• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's reformat time AGAIN!

Share/Bookmark

It's reformat time AGAIN!

Well, wish me luck. I am looking at reinstalling Windows XP (second time in just over a year). All my USB ports and controllers just decided to stop working. Re-installs of their drivers gives me error messages saying the driver files are missing some information. I even tried system file checker and got no help in fixing the problem. Either all 8 of my ports are shot or my windows OS is completely dis-com-bobulated (is that a word?).

I might try Windows 7 but I would prefer to go to 64 bit since my CPU is 64 bit and running a 32 bit OS. Maybe that's my problem. Anyone know if I can migrate to 64 bit when my previous OS was 32 bit?

Ugh, I hope Aria is out soon. I can't wait to re-install Kontakt 2 Player again. I wonder how many installs I have left? hmmm.......

Luckily, my wife has a computer that will at least get me to the internet so I can check in out the forum.

Cross my fingers... here I go...
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: It's reformat time AGAIN!

Well, unless the gremlins attack in force, I expect you should be able to install without loss of data. Seems like an hour or less ought to find you up and running.That does not alter the fact that your problem is a real pain to overcome!

Richard

I have a piece of technical advice that will save you from these miseries.

Get a Mac.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good luck with the reinstall, I hope it works out well for you!

-Kevin

P.S. Crossing your fingers isn't the best solution given your situation. I suggest activities involving chicken bones.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

LFO,

mmmm, I love chicken...

I remember the Apple IIe ... no thanks

Richard,

I think if I change to the new Windows 7 RC 64 bit from my XP 32 bit it will involve re-formating my C: drive and there goes all my software and it will need to be re-installed.

I may just try your idea first and re-install windows XP over my present mess. If that works, then you are correct and it will be a minor hassle.

Thanks for the comments and support.

Rich

I already had a PCI to USB card and it is not recognized either. I have 6 MoBo USB ports and 2 on a PCI card. I also have a powered hub with 7 more slots. None work because the drivers seem corrupt in Windows. I get an error message when installing the drivers for the USB controllers.

Something must be totally amiss since my Acronis backup image will not recover the image to the hard drive that I have saved as backup for the system.

Thanks for the comments. It looks, though like I will be wiping this hard drive clean and reinstalling Windows XP or jump and try installing Windows 7 64 bit.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Not sure if you're looking for technical advice, but if you're going to reload anyway, I strongly suggest replacing that hard drive since there are only so many places these types of problems originate.

Mark

Mark,

I strongly suggest replacing that hard drive since there are only so many places these types of problems originate.
    That is an interesting point but I'm not sure why the drive needs to be replaced. Cannot a reformat effectively clean the hard drive?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

I don't know the answer to your last question, but I do know that drives are very cheap these days.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Mark,

That is an interesting point but I'm not sure why the drive needs to be replaced. Cannot a reformat effectively clean the hard drive?

Thanks for your help.
    That was also what I would suggest. If your system is *THAT* messed up, it would indicate a possible hardware problem. The hard disk being the most likely culprit. A bad HD will cause data corruption.

Another issue might be the drivers themselves. Flakey drivers can cause all kinds of problems. If your 3rd party drivers have an uninstall, try uninstalling all of them. Then disconnect all your controllers and reboot. See if your system recognizes your USB ports now.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    I have a piece of technical advice that will save you from these miseries.

Get a Mac.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good luck with the reinstall, I hope it works out well for you!

-Kevin

P.S. Crossing your fingers isn't the best solution given your situation. I suggest activities involving chicken bones.
    AGREED!!!

I also couldn't resist.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum