• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good midi fader controller (not keyboard)

Share/Bookmark

Good midi fader controller (not keyboard)

I have an oxygen8 midi keyboard, and while it works ok for just playing some keys, the faders on it don't work so well. When moving them up and down quickly it skips very dramatically, which makes them impossible to use for things such as adjusting the velocity crossfade in VSL, or using them as volume controls.

Let's say I raise the fader up from 0 to 127 in about a half second time. Rather than running up through all of the values between 0 and 127, it only hits about 3 different numbers (Let's say 12, 64, and 103), which makes the audio sound like it is jumping up and down in volume, rather than a smooth fade.

Can someone suggest a fader controler that will give me a smooth transition between midi values? I don't need much, I just want to be able to control CC 11 (or 7, I can't remember which one at the moment).

Alternatively, can someone suggest an expression pedal that can plug directly into the computer? My keyboard now doesn't have an expression pedal input.

Thanks!

Re: Good midi fader controller (not keyboard)

Quote Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
    I have an oxygen8 midi keyboard, and while it works ok for just playing some keys, the faders on it don't work so well. When moving them up and down quickly it skips very dramatically, which makes them impossible to use for things such as adjusting the velocity crossfade in VSL, or using them as volume controls.

Let's say I raise the fader up from 0 to 127 in about a half second time. Rather than running up through all of the values between 0 and 127, it only hits about 3 different numbers (Let's say 12, 64, and 103), which makes the audio sound like it is jumping up and down in volume, rather than a smooth fade.

Can someone suggest a fader controler that will give me a smooth transition between midi values? I don't need much, I just want to be able to control CC 11 (or 7, I can't remember which one at the moment).

Alternatively, can someone suggest an expression pedal that can plug directly into the computer? My keyboard now doesn't have an expression pedal input.

Thanks!
    I had a similar problem. My expression pedal was plugged into my controller keyboard and it would register in my sequencer as moving in steps of 8 instead of increments of 1. The solution I found was an expression pedal controller that Midi Solutions has put out:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

As for a good expression pedal - I use the Yamaha FC7 - Its solidly built and works great - especially now with this pedal controller. Sadly the controller is a bit expensive - much more so than the pedal - but it certainly solved the problem.

A couple of things : You won't be able to plug directly into a computer - you will have to use a MIDI interface. You also will have to send one port of MIDI, from your MIDI controller, back into the pedal controller. It seems that's how the MIDI solutions controller gets its power.

Hope that helps

-AC

I'm very happy with my Korg NANO Kontrol.
    The faders are not that big, but it's ok for me! The price is also another good thing!

there are lots of options...the cheapest of which is probably the korg nanoKontrol. $60. tiny faders but they do the trick. also before you buy something, i've heard of increment issues for some controllers being fixed by software driver updates...might be worth a try.

edit: hannesdm beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    there are lots of options...the cheapest of which is probably the korg nanoKontrol. $60. tiny faders but they do the trick. also before you buy something, i've heard of increment issues for some controllers being fixed by software driver updates...might be worth a try.

edit: hannesdm beat me to it.
    By seconds, apparently!

before spending money on a new controller, check and make sure your midi sequencer is set at a high enough resolution for midi CC recording. Some sequencers allow you to set the resolution/filter midi CC data. You may have something like this on, which is causing it to be recorded as large jumps, though the controller is actually sending much more data than is being recorded.

Go Back to forum