• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vienna Imperial Piano-- far and player's perspectives

Share/Bookmark

Vienna Imperial Piano-- far and player's perspectives

For those of you who might be interested in hearing the new Vienna Imperial piano, here are 2 version's of Chopin's Etude Opus 10 no. 3. The first version uses the far perspective samples:

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5467

The second version uses the player's perspective samples:

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5466

Do you have perference between the two?

Best,
    Jay

Re: Vienna Imperial Piano-- far and player's perspectives

Sounds great, Jay!

One question: If I record a piece with the player's perspective, can I then exchange the pianos without velocity editing?

I like the player's perspective very much, but for many pieces I would use the far perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Sounds great, Jay!

One question: If I record a piece with the player's perspective, can I then exchange the pianos without velocity editing?

Gunther
    Thanks gunther. I did do some velocity editing when I changed perspectives. You could probably get away without making any but if you're a fanatic like me you won't be able to stop yourself from making a few tweaks.

Best,
    Jay

Oops, I am super fanatic.... .

Thanks!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Jay- A beautiful interpretation! Thank you for sharing. A quick question-

How does the piano feel? Natural? Sterile? Also, what kind of (if any) processing did you apply to your recordings?

Thanks again!

Hi Jay,

Once more an excellent choice of repertoire! I've payed this one. It's a rather difficult piece for little reason. This middle part, and those ascending fourths pissed me to great end, while the rest seems very very easy indeed!

I will seperate my reply twofold (as I usually do with your threads).

The sound/samples

I just can't bring me to like this sound. I guess it's a matter of choice, as I've mentioned to Guy as well, but thing is that I think it's too harsh for my ears. It's alive no question about it, repetition samples, velocity layers, all work great (and the work lends itself greatly to portraying those elements), as well as resonance, etc. Everything is ubber cool no doubt! But the sound, the engineering maybe (?) I can't bring myself to like it. It is too... metalic, too harsh, too non tender. (Maybe I'm a Steinway man, myself, dunno).

Being a pianist myself, I largely prefer the second version (player perspective). The stage perspective sent me some queer vibes, that I can't explain right now... :-/

Never the less it's just obvious to me (who I've mentioned a rather negative review of the sound) that the amount of work that's gone into this piano is unsurpassed and unimaginable for me! Simply stunning and it does show .

The music

As always I can't speak on composition issues with your case Jay since you've not posted one of your works like... forever. I've chassed you and mentioned it plenty of times, but you simply won't do it! But I understand I don't really mind. I'm just skipping this part.

I'm listening to your interpretation of this fabulous work for the 4th time in a row. Wanted to acquint myself further before I commented more.

This is one of the few times that I don't agree with your performance in a lot of places. It's much less rubato than I would like it to be, it's more hastily done and all corners, crescendi, diminuendi, etc sound to be 'mathematically' correct, without though having a feeling.

I don't have the time to download the tutorial and have a look at the midi files, since it would involve changing computers, closing down projects, Cubase, etc, but I'm assuming that there's a lot of slops everywhere. And while they do sound very very good, Chopin, especially Chopin and this very slow and romantic piece should have 'abnormalities' in those slopes!

Then again, as it always happens, mine is a personal opinion and nothing more. I can't substantiate any further my thoughts, nore there is a matter of right or wrong.

In either way, I'm off to keep working, but later on I'll sit to play this wonderful etude... (BTW, Op. 10 No.4 would be ideal for the VSL Imperial I think! )

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    (BTW, Op. 10 No.4 would be ideal for the VSL Imperial I think! )
    Nikolas, I have this Etude on my website, I just never put it out on line.

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/Etude%...0%20no%204.mp3

Guy
    http://www.guybacos.com/index.php

Nikolas-- Thank you for your very thoughtful post. I must constantly remind myself to make my musical gestures bigger so that they better communicate my intentions.

Alex-- The only processing I used was the built-in reverb that comes with the Imperial piano.

Guy would be a better person the answer your question about the "feel" of the piano since I don't play my pieces live. But I will say that this new piano gives me a much greater ability to shape phrases in a beautifully subtle fashion.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum