• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings now Available in Giga!

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings now Available in Giga!

Learn a little more (more to be posted) about the new Giga format of the Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings at www.kirkhunterstudios.com

If you have heard the library on other formats, you\'ll know how good they are. However, there are new additions to the giga version, and the programming really takes advantage of the gigasampler.

Re: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings now Available in Giga!

What is the cost?

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

Hello Francis Belardino,

The cost is the same as it has been for all the other formats which is $995.00

Thanks.

$995.00 - Another value priced string library!

Hi Bill

First of all, the KH Strings is 4 CDs (Giga Version)

However, it\'s not about how many CD\'s there are, it\'s about the musicality. (Gigastrings are not looped, and most of the KH samples are, so that takes care of the size issue for the most part.) But let your ears decide. Both are good.

Please don\'t take my comments as vitriolic, but I sorta agree with Bill\'s comments. I\'ve listened to some of the KH demos, and indeed, they are amazing. However, like Bill if I had to choose, I probably would get Gigastrings. But I must say, generally speaking across the board, sample libraries are quite expensive...and for some reason defy the laws of pricing depreciation more than most other stuff. Perhaps, I just want things to be more tangible price-wise for my own selfish reasons, and I know for example KH strings are intended for the high end purchaser, but it would be nice if generally all the libraries were a little more price accessible. Perhaps then there would be a growing number of purchasers?. Maybe I\'m going on all sorts of weird and dead end tangents, ah well... My two cents.

It costs quite a bit more to record a string library than other sections. Remember that some of the sections can have up to 24 musicians. That\'s alot of people to pay. Plus most string libraries have many more articulations than brass or woodwind libraries. The Kirk Hunter library tries to cover more bases than GOS. You won\'t get the variety of articulations per section that GOS gives you. Also, KH doesn\'t give you Maestro Tools and the variety of alternate Up/Down articulations.

Personally, I was not to impressed with demos. The full orchestra demos are drenched in reverb.

Let\'s see...

Virtuoso Strings (3 CDs) for $1k...

GigaStrings (16 CDs) for $1k...

Is there really a choice?

I don’t own it myself, and therefore can’t speak from personal experience, but I have in the past heard several examples of music done with the Kirk Hunter Strings that sounded fine so I don’t have an unkind word for the library. It’s another choice in the marketplace and choice is always to the advantage of the musician.

I do want to set the record straight on one subject though: There are many looped samples in the G.O.S. library, including tremolos and trills. The Full Strings Lite even has looped sustains for those occasions when the 8 to 16 second length of the larger sustain instruments is insufficient for a particular application. And while it’s true that the main sustain instruments are not looped, this fact has little influence on the size of the library. Even if the sustains were all looped, the library would still be 16 CDs. It’s the number of available articulations and massive sample count (around 8500) that is largely responsible for the size of the library. Also, the 8 to 16 second sustain samples will eventually be looped in an update but the length of the samples won’t be appreciably shortened in the process.

Tom you make a good point: GOS and Kirk Hunter sound very different. Its a choice we make as to which sound we are going for. I am a strong supporter of GOS and have not seen the need to buy Kirk Hunter yet, but we must applaud Kirk for porting his library over to the GOS with what appears to be an appropriate amount of programming. As to why I haven\'t bought it, I have GOS and listening to the demos of Kirk Hunter (and thanks that there\'s a LOT of them), its a different sound, and right now I like the GOS sound.

I was very impressed with the solo violin demos from Kirk Hunter, however!!

Go Back to forum