• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing pitch of vocals

Share/Bookmark

Changing pitch of vocals

I got tired of waiting for Realivox and Garritan Choirs, so I'm preparing to record my vocals live. I am using non-professional singers, because I can't afford pros. My only concern is that range of some numbers (which were written for B'way singers) might be too difficult for them.

I am using Sonar PE 6 and I can't afford to buy anything new right now. I am wondering if it has any tools to change the pitch of the recorded vocals if the singer can't reach the top or bottom notes. And, if so, what does it sound like? (Does it sound electronic or unnaturally altered?)

I am hoping that if there are any problem numbers, I can transpose them into a more comfortable range for the singer during the recording and them re-transposing it and changing the pitch of the vocals in post. (I don't want to permanently transpose any of the songs because I have arranged them in the best keys for the orchestra and I know pro singers can handle the melodies as written.)

Thanks.

Re: Changing pitch of vocals

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    I got tired of waiting for Realivox and Garritan Choirs, so I'm preparing to record my vocals live. I am using non-professional singers, because I can't afford pros. My only concern is that range of some numbers (which were written for B'way singers) might be too difficult for them.

I am using Sonar PE 6 and I can't afford to buy anything new right now. I am wondering if it has any tools to change the pitch of the recorded vocals if the singer can't reach the top or bottom notes. And, if so, what does it sound like? (Does it sound electronic or unnaturally altered?)

I am hoping that if there are any problem numbers, I can transpose them into a more comfortable range for the singer during the recording and them re-transposing it and changing the pitch of the vocals in post. (I don't want to permanently transpose any of the songs because I have arranged them in the best keys for the orchestra and I know pro singers can handle the melodies as written.)

Thanks.
    Hi...I would suggest downloading the demo version of Melodyne vst plug-in
    which is great for pitch correction on vocals or instruments. About every 20 seconds white noise is heard. This is the limitation of the demo and after 15 minutes or so it stops working then you just delete it from your
    FX bin in Sonar and add it again. What I do is quickly bounce a 2 bar clip to another track until your finished with the track. I've never bought bought the plug-in because I don't use it that much and the demo gets the job done free !
    Here's the link to their site where you can download the demo and also
    watch some video tutorials. http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dvd

Re: Changing pitch of vocals

Hi,
    If you need to change pitch of vocals and sing lyrics, try Myriad Harmony Assistant with Virtual Singer demo.
    Regards
    Windows XP-SP2, IE7, ARIA GPO4, GPO KP2, Kontakt 3, NOTION 3, Amplitube X-GEAR, Overture 4.1, Harmony Assistant 9.5.1e, Virtual Singer, Gold SoundBase 2, OMeR 2.2, PDF to Music 1.2.1d, Miroslav Philharmonik, Sample Tank 2SE, Audacity, MuseScore 0.9.6

Go Back to forum