• Register
  • Help

Topic: I also got my new website up and running...

Share/Bookmark

I also got my new website up and running...

Hi!

Since some others have also posted about their new portfolio sites, I decided to tell about mine, too.

I've been trying to think for a long time how to put up my stuff so that it's easy for the viewer to see and access and would work on all browsers and I think it's now quite near to how I imagined it should be.

The text is occationally quite "praising", it's meant to be a PR site for me to get work someday, so don't get overwhelmed by the text...

Any comments and suggestions appreciated! =)

The address to my site is: www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Re: I also got my new website up and running...

Hi Juhana,

I think the aesthetics are great. It is clean, consistent and works well.

There are a number of little issues I would like to point out:

On the About Juhana page, your photo (which I really like) has a tiny piece triangle of white light in the top left corner. I suggest you consider filling that in or cropping the image horizontally just below that triangle. It upsets my sense of order.

The wording throughout is a little confused between first-person-singular (I), first-person-plural (we), second-person (you) and third person (Juhana, he). You might want to look at that. You will engage the reader more fully if you settle on a single perspective, or use first (singular or plural) and second, or second and third.

The welcome page, while good, competes a bit with the About Juhana page - both offer information about Juhana.

The fact that you put your menu items at the very top, above your masthead, was a little off putting at first, but after a short while I grew to like it. It is fresh and a little different.

Overall, this is a nicely constructed web site and it will do you well for a long time. It will not date as it uses classic techniques to achieve its look. Well done.

Thank you very very much for the feedback! I've actually heard already quite a bit of the "I, we, you"-thingy. It's so hard to write everything in 3rd person (as I had planned doing it), especially when especially when describing projects that I have myself participated or worked with. I promise to work on those and try to make it consistent.

I fixed the white triangle in the photo you mentioned, thanks! I also made the text on the front page a bit shorter and left the detailed descriptions of musical styles to the "About Juhana"-page, now the front page should work more like a welcome-page without going too much into it.

Thanks again!!!
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Don't be shy to use the first person. I suggest you do a version of both and make an A/B comparison. Try it out on a few friends, or on this version.

You could put the second version in a subdirectory and point people to that for comment. It will either work really well or it will not. But let other people give you their opinion.

For what it is worth, I didn't find your website too braggy (boastful) at all.

I just always thought that it somehow feels more reliable when someone else tells about me. Like reading it on a paper. It somehow feels less braggy when it's not me writing it (even though it is). I'll consider this A/B option too, it's a good idea and maybe try it out!

But do you think it eats professionality and credibility of the site somehow if I write it completely in first person? This would make it more like a personal homepage. Hmm, maybe what I'm after here is that it somehow feels like a private musician (=written in first person) vs a professional music company (=written in third person). Do you know what I mean? What do you think (not only about my site but in general)? Do you see it this way when visiting a site?
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I noticed the Estonia piano. I have a DVD about the Estonia piano company that show to my students - a very interesting and inspiring story.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

I'd like to hear the story!

I have tried played piano, but it's not mine. It's in an auditorium at the University of Jyväskylä (Finland), that's where the picture was taken.
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

In terms of credibility, people will see through the marketing spin. If you want to portray a corporate presence, you should have a corporate name for your website and hide behind that. But this is not that and I would not encourage you to do that.

If you think you are good enough as maestro then promote yourself.

The arts is an area where self promotion and thinking you are the best is OK.

I have a friend who has for many years pronounced that he is the best sculptor in the world.

If he was an IT professional, a lawyer or an engineer, I would have problems with that. But an artist is entitled to a bit of that. But it needs to come from your work.

It is OK to say/imply "I wrote this", "I wrote that", "You too can have a commission like this", "Would you too like to have a fresh Scandinavian approach to your work - my credentials speak for themselves."

And that last point gives me the most clarity - let your credentials speak, but stand behind them with pride.

But it's your gig - do you what YOU feels right!

Oh, very good points! Thank you so much for help! I think I'll re-think the approach a bit...
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Go Back to forum