• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recording: US National Anthem

Share/Bookmark

Recording: US National Anthem

Dear Music aficionados, I heard this recording of "The Star Spangled Banner" about 40 years ago as a sign-off for WRAL Channel 5 TV station in Raleigh, North Carolina.

It's the most exciting version I have ever heard, and I STILL cannot find the original recording anywhere.

As recordings go, it reminds me of the sound of the Philadelphia Orchestra when it was under Eugene Ormandy, but ALAS, no results.

If anyone here can tell me what/who/when this recording came about, and how I can get it in a better recording, please let me know.

I would be forever grateful!!

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...onalanthem.mp3

Steve

Re: Recording: US National Anthem

Hi, Steve - Interesting post - You sent me a-Googling. No sources for a better recording, but at least you have that MP3 you posted-that's from the original broadcast it would seem.

Here's the same track with visuals, and the announcer's voice leading up to the music. You probably already saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBiCebc-zxU

Randy

I don't believe this is an orchestra. I think it may be a concert band, and I believe this arrangement is written for concert band (possibly the Marine band, or another service band?) Now if I could only come up with the arranger...
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Without the fanfares at the beginning and end, it sounds like the standard band arrangement of "The Star-Spangled Banner" that my high school bands play throughout the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Now if my mind were not so feeble, I might remember the arranger. Funny though, I remember the folder the sheet music came in. It was Red and White striped! John Cacavas comes to mind but I am not sure. The added second ending section and then the fanfares are the only two things that separate this arrangement from the one I strongly remember (including that specific tuba line).
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Without the fanfares at the beginning and end, ...The added second ending section and then the fanfares are the only two things...
    Heh, those fanfares and coda are exactly why I like it and want to find the arranger/ensemble.

Steve

I didn't mean that to be negative. I just stated that it sounds like the Cacavas arrangement and it might give you a starting point for finding what you are looking for. gee
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

EEEEK!! Heh= or chuckle

Didn't wanna sound brusque.

Steve

Steve, as you probably know,
    I don't read music and do just about everything by ear.

I can transcribe the "intro" and "exit" as a midi file for
    you for a small fee, then you can take that and do with it as you please.
    To me, the main song is traditional in it's arrangement like Rich said.

Here's the trumpets

Dan

WRAL 5 in Raleigh started using this sign-off in late '69 or early '70. In the visuals, at the point where the additional section of this arrangement starts, we're seeing "moon" pics of Armstrong and Aldrin. Maybe in that celebratory mood of the times, some arranger added a lot of flourishes, and (very high) trumpet chorales. Anyway, back then as a teenager, I thought it was really cool.

Here, imagine my shock stumbling onto the video @ YouTube almost 40yrs later.

Maybe some WRAL vet might know where it came from. Thanks all.

DPDan - Thanks for the offer, it's very generous. How about a raincheck? I'm sorta out of MIDI now (got too complicated w/six soundcards - too many channels), and am waiting for Garritan GM, and I'll get back in, get the standard arrangement, and then look you up.

Steve

Hi, Steve - Your new post on this thread caught my eye--6 sound cards?!--oh my---Um--one needs to ask how and why that came about? LOL!

And, "...waiting for Garritan GM..."

Last I heard that's pretty much a shelved project for now. It will be cool to have a Garritan version of GM sounds at some point, but it couldn't possibly ever replace the depth we already have available in GPO and the other Garritan Libraries. GM calls for One generic Solo Violin patch, One generic example of each of the primary instruments - but I don't think that even the spiffiest GM Library would be something to wait for, to put projects on hold for.

Randy

Go Back to forum