• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Song without Words" for Oboe and Harp

Share/Bookmark

"Song without Words" for Oboe and Harp

Here ist my little "Song without Words" for Oboe and harp, and later on with added strings and solo Violin and Cello. Actually it is not but a beautiful melody. Dream away ...

www.gerdprengel.de/song_for_oboe_and_harp.mp3

Gerd

Re: "Song without Words" for Oboe and Harp

It is a pretty little melody. I would have been happier with it if there was a "B" section in the middle that was totally different.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello, Gerd - Thanks for using the Listening Room for posting your piece. There is a prettiness to the basic material which I think could be made even prettier with a bit more done with the motive's phrasing. You have it repeating and running into itself so continuously, that the melody itself doesn't stand out clearly as it could.

You actually do have a B section about half way through, and it could be a stronger mood shift with some more precise phrasing, and with a more definite difference in its mood.

In the second half, there are several different rhythms happening simultaneously which make the instruments seem detached from each other - they aren't playing in concert, because there are too many different things going on which sound cumbersome and inappropriate for your pleasant and simple theme.

I feel the beginnings of something effective and sweet are in your piece as you've posted it. As indicated in this feedback, I feel that if you simplified your arrangement and made it more precise, that it would then be more attractive.

Thank you, Gerd.

Randy B.

I'm so picky. I think you should have used Oboe 2 modern solo. Or even the english horn solo sound. I don't particularly like this oboe sound. It sounds too afraid to play. I like what you did with the harp though. Near the end, it seems to get a little skiddish. I'm not really sure what I think of that yet. I might have to listen to it a couple times to understand what about it feels skiddish.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Thank you for your advices!
    You were right regarding adding another section with another mood. I did this now by adding a melancholic section in f-minor. I hope you like that better.
    Regarding phrasing I don't really know what you mean. Cann you give me an example with the point of time ?

Gerd

Go Back to forum