• Register
  • Help

Topic: Majin (for Orchestra)

Share/Bookmark

Majin (for Orchestra)

Hi everyone,

there’s not much to say about this piece. It circles around a simple theme without following a specific form. I think of it more as a collection of ideas I put together in some kind of semi-programmatic concept. The title came to me mind after reading something about the Japanese war-god Majin. Since the second part of the composition has some neo-primitive Asian flavour I felt it might be a nice title. It was composed in two days but rendering and mixing took quite a while. All instruments are from GPO, except for the 2nd and 3rd Flute the 2 Bb Clarinets and the Piano; they are from JABB.

Hope you enjoy it!

All the best: JAN

http://www.Filmmusikwelt.de/Jan/Majin.mp3

Re: Majin (for Orchestra)

Hey Jan!
    I like this style of writing ... a lot.

You've weaved your ideas well.

An interesting mix of animated abstract and romantic lushness.
    Great use of a huge palette of instruments - never a dull moment.

Well done!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Jannus - Truly grand to see you back here in The Listening Room with more music for us to hear.

What an exciting time I had just now listening to your "Majin." Michael's comment that there's "Never a dull moment" is one I have to repeat with 100% agreement.

Wonderfully layered, shifting its mood in unpredictable ways, rich with ideas, it's a wow.

The only tech note I have is that in a section about 1/2 way through when the strings predominated, they sounded less legato than you may have intended - They were continuous, but the note on events were seemed to be overly pronounced.

I love this--THANK YOU!
    Randy

Jan:

A very nice composition. Well thought out and arranged.
    Enjoyed your interplay of orchestral instruments. The
    rendering was really good overall, but in some places could
    use a little editing; but, that's to be expected from anyone's
    mixing endeavors.

Really enjoyed listening to this, Jan.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

VERY nice Jan. Your mix and sound quality are right up there.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hello everybody,

thank you so much for your kind feedback. I’m touched and happy to see you enjoyed my music.
    About the sound: Yes, there are still some passages I’m a little bit unhappy with but on the other hand I’m still experimenting with different kind of ambient, limiters, layers and widening effects.

Thank you again!

JAN

Jannus

Rarely are any of us totally happy with our mixes; we just get it where it doesn't aggravate us anymore and then move on.

I have tried numerous limiters on my works and haven't found anything that doesn't distort the sound way beyond my comfort level.

What widening effects are you trying?

The piece itself seems to be telling a story and I always like that in music. To me music doesn't always have to follow the certain rules of state a theme, vary it, re-present it and then vary it again, etc.

I like a piece that can keep my interest by going in many directions.

Overall a very nice listen.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi rolifer,

thank you for your feedback.
    I'm using a freeware software called JB for widenign. It's got a funktion where you have a limiter and widening effect at the same time.

I really like this. I agree with Ron in that it seems to be telling a story - there is a definite narrative to it. I think it's amazing you wrote it in 2 days.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Jannus View Post
    Hi everyone,

there’s not much to say about this piece. It circles around a simple theme without following a specific form. I think of it more as a collection of ideas I put together in some kind of semi-programmatic concept. The title came to me mind after reading something about the Japanese war-god Majin. Since the second part of the composition has some neo-primitive Asian flavour I felt it might be a nice title. It was composed in two days but rendering and mixing took quite a while. All instruments are from GPO, except for the 2nd and 3rd Flute the 2 Bb Clarinets and the Piano; they are from JABB.

Hope you enjoy it!

All the best: JAN

http://www.Filmmusikwelt.de/Jan/Majin.mp3
    Jan - I liked this very much, enjoyed the colors, dynamics, voices and textures - thanks, good work!

Regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum