• Register
  • Help

Topic: What do you think about this new piano

Share/Bookmark

What do you think about this new piano

Hello:

I recently received a newletter about this new release.

http://www.acousticsamples.net/index...products_id=17

What do you think, I have the A-Pian and love the sound of it, but I am not sure if I really need this one, since I most of the mega libraries, especially the Q L pianos and most of sampletekk. The price seems great though. The demos seem to have too much reverb. The video demo sounds better. Comments?

Ddarwin

Re: What do you think about this new piano

I do like what this developer is doing. The sound of the A piano is great, and I'll doubtless buy it at some point. I agree about the reverb in the demo for the new piano, however. You might request that he record another, drier demo? Or is the reverb in the samples?

Hi Jake:

How you been. I haven't posted here is some time. Anyway, I too like their approach and what they are trying to achieve. Well if you see the video demos, you can see that they were recorded in a performance hall, so the reverb could possible be built in. Not sure though. The video demos don't seem to have as much.

Jake, did you get a chance to listen to the video demos, what does that reverb sound like to you, before I shoot a mail to them asking about the reverb. What do you think about the timbre, its only 4 velocity sampled, so I was wondering if it may get tiring to the ear after a while. Wondering if they have multiple splits with filers within each layers.

Here is another new developer I came across. They have a Kawai RX-3, Bechstein, Steinway-B, and Boesendorfer-211. This is the only sampled Kawai that I am aware of, except for the Kawai digital pianos. They even have demos to try out. I have not tried them yet.

http://www.pianowave.de/e-index.htm

Dd

ddarwin, thanks for providing the link. the Steinway-B sounds really sweet. but, i don't know... does the world need another relative small-sized piano sample? i do like the fact that the market is moving into smaller pianos, maybe we can get more vintage samples. i guess we all keep buying the new ones because we eventually get sick of the ones we have. the whole enterprise seems so futile. I own em all and am applying for my monty python pursuit of the piano sample holy grail quest badge...I have recently downloaded the pianoteq demo, and for all my appreciation of what they've done, i feel more like an engineer than a piano player when i sit down with it. endlessly tweaking and just not loving what i am hearing. the one i would love to sit down and play with is the roland v-piano- but for $6K i am not sure what their marketing department is thinking about and even though i live in a city of 5 million- Atlanta- there is not one dealer here who has one to try out - they all know trying to sell a $6000 computer is a very tough sell..... has anyone written about the new modeled piano (link below) that hit the market in June- Supreme Pianos by Sound Magic, which judging from the website is a Chinese outfit. the blue and red pianos sound pretty nice (as all of them do through my computer and headset.....sigh)..

http://www.soundemon.com/products/spiano.htm

after doing some googling around on the piano mentioned in my post above- seems like it has been completely discredited in several blogs as not even being a modeled piano, but sometime of b-stard stepchild. so its sounds like it is not even worth wasting any time on it...

In Atlanta, the GuitarCenter off North Druid Hills Road (the one on the access road that runs parallel to 85 North) has a Roland V-Piano. It's set up just as you go into the back keyboard room, on the left. Be prepared for the usual GuitarCenter problem--all those other people trying out the Motif's and Fantoms.

In any case, getting a decent keyboard and getting the velocity sensitivity and velocity curve set right has helped me to get the best sounds from piano libraries.

Jake- thanks for that. The marietta store told me they wouldn't be carrying it anywhere. but that's the kind of response you'd expect from guitar center. never have so many known so little. I should be kinder, there are some good guys working there and i've given them plenty of dough over the years..... anyway, i had to be in Birmingham today and stopped at Art's Music there, which had one set up- and it was great because nobody was making any racket and i could put on my headset and played for an hour. i'm going to post about it on the V-piano thread...

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7 View Post
    Hi Jake:

How you been. I haven't posted here is some time. Anyway, I too like their approach and what they are trying to achieve. Well if you see the video demos, you can see that they were recorded in a performance hall, so the reverb could possible be built in. Not sure though. The video demos don't seem to have as much.

Jake, did you get a chance to listen to the video demos, what does that reverb sound like to you, before I shoot a mail to them asking about the reverb. What do you think about the timbre, its only 4 velocity sampled, so I was wondering if it may get tiring to the ear after a while. Wondering if they have multiple splits with filers within each layers.

Here is another new developer I came across. They have a Kawai RX-3, Bechstein, Steinway-B, and Boesendorfer-211. This is the only sampled Kawai that I am aware of, except for the Kawai digital pianos. They even have demos to try out. I have not tried them yet.

http://www.pianowave.de/e-index.htm

Dd
    I'll have to try the pianowave samples later. (I need to get a new cpu sometime in the not-so-distant future, so I'm putting a hold on new libraries.)

But about the pianos you speak of in your original post: I do like the dryer versions of the demos much more. They seem a little wide, though--the bass too far to the left compared to the treble. There's no center? I think I still like their earlier piano better.

Thank you for your information and soon reply to my question.

Go Back to forum