• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mirrors: Updated

Mirrors: Updated

So, for those of you who have been following my Mirrors posts, this update includes the new 3rd movement of the piece. I'm still not convinced I've reached the end of this work yet, but I am finding it difficult to create a definite, satisfying conclusion. I may extend the end of the 3rd movement in the future to make a more definite conclusion (I've actually already tried, but was unhappy with the results ) Or, I could add yet another movement.

The 3rd movement, starting at 4:28 is different from the other two movements in that it never changes tempo before reaching the climax. It also has a much faster tempo any other part of the piece.

For those of you who haven't seen my previous posts on Mirrors, this is a song that has been loosely inspired by John Adams. (I'm sure a bit of Phillip Glass has gotten in there as well )

On a side-note, since I had no idea people prefered downloading to streaming, then I'll provide both!

Thanks for listening!

Stream Links:

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7633791&q=hi

(You'll have to click the small "down" arrow next to the picture to download)
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Mirrors: Updated

OUTSTANDING Michael !!!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

I listened to part of this just before supper and have been waiting to get back to it.

Now that it is finished I do hope there will be a 4th movement to this.

The piece is excellent and was a lot of fun to listen to.

The only drawback to it was that I had to turn up my volume to get a better feel for it.

Great piece

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

I got my wish! Michael, last time you posted part of "Mirrors," I recall saying I was hoping you'd be keeping at it, extending the piece. And I also recall the John Adams reference, a composer I'm always thrilled by but who gets mentioned seldomly here at the Forum.

Exciting - I had a great time just now hearing your new SoundClick post with the new movement. wow.

Concur with Ron that the sound level is too low - ?

AND I encourage you to keep hold of the thought you posted, that you may have to go on to a 4th part. What you have built up to the current ending Does need to soar into a more conclusive final section.

Think of Adams' thrilling Harmonielehre - Characteristic of him, you think he can't possibly sustain what he's started, but he Does sustain it, and hypnotizes the listener into a veritable flight. He's bold with his dramatic builds and when it's over you can't help but say "whew! I've been somewhere!"

You can achieve a similar effect with this. Go ahead - part #4 calls you.

Wilton, NH

I like the new 3rd movement. It has more of a sense of mystery the other two - not that there is anything wrong with the other two, I just like the change the new new movement gives. I also agree with the others that you should add a 4th.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks everyone for your comments! I have been working on a 4th movement to this, which I anticipate will be the longest, and final movement. I have to agree with all of you when you say the volume seems a bit low. I think adjusting the wet/dry settings can help this, as well as the slightly heavy reverb skysaw mentioned in my last post.

rbowser- Yes, I know exactly what you mean when you referred to Harmonielehre! I have a good idea of how I'm going to write the 4th movement, the goal is just getting it to flow smoothly at the moment.

trentpmcd- The part I really enjoy about the 3rd movement is the rapidly moving bass part that is introduced about half-way through, and yes, I agree that this creates a much darker feel to the movement.

Right now, the 4th movement is going to use all of the major ostenatos (or most of them) that I used in movements 1-3, but this time, I'll be keeping the title of the song in mind (hint hint )

Thanks everyone for your comments!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum