the first area to look at for conserving CPU.".
    Does voices mean the number of keys on the keyboard that I can press and still hear all the keys playing?
    Yes, but more braodly "Voices" means the number of simultaneously sounding notes....which includes the notes that may still be "releasing".

For example 3 voices means I can only play 3 notes at a time?
    Basically, yes.

Does "voices" in any way affect the audio quality of the patch?
    No.

2. If I only play 1 note at a time for a certain patch is it safe to set "voices" to 1?
    Each note with then retrigger, which may or may not be what you want depending on the release settings of the sound.

You don't need to set the voices parameter if the sound has Solo ON by the way.

Experiment with the results yourself and try is my best advise.

3. If I have "voices" set to 10 but I only play 1 note at a time, does it use more CPU than if I set "voices" to 1?
    Most likely YES. But if the release is at zero then NO.

Thank you Eric.
    So release is like reverb or delay for example? those will be cut abruptly as soon as I press another key which exceeds the number of "voices"?

No, release is the decay of the note after you release the key. FX Units like Reverb and Delay are not affected by the number of voices you set.

Hi Yairhol,
    I can see where one mighht get confused here. In a natural instrument say a flute being played in a room, when the player finishes pushing air through, there is a 'reverberation' which last a few milliseconds after the player stops. There is also reverberation as he plays the sustain note.
    In recoding a real instrument the engineer will often slice the sound into three pieces the 'attack' - as the embrouchure/ tounging sounds settles down in our flute player, the sustain (the middle bit) and the release trail.
    This way if the user wants the note to sustain longer than the original recording, the aatack is first triggered, then the sustain is looped for as long as you need it to, and on note up the release trial triggers.
    So yes, its all reverb in a sense - release trails are reverb, but in normal enginer speak a release trail is not.
    Applying engineered reverb to a signal sound 'inferior' (unless you need that particular sound of course' as it does not capture or imitate the reflections of a real room well. Over the past few years Convolution Reverb has appeared though. This is CPU intesive, and worked by someone actually miking up a real hall(s) then pinging out a signal. When this signal arrives at the mikes in the hall it is saturate in the real reverb of the space. Then, by hocory pokery, the orginal ping algorithm is taken back out of the recording leaving the reverb of the real space.

Getting back to Omnisphere - as you know I am no expert, but usually the (physical) key fires the attack sample on the way down, the sustain last as long as the key is pressed (looping if required), and the 'release sample' fires on release. Envelopes and other factors are capable of shortening or lengthening the release. With artificial sounds such as Omni, ususally the sound does not have a seperate release sample(but could do I guess).

This is a bit of an over explanation but I thought you weren't clear about a few things

hope it helps

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Go Back to forum