• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral March

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral March

I had to try this one. The melody is from an old "Doc" Severinson piece, I think. On the tonight Show he once said that he got the melody from somewhere else, so let's say this is an arrangement of a piece I heard once back in the 70's.

http://www.box.net/shared/lsibhon18u

Re: Orchestral March

Hi, Tom - What a fun piece to pluck from out of the past. I don't remember the good Doctor playing this - maybe it's from when The Tonight Show was still past my bedtime.

Injuns on the warpath!--hehe--The opening is like music from an old western movie sound track, in those pre-politically correct days when American Natives were Injuns, and invariably attacking wagon trains.

One challenge of this, and any piece with similar passages - there are many sections of rhythmically repeating notes which produce the "machine gun effect," as can be heard here. You probably heard it. I think you work in notation, and without doing a lot of MIDI tricks with lengths and note on times, it's hard to avoid that.

There was a disparity in the space you were creating with the reverb - Some instruments seemed to be sitting where they should, as per your panning and amount of reverb, but other instruments, like brass prominent towards the end - they seemed dry and super close to the listener. Know what I mean?

Hope you don't mind the tech notes. In the wake of our exchange of posts yesterday, I thought maybe some of this sort of feedback would be OK with you.

Fun little piece though!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Tom - What a fun piece to pluck from out of the past. I don't remember the good Doctor playing this - maybe it's from when The Tonight Show was still past my bedtime.

Injuns on the warpath!--hehe--The opening is like music from an old western movie sound track, in those pre-politically correct days when American Natives were Injuns, and invariably attacking wagon trains.

One challenge of this, and any piece with similar passages - there are many sections of rhythmically repeating notes which produce the "machine gun effect," as can be heard here. You probably heard it. I think you work in notation, and without doing a lot of MIDI tricks with lengths and note on times, it's hard to avoid that.

There was a disparity in the space you were creating with the reverb - Some instruments seemed to be sitting where they should, as per your panning and amount of reverb, but other instruments, like brass prominent towards the end - they seemed dry and super close to the listener. Know what I mean?

Hope you don't mind the tech notes. In the wake of our exchange of posts yesterday, I thought maybe some of this sort of feedback would be OK with you.

Fun little piece though!

Randy
    Yes, I certainly do. I work almost exclusively from notation and have no sequencer, so rely totally on Finaly 2010 and the panning I leave up to the software. Once I get the GPO into Kontakt I will try to address some of these other issues.

The only part that was "Doc's" was the sectional brass melody; he is innocent of all the rest.

Actually I get more of "Late Night Action News" than "wild injuns". Just a slightly jazzier feel than most newscasts - must be Doc's influence.

I'm not sure what you can do to help the "machine gun" Randy was talking about, but it is almost distracting. Other than that, not a bad little march.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum