• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Sibelius and Gigasampler

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Sibelius and Gigasampler

    Help: I just got the GM500 disk for use with Sibelius. However, I can\'t get it to work with Sibelius.

    How do I configure Sibelius to use Gigasampler (with GM 500 loaded) as the \"playback unit\" for Sibelius files which I\'m working on?

    Whenever I try to select \"Gigasampler/Endless Wave\" from the Equipment menu from the Sibelius Play/Flexitime menu, the \"test\" button produces \"The playback unit is already in use. Wait until it\'s free.\"

    How do I set Gigasampler to play Sibelius and Sibelius to output to Gigasampler?

    Thanks, I\'m getting desparate.

    Mitch Farber

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Winsted, CT
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    Do you Sibelius set up as the your sequencer, and are you starting it from within GS by clicking the \"Seq\" button?

  3. #3

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    I start Sibelius with the seq button on GS, after selecting Sibelius as sequencer from the config menus.

  4. #4

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    I am considering using Sibelius 3 ( which already have ) in conjunction with Pro tools on a G5 and Giga3 on a dedicated PC .
    question : have you resolved this issue ?

    thanks

    ---------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Farber
    Help: I just got the GM500 disk for use with Sibelius. However, I can\'t get it to work with Sibelius.

    How do I configure Sibelius to use Gigasampler (with GM 500 loaded) as the \"playback unit\" for Sibelius files which I\'m working on?

    Whenever I try to select \"Gigasampler/Endless Wave\" from the Equipment menu from the Sibelius Play/Flexitime menu, the \"test\" button produces \"The playback unit is already in use. Wait until it\'s free.\"

    How do I set Gigasampler to play Sibelius and Sibelius to output to Gigasampler?

    Thanks, I\'m getting desparate.

    Mitch Farber

  5. #5

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    Mitch,

    Which versions of the software do you have? If it's GigaSampler, then it's quite old. I own GigaSampler LE, but I only bought it for the discount to move up to GigaStudio 2.5.

    Regarding running GS3 with Sib3 on a separate machine, there's no problem. My setup includes GS3 on one PC and Sibelius on my WinXP laptop. I use MIDIoverLAN+ to connect the MIDI signal, and I run the analog outs from the soundcards into a mixer for monitoring. When I create the finished product, I render the GS3 output to one or more wave files, and process them as needed.

    It's not the same as a Mac with ProTools, but from the Giga view, it's pretty much the same - MIDI in, audio out, create files for the final render.

    Your main requirement will likely be for a good audio interface between the two. Take a look at RME's products. They have a number of soundcards that have lots of optical digital outputs.

    -JF

  6. #6

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    Has anyone used the Midi section of Pro tools as their only or mani Midi input platform ?

    MS

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Mitch,

    Which versions of the software do you have? If it's GigaSampler, then it's quite old. I own GigaSampler LE, but I only bought it for the discount to move up to GigaStudio 2.5.

    Regarding running GS3 with Sib3 on a separate machine, there's no problem. My setup includes GS3 on one PC and Sibelius on my WinXP laptop. I use MIDIoverLAN+ to connect the MIDI signal, and I run the analog outs from the soundcards into a mixer for monitoring. When I create the finished product, I render the GS3 output to one or more wave files, and process them as needed.

    It's not the same as a Mac with ProTools, but from the Giga view, it's pretty much the same - MIDI in, audio out, create files for the final render.

    Your main requirement will likely be for a good audio interface between the two. Take a look at RME's products. They have a number of soundcards that have lots of optical digital outputs.

    -JF

  7. #7

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    I use the midi section (tracks) in ProTools (001 v.6.4). It's really not the best, but I'm very comfortable and biased and need to put my money elsewhere (another computer). I've used GS3 in ReWire mode and a few other midi software (SampleTank). Don't really see any other questions, so to answer your question, "Yes, I use ProTools as my only midi platform." I suspect there will more questions to follow.

  8. #8

    Question Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    I am trying to decide whether or not to

    get Logic Express7 as a midi sequencer ;to be used with Sibelius 3 ( which i already have ) for Notation / composition ,Pro Tools for editing /Recording ....on a G4 or G5 ; and connecting to a PC running Giga 3 ;

    or....to simply use Pro Tools for Midi sequencing in place of Logic .

    from what i am reading my first option is probably the more prudent .
    Any comments ?

    MS


    Quote Originally Posted by ErikGalindo
    I use the midi section (tracks) in ProTools (001 v.6.4). It's really not the best, but I'm very comfortable and biased and need to put my money elsewhere (another computer). I've used GS3 in ReWire mode and a few other midi software (SampleTank). Don't really see any other questions, so to answer your question, "Yes, I use ProTools as my only midi platform." I suspect there will more questions to follow.

  9. #9

    Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    Quote Originally Posted by Micart
    I am trying to decide whether or not to

    get Logic Express7 as a midi sequencer ;to be used with Sibelius 3 ( which i already have ) for Notation / composition ,Pro Tools for editing /Recording ....on a G4 or G5 ; and connecting to a PC running Giga 3 ;

    or....to simply use Pro Tools for Midi sequencing in place of Logic .

    from what i am reading my first option is probably the more prudent .
    Any comments ?

    MS
    I don't quite understand why you need PT in this setup. Logic is more than capable of dealing with audio, whereas (from what I remember) the MIDI in PT leaves a lot to be desired when compared with the current popular sequencers. You don't say what PT you are intending to run. If it is anything but the full (expensive) version, then there are so many limitations that I think that you would be wasting your money. If you already have, sorry.......

    Daryl

  10. #10

    Wink Re: Sibelius and Gigasampler

    At the moment I have not purchased PT ; the version i am looking at is the M-powered . I have used Logic in the past and i found it to be very comprehensive and powerful .
    I think you have shed a lot of light on my questions ;

    many thanks
    MS


    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I don't quite understand why you need PT in this setup. Logic is more than capable of dealing with audio, whereas (from what I remember) the MIDI in PT leaves a lot to be desired when compared with the current popular sequencers. You don't say what PT you are intending to run. If it is anything but the full (expensive) version, then there are so many limitations that I think that you would be wasting your money. If you already have, sorry.......

    Daryl

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •