• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the best Oboe ?

Share/Bookmark

What is the best Oboe ?

Hi,
    I am still looking for a really good Oboe. The XSample Vol. 6 sounds not too bad in the higher registers, but is not convincing in the lower. Also the p-samples I found unusable.

I once heard, that Dan-Dean´s instruments are also available as single instruments for $99. Haven´t seen this

Any comments ?
    Horst

Re: What is the best Oboe ?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horst:
    Hi,
    I am still looking for a really good Oboe. The XSample Vol. 6 sounds not too bad in the higher registers, but is not convincing in the lower. Also the p-samples I found unusable.

I once heard, that Dan-Dean´s instruments are also available as single instruments for $99. Haven´t seen this

Any comments ?
    Horst
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    They are available for $109 at my site: http://www.dandeanpro.com
    DD

[This message has been edited by dandean (edited 11-02-2001).]

I really like the Dan Dean Oboe. The vibrato patch has a great legato from note to note - quite smooth. The X-sample has too much attack.

vrsound.com
    oboe:
    up & down legato samples,
    3 atks,
    selectable natural note endings.
    Player:
    Catherina del Russo (Soloist for Pavarotti)
    Recorded at Sony Studios LA with 96/24 RADAR and binaural Head Mic.

The best,

A good friend of mine is an oboist who plays a Loree oboe and english horn, so I am very familiar with what a good oboe and english horn is supposed to sound like.

Dan Dean\'s oboe and english horn are right on! Dan\'s oboe and english have a very open sound with proper attacks. Every other oboe and english horn samples I have ever heard have a \"ducky\" sound, which is characteristic of non-professional musicians playing non-professional instruments.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

I\'m really loving the Dan Dean oboe as well. If you can\'t pick up the whole DDSW library at least pick up a couple of the solo instrument discs. For $109 they\'re an absolute steal.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

I second all the posts about the Dan Dean woodwinds. They are my favorite. For smaller, older sounds, Miroslav has always had a decent oboe.
    Take care
    Dave

Go Back to forum