• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What can Kontakt 3 do that my host can't?

Share/Bookmark

What can Kontakt 3 do that my host can't?

Hi,
    I've been hearing how great Kontakt 3 is but after reading about it at NI's site I really don't understand what it can do that my host (Cubase 4) can't.
    Maybe the only thing I noticed is the ability to assign part of a sample to midi key triggering.

I don't have any experience with Samplers so maybe I'm missing something but really, what's the potential of a sampler? what can it do that a regular good host cannot?

Thanks.

Re: What can Kontakt 3 do that my host can't?

its all about the scripting. The scripting language in Kontakt is very sophisticated and when programmed by the right people it can do all kinds of neat tricks like selecting the proper string on a bass to make a line more realistic or switch samples when you play legato etc.

The very basics of a sampler are as follows.

Take a sound - any sound, spread it across a keyboard automatically increasing pitch and frequency for each note - all done in an instant. You can also 'layer' the sounds so that at different velocities a different sample plays, or you can have only one sample for each pitch but automatically louder if you hit the keys harder. You can als mix the samples You can then take these samples and play them back through fx and all sorts of mangling and algorithms.
    This might seem uninspiring when stated so baldly, but the potential of a sampler is enormous.You could take a Steinway and have individual layers of notes for different loudness from pppp to ffff. You could sample every note across all scales individually and then package it all up so that other people with sampler could play as if you have this steinway. There are lots of such packages already out there. Similarly you could buy a banjo, a zither or a Stradivari violin. Ther is a huge market in such instruments.
    Most people use samplers as playback devices and use various instruments loaded in to the sampler (some of which are free and some you buy and you can create your own). Kontakt comes with many including a whole Vienna Symphonic Orchestra many synths guitars basses etc all pre-programmed and playable straight out of the box. All reasonably decent sounds.
    Scripting can make your insttrument do clever things - like maybe a guitar you can 'strum' virtually, or maybe add controlab le fret noises. Only Kotakt has scripting power (as far as I know).

All of the sounds can be re-tweaked in a variety of ways.

A sampler is really considered 'necessary' in a Studios Arsenal. Cubase has Halion 1 - which is strictly playback only. A sample player rather than a 'sampler'.

If you get Kontakt its regarded as at least one of the best - but its lots of cash. However there are deals on the Kore family at present which are less than half price it might be better to get the Kore package (which includes Kontakt. http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...er/komplete-5/

Hope this helps

Zero
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Enquire about deals on Kontakt too - I got mine just recently at a huge discount at a clearance sale. (and at least two places had it at the same price)

Greg.

yairhol,

Hi there.
    Perhaps this is a bit simplistic but let me say this.

First off Cubase is a sequencer not a sampler. As Zero said it does have Halion but that is only a player not a true sampler.

You mentioned that you have no experience with samplers.
    Sample libraries are essentially software collections of sounds that get loaded into a sampler, like Kontakt.
    You open them up like a plugin inside cubase and assign tracks, the same way you would a hardware keyboard synth.

Today, many of these libraries are extremely sophisticated yet offer easy "plug and play" when opened up in a sampler. The sounds are generally far and away better and more realistic than any hardware synth.

If you haven't used them before you may be missing out, maybe not. Depends on what you record. If you're using hardware keyboard synths or even plugging a guitar into a sound card and tracking using Cubase you may not be concerned about samplers.

However, today as Zero pointed out again, a sampler is pretty much standard software for a home studio.

The drawback is this-

Kontakt costs $400. This is really the best option today as most sample libraries are released in that format. Also it comes with 33 Gigs of wonderful sounds covering all styles.

Sample libraries can be expensive but there are many that are superb for as little as $300, even less. Some can cost $1000.

Virtual Instruments are another option and provide one with a player so you don't have to purchase additional software, such as a sample.

Not sure if this is helpful and you may know all this already......
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Hi all,
    Thanks for the explanations.
    I do know about sample players as I have Omnisphere and other sample based VSTIs all relying on their own sample players.
    I wasn't sure why Kontakt, being a sampler (not only a sample player) was so great. I read that it can do all sorts of automation which is what Cubase can do easily. Kontakt can chop up the sample and assign it to midi. If I don't consider live playing, I can chop up the sample in Cubase and insert that chopped sample wherever I want, raising/lowering its pitch if I want to. Of course I cannot create a whole instrument as zero said with Cubase. But is that all that Kontakt can do that Cubase can't?
    I'm not one who would make VSTI libraries. I only buy them for my needs. If I want something like the Scarbee libraries or others that use the Kontakt format, do I really need to buy the whole $400 Kontakt package just to play a $90 library in it?
    Can't I buy only the Kontakt player and then buy any library I want and play it with the Kontakt player?

no-the kontaktplayer only plays libraries that ship wih the player.
    Soundware companies have to pay a lisence to NI to bundle the player with their products.
    NI is doing a promo sale right now where you get the full Komplete package for the price of Kontakt.

Bear in mind if you buy Komplete 5 you get Kontakt, Absynth4 (a synth almost as good as omni), B4 (The best Hammond Ive heard) Battery a really respected drum machine, FM8 a DX7 type synth probably the best in its class, Akoustic and Elektric Piano and a whole lot more besides.
    I dont know your music, but if you were advising a newbie who wanted an arsenal for his DAW this would be probably the best bang for his buck by a country mile. Kontakt & Absynth alone is normally more money.
    The learning curve will be long of course. But learning this package will stand you in good stead especially on the synth front.
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Does Kontakt come with the entire Vienna Orchestral library or is it a smaller version of it?
    Also, how do the Bass samples sound? convincing enough?

Thanks.

Hi Yairhol,
    LOl the entire VSL library is about $10000 bucks or something - its the most expensive VST library on the Planet. But the VSL orchestra in Kontakt is still very useable. I got this library with kontakt 2 - I believe its still there with 3 but its best to check it at NI's site.

Bass sounds? - well OK, but to a trained ear you need glitches, finger movements, and so forth - slides, chrunchy bits, muffled notes, all make the sound convincing - Trilogy is some way towards this (and yes its better) but Trilian shoud be bette stillr. Bass sounds in Kontakt are certainnly not rubbish though.

Zero

Go Back to forum