• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: The Cathedral

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    The Cathedral

    Usually when I am working on a new track everyone leaves me alone....BUT.....not while I was trying to write and record this one. I could have sold tickets and made a load of money.

    Any way I gave up and this is what I wound up with. The Cathedral:

    http://www.box.net/shared/n4u71ncezv

    My toys:
    3 synth tracks
    3 Moog tracks


    GPO:
    Cellos
    Violas
    2nd Violins
    Violin
    French Horns
    Trumpet
    Trombones just added

    If everyone leaves the house tomorrow I will add trombones but it looks like they aren't going anywhere so I go do yard work and call it even.

    EDIT.............................................. .............

    The trombones are now in, I got 30 minutes of peace and quite. The fun is seeing if anybody can find them, they are hidden.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  2. #2

    Re: The Cathedral

    Aram

    Another massive wall of sounds. You have easily shown the inside of a huge Cathdral with this one.

    What does AJC X1 mean?

    Nice work

    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

  3. #3

    Re: The Cathedral

    Thanks Ron.

    The AJCX 1 is my code for which final mix & master it is. LOL I had one with AJCX 12. I keep all the AJCX files until I make a master, then I delete all but the one I used.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  4. #4

    Re: The Cathedral

    Hi, Aram

    Another unmistakably "Hippie" production, one to Turn UP!-as always.

    I've noticing before, and it's more pronounced than usual on this one, that the bass instruments are lagging behind the rest. It's done so consistently that it gives a distinctive undulation to the sound - ta Boom, ta ta ta ta Boom - when if it was played more strictly, that last "Ta" and "boom" would both be together on the first beats of measures.

    On this one, at first I heard it as the high brass rushing and coming in early, then I heard it as the bass sounds coming in late, but I doubt you're playing them 1/16th into the measures - it's probably from the envelopes on the bass instruments taking longer to open up all the way. It's the sort of thing which, if it's not wanted, is changed in a sequencer by moving those kind of tracks a slight amount ahead, to compensate for the instrument envelopes being slower.

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: The Cathedral

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Aram

    Another unmistakably "Hippie" production, one to Turn UP!-as always.

    I've noticing before, and it's more pronounced than usual on this one, that the bass instruments are lagging behind the rest. It's done so consistently that it gives a distinctive undulation to the sound - ta Boom, ta ta ta ta Boom - when if it was played more strictly, that last "Ta" and "boom" would both be together on the first beats of measures.

    On this one, at first I heard it as the high brass rushing and coming in early, then I heard it as the bass sounds coming in late, but I doubt you're playing them 1/16th into the measures - it's probably from the envelopes on the bass instruments taking longer to open up all the way. It's the sort of thing which, if it's not wanted, is changed in a sequencer by moving those kind of tracks a slight amount ahead, to compensate for the instrument envelopes being slower.

    Randy
    Thanks Randy.

    There are 3 different synth bass tracks, 2 from my So8 and one from a Moog library I have. I played one high and the other 2 were played at the bottom. Two of the bass synrh tracks were set-up with a phase to them and the other one had a left-right echo dialed in on it, all 3 were sustained so the effect would play. I played and recorded them all separately and move them just a little off each other in places on the mixing board. Remember, I don't sequence, it's LIVE.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  6. #6

    Re: The Cathedral

    Howdy, Aram - Thanks for describing the bass layering you did in this. From what you said, I think it could be the echo I'm hearing so clearly. I got tripped out explaining what I was hearing, but I didn't mean it was necessarily an unwanted effect - I was just curious as to why it was happening.

    Totally get it that you play live, I've understood that for quite awhile now. I mentioned sequencing in my earlier reply because compensating for sounds with slow attacks is something that has to be done routinely when sequencing, like for fixing gentle strings which swell in. Without compensation, it just sounds like the string players are always late. It was just an illustration.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: The Cathedral

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Howdy, Aram - Thanks for describing the bass layering you did in this. From what you said, I think it could be the echo I'm hearing so clearly. I got tripped out explaining what I was hearing, but I didn't mean it was necessarily an unwanted effect - I was just curious as to why it was happening.

    Totally get it that you play live, I've understood that for quite awhile now. I mentioned sequencing in my earlier reply because compensating for sounds with slow attacks is something that has to be done routinely when sequencing, like for fixing gentle strings which swell in. Without compensation, it just sounds like the string players are always late. It was just an illustration.

    Randy
    There are times when I'll play late in a section and then I'll just cut the track on the recording board and move the screw-up so it is right then bleed them together so there isn't any dead space. I do more editing for timing on my recording than I do on the mixing board. There is also a left-right echo effect on the Moog lead that the trumpets play with so that could also be what you are hearing.

    The echo I put on the Moogs is what I started the song with. Playing to that was a trick in itself. LOL

    I'm going to try and put the trombones in if everyone will leave me alone today....that's a big IF.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: The Cathedral

    Liked this one - another big wall of sound "Hippie" track. And of course I could hear the trombones. The are a little right of center, not quite as far over as trumpet, while the horns are left. I think......it is sometimes hard pulling all the parts out of this huge sound...
    Trent P. McDonald

  9. #9

    Re: The Cathedral

    Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Liked this one - another big wall of sound "Hippie" track. And of course I could hear the trombones. The are a little right of center, not quite as far over as trumpet, while the horns are left. I think......it is sometimes hard pulling all the parts out of this huge sound...

    Thanks Trent. You got it right.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

    http://www.myspace.com/451525581

  10. #10

    Re: The Cathedral

    Yes, definitely Cathedral sounds. The long pads add
    a touch of "sancturary" and deliberatiion to this piece.
    Big sounds, Aram.


    Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •