• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "ZERO" - vocal demo - new show

Share/Bookmark

Arrow "ZERO" - vocal demo - new show

(this poster's significance will become clear--read on...)

I'm collaborating on a new stage musical with Tom Morrison, an old friend who lives in England.

Here's a vocal demo which I hadn't planned on having ANYONE hear besides myself and Tom, but my Forum friends may be interested, so I'm posting it. This was recorded purely as a demo for me to send Tom, showing him what I'd written for his lyrics*.

It's too early to explain everything about the show, but in a nutshell, it's a fantasy version of the 1940's with the music not being limited to musical styles from the period. It's a mostly upbeat musical comedy, pop in its style.

This song is the second one in the show, to follow the opening production number which sets the scene.

The country is going to war. The main character (who sings this song) is a bit too old, out of shape, and suffering physical conditions like near-sightedness in order to enlist as a soldier. He's an out-of-work actor in Hollywood, chagrined that he's unable to serve his country the way he'd like.

Soon after this number, he gets work at a B-movie studio, starring as a kiddie matinee super hero in the mold of Captain Marvel (original poster above), which to some degree fulfills his wish to be more than a “Zero.”

The show's being scored for a smallish band:

--piano, drums, electric bass, electric guitar, a 3 piece brass section of Tenor trombone, Tenor sax, trumpet, and a keyboard filling in with various patches such as strings, woods, organ, and in this song, Electric piano.

The demo features the Garritan Authorized Steinway, and brass soloists from JABB. The other instruments are from Cakewalk's collection.

Lyrics are posted at the end of this post.

"ZERO"

(BOX player mode)

link to direct download (uses your computer's media player)

For those interested in what some individual tracks can sound like for a project like this, here are some BONUS TRACKS. They're all partial snippets from the full project, and all links are for direct downloads to your media player:

--The Steinway – souped up for a bright, pop piano sound. I was overly zealous with the pop-style compression in this single track version of part of the piano's simple rhythm part.

--The Brass section – JABB

--Electric guitar – the great “Real Strat” from MusicLab.

*“ZERO”
    lyrics by Tom Morrison music by Randy Bowser

THE WORLD’S IN A TERRIBLE FIX
    PEOPLE IN AN AWFUL JAM
    EVIL WHIRLWINDS SPINNING TRICKS
    LIONS DROOLING AT THE LAMBS

WHEN MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
    WE'RE ALL IN A TERRIBLE PLIGHT
    DARK POWER RULES THE LAND

AM I THE MAN
    WHO’LL TAKE A STAND
    AND STOP THE HOURGLASS SIFTING SAND?

MY LIFE SO FAR ADDS UP TO ONE BIG ZERO
    SOMEHOW THERE’S GOT TO BE SOME MORE FOR ME, SO…
    I WANNA BE
    I GOTTA BE
    THE SORT OF HERO
    THAT COULD TAKE OUT A TYRANT
    AS BAD AS ANY IMAGINED
    TAKE OUT A TYRANT
    AS BAD AS
    I DON'T KNOW
    MAYBE AS BAD AS --
    NERO!

GUY’S LIKE ME, -GODS NEVER PICK US
    SEEMS WHEN WERE DOWN
    THAT’S WHEN THEY KICK US
    AND HEAVEN KNOWS I’M NO ICARUS
    BUT IT TAKES MORE THAN FATE TO LICK US
    YES IT TAKES MORE THAN FATE TO LICK US

(now singing up to God)

SO DON’T IGNORE
    PLEASE HEAR MY LITTLE PRAYER
    AND DON’T GET SORE AT ME IF I DESPAIR
    I NOW IMPLORE
    HEAR ME IMPLORE
    IF YOU STILL CARE

LET ME SOAR SO HIGH
    SO HIGH UP IN THE AIR
    AM I THE MAN
    WHO'LL TAKE A STAND
    AND STOP THE HOURGLASS
    SHIFTING SAND?

Copyright © 2009 R. Bowser and T. Morrison

Randy

Re: "ZERO" - vocal demo - new show

Hey Randy, glad to be listening to something from you again! This sounds very interesting, maybe a hint of a Billy Joel sound to it? From the brief description you've given about the musical, itself, and the atmosphere created in this piece, it sounds like this could be taken in any direction.

A note about the vocalist featured in this tune, I think I've heard this voice before. Didn't he sing the part of Lily on your Dorian posts a while back?
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hiya, thanks for your reply, Michael. This project is still so much in the early stages, we have a rough outline, place markers for possible songs etc - but it's so in flux that not much more can accurately be explained about it yet. Hopefully the thing will keep growing, and once in awhile I'll fill in more blanks here on the Forum.

Re: The singer on this demo. Yessss, you're correct that you heard him before, as Lily and others in "Dorian." He comes Very cheap, so I'm using him again.

Randy

Sounding GOOD Randy. I will be waiting to hear more.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

WOW!!!

I Really like it Pal...

That was mean wasn't it?

I do have a big grin on my face right now, so it worked for me.

The funny thing about this piece, is that if Bush were still in power, I would have swore you wrote the lyrics as well, or at least the first 7 lines.

I do hope you are able to share this new project with us from time to time like you did with Dorian.

Great stuff Randy and I think you know I sincerely hope you break a leg with this one. Maybe even both of them!!!

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks, Aram - glad you want to hear more! Slowly, I'll share more as the show develops.

Ron--hehe--"In Joke" time with your response. Excuse us, folks--Ron's referencing emails we've sent back and forth.

Interesting observation about the introductory phrases - Tom, the lyricist, had some hesitation about starting off with the heavy images, and I know he was thinking of current or semi-current events. But that's where our story starts, with the country at war, and we intend for it to become clear as the show goes on that it's the Eternal War, not one specific era's war - even though the audience will understand that we're in a theatricalized retro era of some sort which seems most like the 1940's.

Yet somehow, the main thrust of the story remains light. There's broad comedy, and a quirky blend of satirical humor, affectionate homage to B movies, a cartoony version of the Hero's Journey - against a backdrop of an unsettled world where countries are always in conflict.

I appreciate your post, Ron - I remember when you wrote a response to a vocal demo I posted of "Dorian," and even though you don't care for vocal Songs, you still took the time to let me know you enjoyed what I was doing. Super nice--Thanks for doing that again.

Randy

Even if I wasn't privy to your and Ron's e-mails, I could guess exactly what he meant - I know people who used almost those exact words

Sounds like a fun project. I couldn't confuse the music for anybody else's, even without the high priced vocalist (whose voice is very recognizable). You do have a distinct style.

Good luck with this project - looking forward to hearing more.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Trent - Thanks much for your fun response to this post. I'll pass on your comment to my "high priced vocalist."

That's rather encouraging, to know that you can recognize this as one of my pieces. It's so different from "Dorian," and while working on it, I'm sometimes feeling constricted by the demands - the small(ish) band, the need to keep it simpler, more pop and all that. I appreciate your comments on the subject of style.

I'm not sure how clear the show's story line will be delineated as I post more, since it's not the finished thing "Dorian" was when I started posting its music, but nonetheless, I'll be playing things here in the LR as the show develops.

Thanks again, Trent.

Randy

My apologies for getting to the gate a little
    slow, my friend.

Excellent job on the demo!

Congratulations on the new show in the works.
    I knew you couldn't sit still for long... lol!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

oh no--I've been bumped. Don't kick me out, but I have 2 pieces on the front page now! Ooooh nooooo.

hehe---David, I'm very pleased you caught up with this little tune. It's a start, and there are more things to share from the new project, coming soon.

Thank you, my friend!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast