• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: installing universal GPO on new mac - please help

Share/Bookmark

installing universal GPO on new mac - please help

hello,

i am aware there is a sticky topic above dealing with this issue, but it seems to be out of date. that is, the service center has been updated, and the guide does not reflect this.

i am trying to install GPO on my new macbook pro. this will be the third machine i have installed it on. the last was an intel macbook, so i know what im trying to do is possible!

its quite simple - i have my original (ppc compatible) discs and serial number, and i have the libraries already backed up in several locations. i simply want to know the exact process for getting it working on my new laptop. i.e. with KP2 (2.2.4.). i have managed to download 2.2.4., and even installed it, but it seems to have no facility for finding my GPO libraries. i put in the discs and tried to install the original but it wanted to know where i should put the libraries! im not doing that AGAIN. so i have a valid 2.2.4 KP2 working on my machine, along with all the data. where do i go from here?

thanks

Re: installing universal GPO on new mac - please help

Hi, Sagnier - Sounds like you get around at Native Instruments OK, since you updated to KP2. And that's a good thing, because you need to go back to NI's site for more.

The entire GPO Library had to be updated to function in KP2. The old files you're trying to load won't work. So go to NI where you got KP2, but now look for the GPO upgrades and step through them. One of the upgrades included the new samples you need.

Randy

thanks for your reply, but....

need more help!

whenever i try to get anything else from native intruments i just get spat out of their system, repeatedly.

just to clarify - i dont have GPO installed on this machine, just the libraries which i have dragged from the previous machine (on which i did have the kp2 update running successfully). i do have kp2.2.4 running, but it has nothing to do with GPO as its just the empty sampler, and it doesnt seem to know my samples exist on the computer.

do i need to delete EVERYTHING and start again? what procedure should i follow?

thanks, sagnier

Hello again, sagnier

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. You get "spat out" of the NI site--? I'm afraid I've never heard of that problem, so have no ideas there. As long as you use the original email address you used when you first registered, their site should cooperate with you.

I guess you're saying that on your other machine, you have GPO successfully interacting with KP2. I thought earlier that you needed to update GPO, because you said:

"...i have my original (ppc compatible) discs and serial number, and i have the libraries already backed up in several locations..."

That sounded like the original CD version of GPO which isn't compatible with KP2. But, if you have it all working together on your previous computer, then we have to go on to the next thing.

"...i dont have GPO installed on this machine, just the libraries which i have dragged from the previous machine..."

Hmmm, well I don't believe that works, and your problems stem from that. It has to be actually installed. I don't know of too many things work just by dragging its folder on to a new machine. NI keeps track of the computer ID numbers that GPO is installed on.

I thought for a moment that you just needed to tell KP2 where to find the Library folder - that's accessed by clicking "Info" on the GPO GUI and browsing for the installation folder. But I'm understanding you to say that your KP2 is completely empty, with GPO unrecognized - and that's logical since you don't actually have it installed on your new computer. How would KP2 know where it is?

You gotta bite the bullet and deal with NI - Getting on the danged phone if necessary. GPO has to be registered on your new computer.

Randy

ok, well im going to try deleting everything and starting from scratch. i have the library folders on this machine because i wanted to avoid the process of installing them all again. its part-laziness, part-tryingtobeclever! but i guess i shall bite that bullet.

and by spat out i meant that i would log in, search for my available downloads, and then after selecting the gpo update (not kp2, the other one) i would find myself logged out again. odd.

and yes, my original discs were not universal. they were installed on my old g4, then i bought a macbook 3years later and installed them on that and the kp2 update worked, and now im on a macbook pro. and hopefully...

Hello again, Sagnier

I think maybe if you change your computer's security settings so they're temporarily looser, you won't have the problem of getting constantly logged off at NI.

But I guess I'm not really totally understanding your situation. Originally you said, "...i am trying to install GPO on my new macbook pro..." But later you said, "... i dont have GPO installed on this machine, just the libraries which i have dragged from the previous machine..." And then later you said, "...i have the library folders on this machine because i wanted to avoid the process of installing them all again..."

This sounds contradictory to me, so I'm not picturing exactly what you're doing. It sounds like you did a copy and paste of the library on the new machine, hoping for GPO to work - ? That's why I said earlier that it won't function that way.

You have to register GPO on the new machine - That's the problem. So you do need to clear the logging out problem at NI so you can do that. You can't avoid having to install the up-to-date version of GPO on your new computer. Your discs or archived copies won't help you.

"...my original discs were not universal..." I don't know what you mean by that. When I originally saw your thread, I didn't understand the mention of "universal" in the subject line.

So - I'm not at all clear what your posts have really meant - ?

Randy

ok, i'll try and explain more clearly. i really appreciate your help, by the way.

in 2005 i bought gpo (4cds, and from the time when intel macs and universal, or intel-compatible, applications were way off in the future) and installed it on my powerbook g4. lovely.

in 2008 i bought a new macbook and installed gpo on that, using the discs and the updated (universal) library things from NI. im a bit vague about this process and cant quite remember what i did, but i know that it worked eventually! im not suggesting i did anything that conflicted with the recommended procedure, but whatever i did i cant remember, except that i know it took hours and i was amazed when it did finally work. (this procedure is the 'universal' i refer to, although perhaps thats the wrong term.)

earlier this year i upgraded the hdd on the macbook, and cloned my system onto it. now, having sold that computer, i still have the upgrade hdd and mean to install it in the new....

macbook pro, which i bought three weeks ago. (i was hoping to simply install my hdd and then upgrade only the OS from the new system discs, thereby saving me the hassle of re-installing logic, photoshop, gpo etc, but various issues meant i didnt)

so i have -
    - a new computer,
    - an hdd with a previous system (including gpo and all its data, folders, settings)
    - my original gpo retail discs

the hdd is currently in an enclosure, and iv been dragging pictures, music, various old .dmg files across as and when they've been required. i know that i cant just drag across whole applications BUT i was hoping to simply drag the gpo library across and then update only the application itself using the online resources at NI, and thereby avoid installing all the data from the discs again.

i think that this approach, which thusfar iv tried to follow, is not advisable. certainly, i dont have a working gpo yet! and no information iv found describes quite how to do it anyway, so iv been flailing around in the dark. was it a good idea to try this approach? probably not. now, my computer has a working kp2 on it, but no samples to use. so presumably NI is going to be confused when i try to update AGAIN. or is it, i dont know. so what do i do to get a working gpo on my laptop?

basically, i should have started from scratch.

ps, regarding my use of the term universal. i think i assumed that my original discs wouldn't install a working version of gpo on an intel mac. i dont know if this is the case or not, but 'universal' in my terms just refers to everything supplied (ie downloads) by NI that i have since used to get, or attempt to get, gpo working on whichever intel mac im using.

Firstly, do NOT even try installing from the original discs. Download the KP2.2.3 update from NI. Make note of the version. The .3 version has the KP2 library files, .4 doesn't. After installing the 2.2.3, then install the 2.2.4 update which is the player only but is needed for Leopard compatibility. Do not try to run 2.2.3 under Leopard.

Sagnier, thanks for the greater detail and explanations.

And Craig! Thank you SO much for your post. Sagnier, are you listening to Craig? He's telling you in a nutshell what I've been trying several times to tell you - You CAN'T USE the old GPO discs--That's a different version which won't work with KP2. You Must get the upgraded library through NI.

Randy

hello again, thanks for your advices

i did what you suggested, and im nearly there! what iv ended up with is a working gpo kontakt player, but it has no samples! it looks lovely, but there's nothing there. when i try to load an instrument it looks for it but finds nothing, and says (to paraphrase) 'there's no samples where im looking, so what should i do?'

im really not an idiot, in case it seems that way. i just dont want to bugger this up.

i followed your instructions, but they dont refer to the samples. where do they come from? you told me NOT to use the discs, but presumably i have to use them for this, or else where is all the data going to come from. by data i mean the 2gb or so of samples.

so faced with this problem, i did the following -

dragged the gpo_library_part1.nks (2,3 also) from the trash (where id previously put them in order to do a clean installation according to your instructions) and put them in the assigned destination folder. i just dropped them in there, and they are sitting next to the .nkc files.

i dont know if this is right or wrong, but i tried it anyway.

now, when i try to load an instrument, it looks like its working, and the kontakt player finds the samples and whizzes through them and the instrument parameters box appears in the main window... but its not making a sound! so visually, its 100% there, but functionally only... well, its not there yet.

Go Back to forum