• Register
  • Help

Topic: Developping library, selling info needed tia :)

Share/Bookmark

Developping library, selling info needed tia :)

Hi all,
    1st question : do you need approval from Tascam/nemesys to create sell and distribute Giga sample libraries, let\'s say on your own site ?

2nd question : If you sample let\'s say a Roland synth, do you need aproval or license from Roland to sample it\'s product and sell it in giga format ?

3rd question: How do you get you libraries distributed by Tascam/Nemesys on their website ,you go to them or they come to you, and do they just handle transaction and you ship the product or do
    they handle the whole transaction ?

I\'m asking this here for i\'ve sent email to Tascam weeks ago and have not heard anything from them since....

Thx for your time
    Franky.

Re: Developping library, selling info needed tia :)

I\'m not a commercial sampler developer but I\'ll take a stab, I\'m sure some of the legit developers will set you straight.

q) 1st question : do you need approval from Tascam/nemesys to create sell and distribute Giga sample libraries, let\'s say on your own site ?

a) Nope.

q) 2nd question : If you sample let\'s say a Roland synth, do you need aproval or license from Roland to sample it\'s product and sell it in giga format ?

This is a grey area and I\'m sure at some point synth manufacturers are going to collect some royalty checks in the near future. However, my Roland manuals clearly state this is not allowed. However, if you create your own patches and then sample those patches, you should be able to sell them.

q) 3rd question: How do you get you libraries distributed by Tascam/Nemesys on their website ,you go to them or they come to you, and do they just handle transaction and you ship the product or do
    they handle the whole transaction ?

a) I would assume you contact them and see if they are interested. If they take you up on it they might ask for an exclusive run, or perhaps they will ask you to ship them a few hundred units and they will pay you as they are sold. Scarbee can fill you in on this.

My two cents, sell the cd\'s yourself. There is no advantage to Tascam selling them. (Unless you want no part in the commerce end of things.) The Giga sample market is small enough, that a few posts on forums like this will get you some pretty quick exposure. Plus when you sell through a distributor they will take 30-50% of the retail price.

I\'ve also thought about sampling my synths sounds and making a few quick bucks, but I have a feeling this idea would come back and haunt me in the future with a lawsuit.

Franky,
    What Roland synth are you sampling? A newer one like the XP-80? If so, you\'ve read my mind! I\'ve been wanting sounds from the XP-80 for Giga for a while now. I own a Roland XP-80 so I wouldn\'t think I\'d need to worry about having the sounds since I already do, but it\'s gotten pretty beat up since I\'ve had it the last 7 years and would love a CDRom version of those sounds.

Thx for replying Munsie, so far your answers confirm exactly what i thought, but i really need confirmation from a commercial developper

Damon,it\'s not a sampler or keyboard i want to sample, it\'s 1 sound from a vintage tone module wich is really hot.

Franky.

Franky,

Email me at info@bardstownaudio.com and I will answer any questions you have.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

Go Back to forum