• Register
  • Help

Topic: An idea for Trillian..?

Share/Bookmark

An idea for Trillian..?

Being as its going to be some time before we get Trillian (and if Omnisphere is anything to go by it will be one hell of a product!) I though I would chime in with a wish.

When listening to a real bass playing there is often pick up notes (and even 'muffles' of varying lengths before the beat, which give character to the sound of the line.

Because these pick ups often involve the sliding of a finger across a fret or some other manoevre, these notes frequently have a different (though related) character to the regular sustains.

When creating Round Robin notes Engineers sometimes use techniques to subtly alter the same sample - they might initiate the sample slightly after the attack, or use envelopes to create the impression that one is hearing a different note of the same genre of notes.
    Sometimes I have used two (or more) tracks of bass notes, one for the 'regular' samples, and others with doctored for perhaps shorter, punchier, or even softer samples and interchanged between tracks to create the riff. This is very effective but very time consuming.

Now if we could get at the envelope, amplitude and the firing point of an individual bass sample - for just a single instance of a note, rather than for all notes of that particular pitch, and make those subtle alterations, this would add a lot of character to the line and make it feel like a real bassist who might hit one note with one attack and the next subtly different.
    This could be done if somehow a user altered copy of the sample was stored in the background together with a pointer calling that note when the particular location in the melodic line was reached.
    After one has created such 'bespoke' notes, then it could even be possible for the user to set them as 'round robin' sounds so that sample a playes on first call fo C# sample b on second call - the standard way.

I own a lot of software EWQ Orchestra, Halion Orchestra, GPO, VSL, Kontakt, HAlion 3 and a lot more, and so far as I am aware none of it makes this easily possibly. This really perplexes me as I have always imagined that this function - the ability to altersingle notes (e.g C#3 stacatto) sound without affecting all the other 'C#3 stacatto's' would be something essential to the goal of realism. A real musician does no less when they frame their embrouchure/technique for a given passage.

All this might be planned of course, Eric is a fabulous engineer with a great team.

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Re: An idea for Trillian..?

ZeroZero, I've noticed in your posts that you keep referring to "Trillian", so thought you might wish to note that the new product is actually called "Trilian" (e.g. Eric stated "Yes...all the new sounds in Trilian feature extensive Round Robin sampling"). No offense intended; just FYI..............playz

See also: "http://www.spectrasonics.net/news/namm2009-trilian.php"
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Trillian it is, but what I am talking of above is not round robin but crafting of particular instances of notes - different I think.
    I am posting a lot at present as I am spending all my hours with the products,

Zero.
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero View Post
    Now if we could get at the envelope, amplitude and the firing point of an individual bass sample - for just a single instance of a note, rather than for all notes of that particular pitch, and make those subtle alterations, this would add a lot of character to the line and make it feel like a real bassist who might hit one note with one attack and the next subtly different.
    Sample start, amplitude, and various envelope parameters are all modulatable in STEAM. You can control them with velocity or midi cc or any other modulation source. Varying those from note to note is indeed very useful.

- Glenn

Hello All,
    Yes I have just been looking at the NAMM videos for Trilian - looks very promising to me.
    As for each individual note instance being customisable - well I am prepared to accept it is if I am being told this. I have omnisphere and am learning it presently, I wonder if you can do this here - with this Steam Engine?

Thanks all for the input and support. I will look in to what you are saying Glenn

Zero

Go Back to forum