• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stupid Kontakt 2 usage questions

Share/Bookmark

Stupid Kontakt 2 usage questions

sorry guys, some stupid questions about using K2 - and i couldnt figure out the keywords to use to search, so if this has been answered before, just give me the keywords and I will do the work!

1) say I load several intruments into K2. what is the easy way of to stop playing one instrument with my keyboard, and to play another...now, I have to click with the mouse on a very small area, get a pop menu that reads omni a1 a2 etc (see the print is so small i dont even know what window it is) and muck around with that, for BOTH instruments...a lot of work...I know there must be a simple place to click and and off , but i cant remember it and the manuals dont help me

2) sort of the same situation: can I arrange that when i have several instruments loaded, say a flute, a violin and a harp, that ALL three instruments play, when I play notes on the keyboar that overlap their ranges?

3) according to the manual, you can select and instrument, shift-select another instrument, and then double click on the selected instruments to load them all. I cant do this, for me, the first click of the double click cancels the selection of whatever instrument the mouse isnt near.....

4) or is Aria coming REAL SOON NOW so that all this knowledge will soon be worthless?

Re: Stupid Kontakt 2 usage questions

Hello, Sakari

From your post, I can see you're using KP2 in the "stand alone" mode. This is the most limited way of using it, because it limits the user to how many stereo outs your sound card has, and that's usually just one pair.

Using KP2 directly from your desk top is good for live performance, or if you just want to quickly call up an instrument to play for your pleasure.

But when KP2 is used inside of a MIDI/Audio application like Sonar via the VST .dll file (for Windows users) then that "host" application will provide up to 16 stereo outs for each "instance" of a KP2 you load into a project. Each instrument is assigned its own MIDI channel as well as its own audio out, and then routed through the application's mixer.

So, your first point, that you have to fumble around to keep changing which instrument you're hearing is the only way things will work in the stand alone version. It's capable of choosing just one instrument as a time.

But you Can load more instruments and keep them all on the same MIDI channel, and then you will have all three playing at the same time as in your example. Layering the instruments like that is of limited use, but it does work. To do it the best way, you would want to assign each instrument to its own KP2 fader so that you have control over their relative volume. You can "add channels" as you need, and then you'll need to assign them all to that same single stereo channel, and also keep them all on MIDI channel one.

Your last question about shift clicking to choose more than one instrument at a time is something I don't recall ever hearing or reading about. I just tried it, and it doesn't work. But you're more likely to be choosing instruments from different tabs, a woodwind, brass, strings etc--so there wouldn't really be any advantage to loading more than one at a time.

SO - The main thing you need to do is get some kind of recording software so you can take full advantage of GPO and KP2. Otherwise, you can't record and edit MIDI files and build up your projects.

With Aria you will have the same limitation - which is the limitation of the sound card on your computer.

Best of luck with it all.
    Randy B.

I would think you could set each loaded instrument to its own midi channel and then on your keyboard change which channel or omni you are sending to. I know I can do that on mine.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by sakari.lindhen View Post
    sorry guys, some stupid questions about using K2 - and i couldnt figure out the keywords to use to search, so if this has been answered before, just give me the keywords and I will do the work!

1) say I load several intruments into K2. what is the easy way of to stop playing one instrument with my keyboard, and to play another...now, I have to click with the mouse on a very small area, get a pop menu that reads omni a1 a2 etc (see the print is so small i dont even know what window it is) and muck around with that, for BOTH instruments...a lot of work...I know there must be a simple place to click and and off , but i cant remember it and the manuals dont help me

2) sort of the same situation: can I arrange that when i have several instruments loaded, say a flute, a violin and a harp, that ALL three instruments play, when I play notes on the keyboar that overlap their ranges?
    Sakari,
    You have 2 choices - 1st set all instruments to receive on omni then click the S button left of the tune control to solo the instrument. You can adjust whether only a single instrument can solo or multiple instruments solo by selecting "In Place" or "Latch" respectively in the "Handling" section of the K2 Players option dialog.
    2nd set each instrument to a different midi channel (A1, A2, A3...) or multiple instruments to the same midi channel for overlapping. then set your keyboard to transmit on the desired midi channel.

3) Double click doesn't work. Drag'n'drop does.

Thanks Rich and Mike for adding to this. I'm glad you brought up changing the transmitting MIDI channel from the keyboard, I'd neglected to mention that.

Sakiri, hope the replies are helpful. When I said, "...the only way things will work in the stand alone version..." I was only describing what can be done adjusting only KP2 which you were asking about. Please note that as Mike and Rich said, you can take more control directly from your MIDI keyboard.

But you can still see why the stand-alone is very limited in its use. I hope you look into a MIDI program like Reaper, which is very inexpensive, or the more sophisticated apps like Sonar. That's when GPO, KP2 and MIDI in general gets Really fun to use.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    3) Double click doesn't work. Drag'n'drop does.
    Hi, Nickie - Do you mean opening a separate browser window and then dropping in instruments instead of loading from the GUI?--If so, sounds awkward compared to just clicking on the menu. People really do that?

Randy

Thanks guys! will try out things.

but I only have a cheap little m audio midi keyboard, i cant change anything on it! I will check the documentation (I have had it for years), but there just arent any controls - keys, octave shift, pitch and module wheels, and one slider.

@Randy...ha ha, i have cubase, and mostly use Garritan with notation programmes like Overture (remember, I bought the very first GPO that came with overture and cubase bundled...I have upgraded both, but stayed faithful!)...but i just wanted to play a bit on a harpsichord and a celesta, and sort of compare them, and couldnt figure out how to jump from one to the other...

I swear i tried setting both to omni and it didnt work for me yesterday, but it does now...

ok guys, i will come clean. I am trying to avoid buying a Kurzweil Pc3 keyboard, because i really want a nord stage. So I was trying to persuade myself that the famous synthesised lush orchestra of the Kurz was obtainable via GPO, that is why I wanted to play alot of things at once...

Heart says Nord Stage (about 2200euros), Head says Kurzweil PC3 (about 1600euros), wallet says Casio (about 100 euros)...*sigh*

thanks for the help!

saku

No, Randy, I mean select your instruments (plural!) in the Library pane with SHIFT/CTRL-click and then drag them into the rack. I don't know if it is easier than just double clicking them one at a time, but you can do it and that is what Sakari asked about.

Thanks, Nickie - I understand that's what Sakari asked about, and I had never heard of that. - --Can't make it work though--You added Ctrl to the routine, so it's Shift/Ctrl/Click and then drag them. I have an instrument loading instantly when my mouse touches in the instrument menu, and there's no chance or way to select more. Hmm. Well--I'm content with the usual way. I usually need to open instruments from different lists anyway, this wouldn't help me out.

And good to hear from you again, Sakari. Thanks for the details. Well, you can conduct experiments much more easily inside Cubase--Only takes a few seconds to load up a KP2 and try out your layers there. I don't think you'll find out what you want from sticking with the very limited stand alone KP2.

My suggestion - No Way spend so much money on the keyboards you've mentioned. Crazy. You can make spectacular sounding recordings with a keyboard controller that costs a fraction of that--and I do mean a controller, so you can use GPO and whatever other software synths you want.

Randy

Randy

Go Back to forum