• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Eggshell Dances - #2 (Steinway)

Share/Bookmark

Eggshell Dances - #2 (Steinway)

Hello all,

I posted my Eggshell Dance #1 awhile back, and finally am ready to share #2. I have also prepared the sheet music for both.

Eggshell Dances

This one is quite short, but I am very happy with it. I have two other potential dances for this set, but haven't decided yet whether or not they actually belong together.

As always, thanks for listening,
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Eggshell Dances - #2 (Steinway)

Very cool.

Eggshells can be very fragile or strong depending on the point of pressure.

Your tonality is very - modern? How do you base your harmonies; (in this work specifically) - chord types?

I'm fond of the area with the single note repetition; then opening with wonderful lush, but unstable, chord colors.

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Jamie

Very enjoyable piece. A bit of an odd ending but I am sure it will make more sense once the other parts are written.

I have been a fan of your music since the Cornel Boxes, so keep it up.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Your tonality is very - modern? How do you base your harmonies; (in this work specifically) - chord types?
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your comments.

I wish I could explain how I base my harmonies in a way that is simple to describe, but I haven't worked out how exactly to do so. My process involves continual improvisitory revision, and is largely visually based as lately I write primarily in piano-roll view. I've been slowly working on a written explanation of my processes, partially to solidify it in my own mind, but it's likely still a long time off.

I'm fond of the area with the single note repetition; then opening with wonderful lush, but unstable, chord colors.
    This is my favorite part too, as it starts to relax and sway and finally actually turn into a dance. I have always pretty much stayed away from anything suggestive of a dance, so I decided for these pieces to force it upon myself. I'm sure the reluctance still shines through most of it, though.

Thanks again!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Very enjoyable piece. A bit of an odd ending but I am sure it will make more sense once the other parts are written.

I have been a fan of your music since the Cornel Boxes, so keep it up.
    Ron,

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and very happy to have an ongoing fan of my music.

I have sort of a fascination with what I like to call "question-mark endings," and many of my works feature them -- sometimes at the end of movements, and sometimes at the end of entire pieces. Regarding The Cornell Boxes, a couple of people criticized for my ending of "Balloon Girl (Tilly Losch)" for its non-resolving ending.

In the Washington Post's very brief review of my Five Unlikely Visions they spent all together too much time mentioning that one of the movements ended this way. I think the way they put it was "building up, but ultimately petering out."

Just to be clear, I take no offense at all from your comment -- especially since I take "odd" to be a compliment. I just thought that it might make for an interesting topic of discussion.

Thanks again
    - Jamie Kowalski

And such a brief, delicate eggshell it is! "Question mark ending"---good phrase. I really enjoy that suspended feeling at the end.

Jamie, it's great stuff!--And one could lost in that huge page listing all those compositions--wow!

Randy

I really liked this. I too like the "question mark" ending of this. I listened to both dances since I didn't remember hearing the first. This is quite an interesting suite you have going. I can't wait to hear where you take it from here.
    Trent P. McDonald

Jamie:

Great writing once again. Brief, but very full of innovative ideas
    and harmonic dissonance. I thought the ending was "easy" to take.
    It's not a V-I experience (in the classical sense), but it doesn't
    sound "incomplete" to me at all.

Very well written. So you write in piano roll..........Hmmmmm
    I'll have to try that, but already, it sounds like a "foreign place"
    to be...........lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Kowalski's always a good listen... and these smaller
    pieces are no exception, my friend.

Besides, you know how much of a fan I am of relatively
    brief, rather prelude-like pieces that say what they
    have to say, and not a note more.

#2 is an exemplar of this... very well done -- and
    the ending? Perfect!

Given the topical reference, a dozen, I would hope?

My best,

David
    -----
    David J. Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    And such a brief, delicate eggshell it is! "Question mark ending"---good phrase. I really enjoy that suspended feeling at the end.
    Thanks Randy. One of the things I liked about the word "eggshell" is that it can evoke many different, even conflicting images. "Delicate" is necessary when walking (or dancing) on eggshells, of course. But I wanted to also incorporate a hint of potential danger in this one, and I'm not sure what image that creates when combined!

...one could lost in that huge page listing all those compositions--wow!
    It's a lot to try to display, I know, but I wanted a complete list. I hope the category navigation links at the top help, but I'll take any suggestions for making this page easier.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I really liked this. I too like the "question mark" ending of this. I listened to both dances since I didn't remember hearing the first. This is quite an interesting suite you have going. I can't wait to hear where you take it from here.
    Thank you! I'm starting to second-guess myself now... maybe it's a "semi-colon" ending??

I'm really not sure where this suite is going, but I'll of course post more when and if they ever happen. At the moment I'm not in a rush to add or finish, just being happy that there is a place to go if any more eggy inspiration hits me.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast