• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Turmoil (jazz) by Living Waters Jazz

Share/Bookmark

Turmoil (jazz) by Living Waters Jazz

Inner struggle, having a bad day, or you can't sleep? Here's your song.

I originally did Turmoil a year ago. Back then it was only a rough draft and for a good while it was put on the back burner for other projects. My business has been so busy the past year that I needed to revamp this tune just to wind down. I even have one song which has been finished for months now that I haven't even taken the time to upload yet. That'll be next while I start a new arrangement to work on.

One of my all time favorite songs was Glenn Miller's arrangement of the Song Of The Volga Boatmen. So I based Turmoil's arrangement on that template and went to work. Unfortunately when I dusted off the arrangement I felt I had changed a number of the 'ways' I do things and had to redo much of the controllers and experimented with some sample sound changes. I try to be a stickler for the rendering which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of music creation for me.

Anyway, without any further adieu, here's the link to Turmoil. (Mostly finished though I would like to make a couple of small changes before I declare Fine).

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7725787

Rich 'Fats' Garber (it's sooOOO true!)

Living Waters Jazz

Re: Turmoil (jazz) by Living Waters Jazz

Well now, "Fats"--hehe--THAT is a totally superb sounding JABB project. I am sure I haven't heard the Library being used to better effect ever.

I really admire the loose, natural performance from every single player in your virtual jazz band. Wow.

The harmonic structures of the composition didn't always sit all that comfortably on my ears, but then--there was Turmoil there, as per your title.

Thanks for this--gotta say Wow again.

Randy

When somebody asks me: "What is Jazz" I will direct him to this great piece of music. Great rendering, great orchestral compilation. Those trumpets are really marvellous.

Thank you,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well now, "Fats"--hehe--THAT is a totally superb sounding JABB project. I am sure I haven't heard the Library being used to better effect ever.

I really admire the loose, natural performance from every single player in your virtual jazz band. Wow.

The harmonic structures of the composition didn't always sit all that comfortably on my ears, but then--there was Turmoil there, as per your title.

Thanks for this--gotta say Wow again.

Randy
    Hi Randy, always glad to hear your comments. I'm getting older and it seems all I have to do is just look at food and I got an extra pound, or two.

I use a mixture of libraries as you know but really the trick with rendering seems to come a lot in the eq/mix. The real master is Old Bob whose efforts I used to study, if you can imagine that. Listening to his works made me realize that there was something outside of the controllers he was doing but it took awhile to figure out. You guys suggested more 'air' to the mix and ever since I've noticed a livelier mix.

I didn't follow you on the harmonic difficulties, do you mean in the ensemble soli?

Thanks again for listening!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    When somebody asks me: "What is Jazz" I will direct him to this great piece of music. Great rendering, great orchestral compilation. Those trumpets are really marvellous.

Thank you,

Raymond
    Thanks Raymond! Wonderful compliment, I appreciate that.

Rich

I really enjoyed this. The playing is so natural - When I hear renderings like this it is so hard to believe that it is, well, a rendering. I like the composition too - the solos work very well.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by rgarber View Post

I use a mixture of libraries as you know but really the trick with rendering seems to come a lot in the eq/mix. The real master is Old Bob whose efforts I used to study
    Hello again, Rich - Thanks, actually I didn't remember that you use a mixture of libraries, but now I remember that from past posts.

Something that's been working well here in The Listening Room for awhile now is for us to spell out the Libraries we've used in pieces, especially when they're a blend of instruments other than Garritan. It avoids confusion, and is instructional at the same time. Maybe you could come back and tell us what all you used. I'd be interested.

Old Bob--Oh man he's great, and I really miss him here on the Forum. Several really helpful and inspiring people have been absent for awhile, some really recently disappearing. It's a drag!
    Quote Originally Posted by rgarber View Post
    I didn't follow you on the harmonic difficulties, do you mean in the ensemble soli?

Rich
    I was pretty vague, yes. I was generalizing that the composition itself didn't always grab me - how's that for being vague again. There were passages with chord structures that sounded awkward to me, but then I'd remind myself that "Turmoil" is the title and I should expect to not always be grooved out. Lol--something like that.

Sure glad you put this up for us, Rich.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I really enjoyed this. The playing is so natural - When I hear renderings like this it is so hard to believe that it is, well, a rendering. I like the composition too - the solos work very well.
    Thanks Trent! That's a great compliment and really, it's the kind that it just doesn't get any better. They say that horn players tend to do better horn lines and maybe that has something to do with the natural effect. One thing I've been trying to do with this latest round of renditions is pinpoint just what makes a live recording sound 'live.' I've developed a couple of tricks that I think is helping. Thanks again!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello again, Rich - Thanks, actually I didn't remember that you use a mixture of libraries, but now I remember that from past posts.

Something that's been working well here in The Listening Room for awhile now is for us to spell out the Libraries we've used in pieces, especially when they're a blend of instruments other than Garritan. It avoids confusion, and is instructional at the same time. Maybe you could come back and tell us what all you used. I'd be interested.

Old Bob--Oh man he's great, and I really miss him here on the Forum. Several really helpful and inspiring people have been absent for awhile, some really recently disappearing. It's a drag!

I was pretty vague, yes. I was generalizing that the composition itself didn't always grab me - how's that for being vague again. There were passages with chord structures that sounded awkward to me, but then I'd remind myself that "Turmoil" is the title and I should expect to not always be grooved out. Lol--something like that.

Sure glad you put this up for us, Rich.

Randy
    I've gotten worse than just using a mixture of libraries, remember we talked about giving the band members names and then the fella posted all those funny names? LOL! So I have names for the band members now as well as the playing styles. Next up is pictures.

The libraries I use are primarily JABB, CH Horns 1.5 and 2.0. 1.5 are solo horns whereas 2.0 is sectional instruments. I also use Gigastudio's piano and Quantum Leap Brass tenor sax. Just to be clear, these sometimes are not the best sounding samples but their tambre sometimes works better in within a sectional. For instance, I use the QL tenor sax but only as a sectional. If I do a tenor sax solo then I use the JABB tenor sax. In this particular tune I used the CH 2.0 Bari Sax instead of my usual JABB bari. The results were kinda 50-50 though somebody would probably think I'm crazy for saying that. Keep in mind that much of the trick in rendering is in the EQ/Mix process.

This was discussed a very long time ago but you can download Tom's Sonar worksheets when the demos were done and one thing I noticed is in some of them the EQ is being changed on the fly via automation. It took a long time to wrap this old noodle around that one. I haven't that kind of patience.

Old Bob's mastery is he did his renderings all with JABB and his renderings ARE amazing. I have to cheat using other libraries and I, having played Bari just blow the crap out of the WX5. So I hardly ever use it. I tried that little headset thing he uses ( Yamaha BC13? ) and I look like Dizzy Gillespie when I do. So I gotta do everything by hand. I use a digi-tablet with pen now too with Sonar 8 which speeds things up.

I thought you might be refering to the harmonies in the brass soli. Sometimes I don't know what to do with the subsequent notes in the following beats if the chord doesn't change.

Rich

Gday Rich,

This is art created with the tools of advanced and complex technologies. The result is most enjoyable.

Thank you,

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast