• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4, ARIA, DFD and control

Share/Bookmark

GPO4, ARIA, DFD and control

Hi. Just looking ahead for GPO4 on ARIA.
    According about what i have read in previous post from David (plogue) and Gary, can be this confirmed as true?

ARIA will allow you to modify/edit sfz files.
    ARIA will load external sfz files.
    ARIA will support keyswitching in external sfz files.
    ARIA will support multi-out as KP2.
    ARIA will support streaming from disk (DFD) since it is working with the multi GB steinway library.

Assuming the previous is true, i have a question: Will ARIA have any kind of settings to adjust the performance of the DFD mode?

Im asking this since im user of GPO, but i have several SFZ files that i have build-up/modifyed from my own and there is not much options to an accurate SFZ player out there that can use the DFD mode.

Thanks your answers!
    Marcelo Colina

Re: GPO4, ARIA, DFD and control

Hi, Marce

I think people may be reticent to reply to your post out of concern that they could pass on inaccurate info. That's been My concern for myself anyway.

So - maybe someone can reply with more authority, but here are my replies based on my current understanding:

---I don't think that's the case.

---Definitely yes. I experimented with loading sfz files during my Beta testing of Aria, and it worked fine. It'sa great to have those available right along side the GPO instruments.

---I don't think so. Like your question regarding editing sfzs, my impression is that Aria will load them but that special programming isn't available. For instance, while the interface's mixing sliders will of course set the volumes for GPO instruments, they don't effect the volumes of sfz files which weren't programmed specifically to play in Aria.

--Definitely. On the first screen of Aria, all 16 stereo outs are plainly visible, loaded with controls so it's intuitive to set levels, panning, effect sends, and tuning. No silly work-around routines of needing to add more stereo channels as with KP2 - all 16 channels are always available.

ARIA will support streaming from disk (DFD) since it is working with the multi GB steinway library.
    ---I don't think that's the case. The Steinway loads into RAM, like all the Garritan Libraries - I think?

Assuming the previous is true, i have a question: Will ARIA have any kind of settings to adjust the performance of the DFD mode?
    ---I'm not aware of controls like that.

Repeating the important caveat - These replies are just my understanding of how Aria has been developed up to now. I may not be correct in all the above. Hopefully someone who definitively knows more than I do will also reply.

Randy

Thanks your interest and answer, Randy! Results i found after searching old posts in the forum, anyway i would like to know if this can be confirmed now:

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Hi

Since ARIA uses the SFZ spec (open text files), it is possible to edit and create your own instruments right now, even though we dont ship with a graphical editor at this point.

Of course this method is not for everyone.
    Same above
    Keyswitches are programmed inside of the text file of sfz files. I guess yes, but not sure.
    Thanks your answer Randy!
    The Authorized Steinway has several GB and afaik it streams from disk and from RAM, according of what i understand reading some post. Maybe im wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by davinwv View Post
    I have only played Garritan in standalone mode, and it is working with very few skips streaming from the internal drive at 41K with 512 samples...

Best Regards
    Marcelo Colina

Hi, Marce

Thanks for the quote from David Plogue:

"...Since ARIA uses the SFZ spec (open text files), it is possible to edit and create your own instruments right now..."

I can see that what he's saying is that SFZ editors are freely available, so it's possible already to edit your SFZs. He's not saying it's possible to do that in Aria, but that it's possible using a dedicated SFZ editing program.

He goes on to say:

"...even though we dont ship with a graphical editor at this point..."

And Aria doesn't include that either, to my understanding.

Since you've put together your own SFZs, you must already be working with an SFZ editor, Marce. A Google search turns up a gaggle of them, including this one:

SFZ Editor

EDIT: See in Marce's response, this SFZ editor I plucked out of the internet only works with the earlier version of SFZ. But Googling will surely yield an editor which works with the newer format. Simply using notepad to create the text files is likely beyond the kind of technical work some users want to delve in to.

As for Davinwv's comment that you posted, I can't tell if he's being literal about the audio streaming from the hard drive, or if he had simplified what he was saying, and that he meant that RAM was also involved. - Looking at the Aria engine, it looks to me that it's indicating the majority of streaming is coming from RAM, with a small assist from the disc. And I can't find any controls for changing DFD settings like in KP2.

Randy

Hi Randy.

I understand what you say about that ARIA dont have an editor. I knowed about that, but i was refering more than the files are not crypted as kontakt ones. Sorry the confussion, i believe i dont express myself very well.
    About the SFZ editor, since ARIA has introduced some new options for the sfz file format, i dont believe a good idea edit them with the editor you point, that is outdated in that way (it only supports the old sfz format).. It´s great for your own/other sfz files (they are just text files, so windows notepad is enough most times)

Thanks the information about the DFD.

Best Regards Randy.

Clarification: I understand that the point of ARIA is to play GPO. If it does it well, things im asking are "bonus" or plus features. Cool ones, i believe.
    Marcelo Colina

Thanks for the info on that SFZ editor I posted, Marce. Just now I edited my post warning people that this particular editor isn't for the current version of SFZ - the kind which Aria will load.

The good news is that Aria will indeed load your SFZ patches so you can have them conveniently available with your GPO instruments. I'm just suggesting that any editing you want to do with the SFZs needs to be done via a dedicated editor--And for those who understand how to do it, apparently just using notepad will suffice.

Randy

Hi Randy, just to clarify a little more:

SFZed is a graphical editor for sfz files. You can do with it a lot of things in an easy way than with a text editor (by example, extend ranges so easy)
    If you are creating/modifying sfz from your own files it is a great addon.
    But i dont recommend to open the included sfz files of GPO4 with it. Is like open a Sonar 8 file with Sonar 5, maybe it works, but maybe you can damage the file, because the new options added in later versions.
    So, all is speculation, only a little word of warning. In any case, the good thing is that you can backup sfz files easily, and if you modify a sfz file and mess it, the wav files are still there intact. Just restore your backups (a few mb) and voila.
    Marcelo Colina

As an sfz fan I thought I would jump into the middle of this discussion with an observation and a pointed question.

First, the observation - I find that sfzEd is useful for some sfz editing tasks, like setting up the original file, but for most of the programming I turn directly to text editing. I find sfzEd a little fiddly for most of what I do with sfz programming.

Now, the pointed question (and Randy, I doubt you will have the answer to this one, but maybe Gary will weigh in). I understand that Aria will load and play external sfzs, but in order to take advantage of the strengths of Aria, it needs to be specifically programmed for Aria. So, the question:

Will the opcode subset of the Aria version of sfz be made available, a la a "developers toolkit" like many other sampler applications? With this, a whole new level of desirablilty suddenly opens up (and many small app developers will be able to market their sample libraires more effectively without the requirement of them paying for access to the Kontact Player - hello Bela D)

So, any hope of a "developer's toolkit"?

Neat question, Rob - You're right that I can't answer that. Hope Gary notices this thread. If he doesn't, I could point it out to him.

As it is right now, being able to load SFZs into Aria is cool, but it's the same as use a free SFZ player, getting instrument playback but without being able to access special features - I've never done any SFZ or any Sound Font editing--I tried a few times but didn't get it. My eyes crossed over, and so I've stuck with using Fonts or SFZs just as I find them or purchased them.

So that's why your post is interesting - I'm Getting it now that you'd like to be able to tweak SFZs so that Aria controls like length, tone variation etc can be applied to them, right? Right now, SFZs can be tuned in Aria, and the sends on their faders can be used for reverb. But panning and volume controls don't work for them. So these would be things you'd want to program also, if a developer's toolkit could be provided.

As far as mixing instruments go, like a lot of people, I'll probably still be bypassing the mixing controls, so I can get centered, uneffected, full volume audio into Sonar - and then all mixing will be done there in Sonar. Having SFZs unaffected by those mixing controls in Aria doesn't effect me.

I haven't heard any mention of what you're talking about, Rob. Maybe it's in place and I don't know. Let's see what Gary says.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Neat question, Rob
    But panning and volume controls don't work for them. So these would be things you'd want to program also, if a developer's toolkit could be provided.

Randy
    You mean that the controls are there, but they dont do nothing? or that there are no control over that parameters? Maybe is a beta thing?
    Seems strange that basic controls like this are not working or used.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum