• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Eye of Providence" - brass fanfare (CMB)

Share/Bookmark

"The Eye of Providence" - brass fanfare (CMB)

It's become a bit of a tradition for me to be asked to write brass/percussion fanfares for the Dallas Wind Symphony on Independence Day and Christmas. And as I have on the last several occasions, I'm posting the Garritan/Finale version here, followed up a bit later by the actual live version. I think it's a great testament to what a great working tools these libraries are to get a good working idea of how a piece will sound, even when you don't plan to spend the extra time to make the truest realistic performance from it.

This time I had a special opportunity... we will be joined by The Hellcats bugle and drum corps from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. The limited range of the single-valve bugle was definitely a challenge, and I wish I had more time to explore the possibilities with them.

As usual, the MP3 below is fairly drenched in reverb - for practical purposes. This fanfare will be performed in a huge marble foyer that is infamous for its decay time.

The Eye of Providence
    Fanfare for bugles (Bb/F), brass choir and regimental drums

Recording directly from Finale 2010. Garritan Concert & Marching Band and Finale Tapspace Drums (because I'm lazy).

Re: "The Eye of Providence" - brass fanfare (CMB)

Very nice fanfare! I like it. You are a master of this genre.

Good luck with your July Fourth festivities.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nice Fanfare!!

Good to hear pieces like this.

I hope the live performane go's very well!

All the best,

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Hello, Dargason! I remember quite well how you've been composing these fanfares for The Dallas Wind Symphony. Last time you posted your work for them, it went me a-Googling so I could learn more about the group. There at their website I saw the marble lobby where the groups perform - Beautiful place, and a wonderful tradition.

The reverb you used on this seems perfect for emulating what the live performance will sound like.

And it's a really nice, energetic and stirring fanfare you've written for them this year. I'm Really looking forward to the follow up post when you can post the live recording.

Thank you so much!

Randy

Wow, most impressive, on point, and a sure success!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Great fanfare...and great presence in the recording and production. I am certainly relate to how this will sound in the large marble hall.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nice fanfare. Even with the more limited bugle part you kept the whole thing interesting. Looking forward to hearing the live version.
    Trent P. McDonald

Here is live version #1 from tonight's rehearsal (convolution reverb added since it was in a very dry band hall):

Fanfare: The Eye of Providence (live)

Final product is very similar to the CMB version except that: (A) brass is "brassier" (CMB & GPO brass don't really have that truly marcato attack); and (B) the rope drums used by The Hellcats are much fuller than the Finale Tapspace. I could have fixed that with GPO or CMB drums tuned down a few steps, but I was lazy.

Total live rehearsal time: 6 minutes, 30 seconds (2 run-thrus plus some discussion). Performance is tomorrow afternoon. If I can get a live recording there I will post it also.

I enjoyed this live version. I hope the performance went well.
    Trent P. McDonald

AH Fantastic, Dargason - Thanks so much for posting the live recording, and EXcellent idea to add the good reverb to make it more like what it'll be like in the lobby. sounds GReat!--Fatter and oomphier, as to be expected. Congratulations on this!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast