• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Hammock ...dedicated to D. Sosnowski

Arrow The Hammock ...dedicated to D. Sosnowski

Both David and Jack thought I should make my last piece (Sanctum at Anderson Lake) into a suite. After thinking about it, I thought that was a great idea!

So now I’ve written a slow movement for the suite. Besides being slow, 90 percent of it never rises above mp in dynamics which is unusual for me, as you might know. But this leads into the last movement so I wanted the contrast.

David’s piano improvs , “Three Solitudes”, were my inspiration for this piece. They were so enticing, I wanted to write something like it for my suite, but in my own style…of course; but the dedication shows where the true inspiration came from.

It’s best to listen to this piece with the lights low (or off) and to visualize a beautiful twilight in the making.

Of course there is a story to this……(oh no, not another story!!)…During one incredible sunset while I was at Anderson Lake, I chose to lie down on an old (emphasis on old) canvas hammock by the lake to watch as the sky did its kaleidoscope colour change into blackness.

In the middle of this idyllic twilight experience, the canvas started to rip. I was careful not to move an iota so I could enjoy the rest of the sunset, but to no avail. The canvas continued to rip and then….clunk I hit the ground and because I was on a hill side, I started to roll uncontrollably towards the lake. (rips represented in this piece by the dissonant chords). Fortunately, I halted my descent by grabbing the life saving roots and branches in my path. Lying still for a moment, to get my bearings I decided I was determined not to be robbed of this visually stunning sunset. So I made my mind up, despite lying on the hard uneven ground, that I was going to relish every moment of this sunset one way or another. After my adrenaline abated, I did actually enjoyed it, all the way until darkness ensued.

Cass (PS, included the link to the piece "Sanctum at Anderson Lake" which is the movement that follows this one, in case you didn't get to hear it.)

The Hammock (Music)

The Hammock (Score)

Sanctum at Anderson Lake (music)

Re: The Hammock ...dedicated to D. Sosnowski

When I post a new piece and I see that it has been listened to 15- 20 times and no one comments on it, I figure I composed a real dud. But I see that the same thing has happened to this one, so I don't feel so bad.

I had to mow the lawn, but just before I went outside I opened this one up to listen to a few measures just to see where you were going to go with it. Well I was mesmerized. I sat there on the edge of my seat waiting to get up and just couldn't.

What a beautiful piece. You have inserted many different emotions into this in a skillful and energetic way.

This is easily my favorite piano piece by you so far.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Wow, very beautiful!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Nice one, Mister Cass. Very nice.

Did I forget to say that it is nice?

Your short, staccato section is contrasty and delightful and the rest is not chopped liver either. Good job. I enjoyed it.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander

Wilton, NH

Very beautiful. I think it is great that some of the "programic" details become such an important part of the music.

I'm a little surprised you are putting "Sanctum at Anderson Lake" at the end. It seems like the piece full of different memories should lead off followed by longer, more in depth, specific memories, like the new piece, "The Hammock". I'm sure you have a plan, so I'll just wait to see how it turns out (or starts out).

Looking forward to hearing the other memories you put to music for this suite.
    Trent P. McDonald

Cass, I believe everyone is well aware of the high regard
    in which I hold your writing -- and I am deeply pleased and
    honored by this.

What beautiful work... yet, with pronounced excursions
    in the thinking -- and more than a hint of teeth enmeshing
    the reflective and the elemental in it. (That poke in the ribs
    here in there doesn't go unnoticed, either.) The hat trick of
    getting such divergence to flow flawlessly, with sense and
    fluidity and grace... for that, still another bow in your

Bravo, my friend.

And thank you.

With admiration,

David Sosnowski

A Brilliant piece of piano music.......Love the L.H. work in the
    beginning. Very romantic in style and yet, harmonically, very
    post-romantic. An excellent "programme" piece as it describes
    what you had indicated up front.....

A really great piano sound, but what you put into it is even more
    impressive. The lilting rhythmic figures toward the end are refreshing
    and provide an ideal climax and release which is indicative of great
    planning as you wrote this piece. Just a super piece of music, Cass.
    I think this is one of my favorites. I'm sure your planned, additional
    endeavors will be equally pleasurable listening.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

What I like about your compositions is the fact that
    each is a surprise package of 'all in one'.

There's always a wide spectrum of moods and scenes
    and typical of your work is also the quick changing of these.

You do it with elegance of tone, harmony and melody,
    in a simple or complex way.

I also love the little embellishments,
    the little grace notes and trills which thrill...

When I hear the quiet moments I always wish
    you would linger more on them...

It's good to have you here!

Yeovil, Somerset

Another beatiful piece here.

I cant say alot... im stuck for words

Must be all the wonderful music i've heard today.

All the best,

Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Suburban NYC

Hey Cass,

Beautiful!! Just as the texture of the worn canvass hammock, your piece is likewise full of superbly textured music. What a gorgeous, reflective piece.

Thanks for sharing your music, and once again, MANY THANKS for providing us with the score ... as usual, lots and lots of things to study and learn from ... thanks for helping us all become better musicians!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast