• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wanted: 80's Style Snare (Low, Big)

Share/Bookmark

Wanted: 80's Style Snare (Low, Big)

Looking for snare lib with the 80's style sound. Lower pitched. Much fuller and 'snarey'. Examples: Anything by Paul Young, Todd Rundgren, Tears For Fears, etc. Sorry if those are a bit obscure, but it was pretty much -everywhere-. The sound was a bit like a parade drum from a fife/drum corp. Again: BIG sound and almost all snare.

From the 90's on, everything got higher, thinner and less snarey and now pretty much every lib I hear has that same 'tight' feel which I do NOT want.

Suggestions?

TIA,

---JC

Re: Wanted: 80's Style Snare (Low, Big)

Do you have a specific song? The sound was big and gated. They were using lot's of drum machines, syndrums, all that white noise bashing. I would listen to the snares from Linn Drums too. I don't know where your using it (Battery etc...), but there are collections (Doru Malaia and many others) that just have zillions of drum samples. If you use Reason, there's lots of refills that have vintage stuff. : >
    Stephen Cullo
    www.stephencullo.com
    Composer

Sure. Listening to XTC's 'Dear God' right now from 'NonSuch'. Circa 1990, I think.

This is a -real- kit (the entire band was fantastic, BTW). Big room verb sound, but no gating. Just a nice deep old school snare.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dinerdog View Post
    Do you have a specific song? The sound was big and gated. They were using lot's of drum machines, syndrums, all that white noise bashing. I would listen to the snares from Linn Drums too. I don't know where your using it (Battery etc...), but there are collections (Doru Malaia and many others) that just have zillions of drum samples. If you use Reason, there's lots of refills that have vintage stuff. : >

Incredible record. I wonder if some of the Bob Clearmountain CD's would have that stuff? They can be gotten really cheap now and are great to add to the arsenal. I'm going to give mine a listen and set up some kits in Battery. : >

There was also a great old drum sampling cd called "Popped Vol.1" that had drums styles from these bands. Both loops and single hits:

BLUR
    COSTELLO
    CREAM
    FACES
    GABRIEL
    HITS
    N_ORDER
    PETTY
    WHO
    XTC

It was one of those inexpensive series that was Akai and audio. I still use the Petty drums today. Just great simple acoustic rock drums. If I find it anywhere (Zero-G or whatever) I'll PM you.
    Stephen Cullo
    www.stephencullo.com
    Composer

TIA.

Is 'Popped' the same as Sony's 'Drums From The Big Room'?

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dinerdog View Post
    Incredible record. I wonder if some of the Bob Clearmountain CD's would have that stuff? They can be gotten really cheap now and are great to add to the arsenal. I'm going to give mine a listen and set up some kits in Battery. : >

There was also a great old drum sampling cd called "Popped Vol.1" that had drums styles from these bands. Both loops and single hits:

BLUR
    COSTELLO
    CREAM
    FACES
    GABRIEL
    HITS
    N_ORDER
    PETTY
    WHO
    XTC

It was one of those inexpensive series that was Akai and audio. I still use the Petty drums today. Just great simple acoustic rock drums. If I find it anywhere (Zero-G or whatever) I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    TIA.

Is 'Popped' the same as Sony's 'Drums From The Big Room'?

---JC
    Hey JC,

sorry, I don't know about these Sony sample sets - but about the ones that have been mentioned before ;-) I don't know whether Stephen has already sent you a message but you can get the "Drum Tools Popped" sample disc - as well as the other soundsgood stuff - now as download files here at mi7.com:

http://www.mi7libraries.com/main/sam...lume.jsp?id=29

There's a pack with just single hit samples, some of the loop sets have single hits, too.

Cheers

Thorsten

VERY nice. Unfortunately, it's another one o' those dagnabit LOOP libraries. Me no do loops. Me need heap big real lib to map onto e-drum kit.

But thanks. The Petty and XTC kits are -exactly- the sound I'm after!

Anyone else!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by thurston View Post
    Hey JC,

sorry, I don't know about these Sony sample sets - but about the ones that have been mentioned before ;-) I don't know whether Stephen has already sent you a message but you can get the "Drum Tools Popped" sample disc - as well as the other soundsgood stuff - now as download files here at mi7.com:

http://www.mi7libraries.com/main/sam...lume.jsp?id=29

There's a pack with just single hit samples, some of the loop sets have single hits, too.

Cheers

Thorsten

Ah, I see....well, as I said, they got a single shot library as well and the loop libraries partly got single shots as well - and the great thing about mi7.com is: you don't have to buy the whole library but you can always choose the single samples/loops to buy.

Bestservice got a library called "Drums Overkill". I don't own it but according to the box they have included some typical 80ies Pop/Rock-Sets And of course all the Linns, DMXs....

http://www.bestservice.de/detail.asp...87p180p255p224

Cheers,

Thorsten

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    VERY nice. Unfortunately, it's another one o' those dagnabit LOOP libraries. Me no do loops. Me need heap big real lib to map onto e-drum kit.

But thanks. The Petty and XTC kits are -exactly- the sound I'm after!

Anyone else!

---JC

If you use Kontakt Sampler, it is easy to built the snare there.

Experiment with detuning a snare-sample and then experiment with the filters and compressor.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Best to ask this question at a forum like www.gearslutz.com

I didn't make music in the 80's but as far as I know yes a drumcomputer or atleast a sampled snare from an 80's sampler (forat made a nice fat/punchy one specifically for drums / snares i think) will give you the starting sound.
    Then you need to apply 80's reverb, don't use modern plugins or reverbs as they will never get that sound right.
    Reverbs that come to my mind are Yamaha SPX90 and perhaps Roland reverb from that time.
    But I think lots of studios also used their main reverb for this like for instance Lexicon 224 or a real plate and gated the reverb with a gate themselves.
    Perhaps then also some compression on the snare including the gated reverb.
    But again, ask at gearslutz.com there are still plenty of guys there who actually produced those kinds of records back then.

Go Back to forum