• Register
  • Help

Topic: About 64bit: experience to share??

About 64bit: experience to share??

Hi colleagues,

as a partisan (but not rich enough to buy a new one...LOL) Mac Pro user, I underestimated the power (and the truble) coming out from my new PC, running a native 64bit Vista Home Premium (incredibly good and unexpensive 1K€ vs. 2.5K€ of same performance Pro Mac).

I was planning to use it only for fun (video editing and video games) but it's soooooo fast, that i didn't resist to the temptation of installing some of my music software....and so pleasure and pain started mixing in a full mess...LOL

The performances of the system due to large RAM and core2 Quad are amazing...never so much and demanding VI sessions played before in my studio...BUT...

No 64b software!!...compatibility issues...not available drivers...90% of my HW and SW are obsolete for the new system and 50% are simply not working at all...

The question is: had some of you a trial of real 64bit music software? (e.g. Cubase 5 + last generation 64bit effects and players)

I'm worried buying some update that seems to be still very unstable according forum and communities, and I can't understand and estimate the real benefit: suggestions and experiences are welcome, thanks in advance.

Re: About 64bit: experience to share??

Maybe this helps (although they talk about Windows 7, I guess it applies to Windows Vista as well):

So there are a few options:

1. Just use 32-bit Cubase and 32-bit plug-ins on Vista 64-bit. This works, but you are limited in memory usage (4 GiB)
    2. Use 64-bit Cubase with as much as 64-bit plug-ins possible and try to load the remaining 32-bit plug-ins through jBridge. Some will work, some might not.

And hardware... that's even more problematic in some cases. You can only use 64-bit drivers on 64-bit Vista. Unfortunately there are still manufacturers not providing (decent) 64-bit drivers. So in that case you're left holding the baby... You can't use the concerning hardware on Vista 64-bit. See how some people try to get around those driver issues:

So, if you have too many of these compatibility issues, you'd rather use XP 32-bit or Vista 32-bit.

Disclaimer: I don't and haven't run a 64-bit Windows system myself, but am in the process of researching my future upgrade options from Windows XP 32-bit.

thanks Durk.

You're welcome. I need to add that Cubase was just an example; the same story applies to other hosts as well.

two cents worth, at best!

I am running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 RC1 on a spare drive in my studio. I have been able to get all my hardware to work, although installing some of the drivers was a challenge. This includes:
    - Frontier Dakota/Montana/Sierra audio and MIDI interface sub-system
    - UAD-1 DSP Card
    - UDA-2/solo DSP Card
    - Frontier Tranzport
    - DREADED iLok Dongle
    - Syntrillium Red Rover
    - Peavey StudioMix
    - Adaptec AHA-2940UW

The StudioMix an Red Rover are really Sonar issues rather than OS issues, but when one makes the leap to 64 bit all bets are off, so I include them in the list.

Software has been a good experience thus far without having to resort to any form of compatibility mode. I am using the following tools - all of which install as x86 except Sonar, which I install as both X86 and X64:
    - Sonar 8
    - Sound Forge 9
    - Wavelab 5
    - sampleWrench
    - CD Architect 5
    - AcidExpress (latest, I really don't use it much)
    - Finale 2010
    - MidiQuest 9
    - Translator
    - MIDI-Disk Tools

Plug-ins, are another matter entirely. Frankly there are very few that install and operate properly in 64 bit mode. The list of problem children is longer than the list of success stories, but I'll go through them this weekend and amend this post with my list.

What I have found, and it's interesting, is that if I run Sonar in x86 mode it seems to take better advantage of the currently installed 4GB of memory than running Sonar under Windows XP using the /3G switch, and using the /3G switch under XP was a huge improvement over using only 2GB of memory.

I have mixed feelings about X64 today, but once all the developers jump on the bandwagon I do believe it will be a great boon for us electronic musicians!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise

Took me literally 7 months of back'n'forth between 32 and 64bit vista to get my 64 fully up and running.

Moral of the story:

EVERYTHING has to be 64bit. Everything. Use as little bitbridge, jBridge, etc. as you POSSIBLY can. Yes jBridge works, and yes Sonar has its own bitbridge, but trust me the glitches are there and they'll stop you in your tracks (no pun intended!).

I wanna put a plug in for SIR2 (what's with these puns?!). It sounds great, supports true-stereo and has a VERY easy true-stereo authoring tool, the UI is superfast and super easy, included IRs are few but sound pretty darned good really, honestly you can't go wrong (plus there's other packs out there available, of course). Most importantly, it can run in 64bit native, and it runs faaaaaaaaast. No noticeable latency whatsoever. Brilliant plug, lifesaver... and I'm comparing it to altiverb here!!
    Wilbert Roget, II

Recently I built 3 x Intel i7 920s each with 12 Gigs of RAM and each running on Vista 64 Ultimate.
    I have one Intel Core 2 Duo 3 Gig with 4 Gigs RAM on Win XP32.

The biggest issue with 64 Bits to me is Plug-ins. Everything else works fine. After much debating, testing and so forth I have come to the conclution that the best solution is really simple.

For those on a budget just get a used 3 Gig Core 2 Duo as a slave. I've picked them up dirt cheap. Generally for $250 then add a new drive and RAM. Still cheap!

Use Vista 64 on your master system and XP32 on the slave and use-
    MIDIoverLAN CP and all your probs are solved.

Really though, all this talk about Jbridge and using this and that to solve probs is just silly. Keep your system clean and mean.

If you want 64 Bit then use a slave. Otherwise you WILL have issues.

This is my post re the new 64 Bit systems.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

jBridge is absolutely great.
    Better CPU optimisation and lower latency has been possible with this little app than was ever possible without it.
    I have found the magic formula to be 64 bit PC OS, 32 bit app with memory/cpu hogs hosted by jBridge. This combination means that plugins, such as Melodyne, which absolutely refuse to run in a 64 bit host, can be used without issue. (Run any difficult plugs unbridged.... they will just work.)
    Use the Performance mode on jBridge.
    Check out the audioMasterGetTime hack which, according to the pop up menu, "Requests the time info during the audio processing. (May reduce CPU load)."
    May??? It does!!!
    Frankly, jBridge was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Until the DAWs natively can do a better job I am more than comfortable recommending that those who are running Vista 64/W7 check out the free demo and then fork over the 15 euros if they find it as invaluable as I have.
    As a footnote, I am totally relieved to be shot of my slave machines. What a millstone. Something that may be of interest is that Vista , apparently, has some excellent caching routines which seem to optimise loading time to an extraordinary degree. For example, using jBridge, I had 20 loaded Halions and an Omnisphere in my project. The first time the project loads from a cold start it takes nearly 9 mins to complete. After that, projects which use a similar template - or a reload of the project - take a mere 41 seconds. Projects which choke on a 'normal' non jBridged 64 bit host are running with apparent ease when jBridge is handling the work.

To clarify something Durk wrote above... if using a 32 bit version of the host (Cubase etc) each plugin can address up to a theoretical 4 gigs of ram. This has proven to be more than adequate for one instantiation of a sampler/rompler.

Go Back to forum