• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some news in the strings world...

Share/Bookmark

Some news in the strings world...

The new strings library from East West seems promising...
    Last edited by Didou; 07-01-2009 at 03:33 AM. Reason: address error

Re: Some news in the strings world...

NSS forums cesnor the words, you can't link it no matter how hard you try.

But I know what you mean.

There's also LASS, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    NSS forums cesnor the words, you can't link it no matter how hard you try
    I didn't know that...
    And yes, no jealous, LASS are very promising to !

LASS has one demo, so at least we know it exists in some form or other. The other one has none, and even the sample editing hasn't been done, so it doesn't exist yet.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but wait for demos before you get excited. After all I'm sure most people remember the hype for AI.

D

...except that EW made its proof ;-) But you're right, nothing can be evaluated without some good demos. And yes there 's a demo with LASS, but only one (or two...). Not enough to make the decision, even I'm amazed by this one.
    Though is there, it 's a good thing to assist at what it seem to be a "resurgence" of strings libraries...the next step : modeling technology ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    LASS has one demo, so at least we know it exists in some form or other. The other one has none, and even the sample editing hasn't been done, so it doesn't exist yet.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but wait for demos before you get excited. After all I'm sure most people remember the hype for AI.

D
    Exact we're still waiting for AI's demos:
    We offer our sincere apology for the absence of the new DVZ Strings demos. Now that we have completed our verison 2.1 release and we have the accurate platform from which to prepare the demos, we are completing them. They will be posted here on or before Friday, March 20.

Thanks so much for your patience,
    Chris Stone

http://audioimpressions.com/demos/audio%2Ddemos/
    Ahah !

its pretty remarkable that they not even change that date on their website.
    but then again they dont mention a year.........

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post

D
    A half dozen (or so) demos along with video/s should be posted in the next few days along with ordering info (both for the US and oversees). There will be a special introductory price announced too.

Thanks for all your patience guys.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Andrew,

Do you plans to sell your library via an european distributor, in order to spare us "old worlders" the shipping anxiety, the taxes anxiety, and all the remaining sorts of "big-orders" related anxieties by the way ?

When I think of this, Best Service come to my mind : friendly, supportive, fast...
    Just a hint of course...

This would be great for sure !

Quote Originally Posted by Didou View Post
    ...except that EW made its proof ;-) But you're right, nothing can be evaluated without some good demos. And yes there 's a demo with LASS, but only one (or two...). Not enough to make the decision, even I'm amazed by this one.
    Though is there, it 's a good thing to assist at what it seem to be a "resurgence" of strings libraries...the next step : modeling technology ?
    Really? AFAIK Doug said that the recordings haven't been edited yet, so how have you heard demos? ;>)

I'm really not trying to put any product down, but there is nothing wrong with any of the string libraries out there at the moment. Most of the faults in sound lie with the user. In order to get a much more realistic sound you need to know what you're doing. Most users haven't a clue about string playing, so giving them lots of options won't help if they don't know when they're appropriate.

For example, I've heard it said that the VSL Portamento is really bad and sounds fake. Nothing could be further from the truth. However, most users don't know when to use it and when not. Couple that with the fact that (IMO) the Orchestra Portamento they recorded is the least used one; something that they sort of corrected with later Collections. In fact the most common sliding around (which strictly speaking is not a Portamento) is change of position, and no current library caters for this.

One more thing that is very rarely taken into account by users is change of bow. Not only does the new bow need a new attack, even in legato, but there needs to be a slight diminuendo at the end of the previous note. This has to be programmed for every few notes, and is usually more work than most users are willing to put in.

I don't want to lecture anyone, but as a string player these things are obvious to me, but maybe not to all others.

D

Go Back to forum