• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "H.M.S. PINAFORE" - all GPO Video

"H.M.S. PINAFORE" - all GPO Video

music by Sir Arthur Sullivan
    (click the picture for streaming video)

EDIT Jul 1, '09: Some computers have problems with the quasi-streaming vid powered by FlowPlayer, posted above. So for those who need, here's the same "Pinafore" vid posted at You Tube, which of course drastically reduces the resolution:

"PINAFORE at You Tube"

In the past
    I posted some audio clips from the recording I did of "H.M.S. Pinafore." The video above is a new promo video I've put together which features two sections from the show's Overture. It's set up for quasi-streaming straight from my website server, for a high quality play back.

I recorded a sound track of the entire operetta, using the great Dover edition of the full orchestral score, just as Sir Arthur originally composed it.

GPO is the only library I used for this project which took me a year to do. I started it during the period I was wrapping up the GPO version of my "Dorian" score.

Previously, in my pre-GPO days, I had produced sound tracks of the entire scores to "The Pirates of Penzance" and "The Mikado," using my hardware synths. Those tracks are modern adaptations I created, as opposed to the "Pinafore" tracks which retain the original Sullivan arrangements.

For those who are curious about these other Gilbert and Sullivan tracks, I have two promo videos posted at You Tube:

Those two sound tracks have been used by schools and community theatre groups world wide for use in their productions of the G&S operettas.

My hope is that a group will soon use my authentic re-creation of "Pinafore" for their staging of this great show.

* -This "Pirates" video features the silent movie footage which Rusty Crook dug up for the Movie Challenge event in our General Discussion area. Go HERE to hear the music Forum members composed for the clip, and vote for your favorite!

Re: "H.M.S. PINAFORE" - all GPO Video

Outstanding work, Mister Randy. I enjoyed your rendering. Messrs. Gilbert and Sullivan would have been proud of you...as I am.

Unfortunately, it stopped streaming at the 01:55 mark and would not restart.

Larry G. Alexander

Thanks much for the very kind words, Larry.

Ack - I wonder why it stopped for you? Thanks for the report--I've played it again here on the two computers we have online, and it played without a hitch on both. That's the full extent of testing I can do. Hmmm---don't know what the problem is/was.

I hope others visiting the thread can let me know if they also have issues.

Thanks again, Larry.

That was great Randy!!!
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Thanks, Aram--From one old Hippie to another--Appreciate you stopping by, and glad you liked it, 'bro.

I guess the "Pinafore" vid played Ok for you then, Aram? If not could you please let me know via the email address under my name here? I'd appreciate it.

It played all the way through.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

---while this is still at the top--Thanks for the info, Aram. Hopefully Larry's experience with the vid getting stuck won't be typical.

Wilton, NH

Nice promo video. The music sounds great. It played flawlessly for me.

I had previously seen the promo for "Pirates" but not the one for "Mikado". I liked both of those, too. The hardware synths gave you a very different sound, but it is still a very good sound.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, Trent - Thanks for watching--Glad you like it. Appreciate getting the word on how the vid played too, thanks.

Ah, you also make me glad that I put the extra links on here. The main synth used in those older tracks is the Korg X5dr, one of the best sounding modules ever made, IMHO. It's a great synth which I still have in my MIDI set up, but I rarely use it anymore. It was sample based, and had very flexible tools for layering sounds, editing the samples, built in digital effects, GM compatible, etc.

Along with that in the mix is the venerable old Yamaha FB-01, a medium priced unit that Everyone used to have in their set up.

Also along for the ride is the Ancient Roland MKS-7, possibly the first multi-timbral synth (SEVEN notes at a time!--wow!--plus built-in drum machine), a Korg Symphony (with Piano on a credit card-sized card--excellent sound for the '80's)--and you're not going to believe this, because most everyone has heard of these - a museum quality, legendary Arp-Odyssey!--it's doing the big BOOMS! in the "Pirates" track. I had it rigged up with a box which made it read MIDI note on and off data--But, I no longer have the Arp--sold it at a good price during a period of financial need.

The other synths I mentioned I still have and keep in line, at the ready, along with my CZ-1000--there's still nothing else that's ever sounded quite like a CZ. That one still has its fans and advocates.

Here's the Arp:

Thanks, Trent!

Suburban NYC

Hey Randy,

What I heard was 'money' ... fantastic recreations!!

Unfortunately, I experienced the same problem as Larry ... couldn't get past ~ 1:30.

(Maybe somethin' in the NY and Tx drinking water?? )

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast