• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soundcards vs AD1984A onboard chip?

Share/Bookmark

Soundcards vs AD1984A onboard chip?

My question is actually whether i need a soundcard or not. My notebook has currently an AD1984A SoundMax onboard chip. I'm planning to buy some desktop speaker, however money is a big issue so i'm considering the Logitech z 2300s. Now, would a new soundcard (up to 150$) make a considerable difference in audio quality when using speakers in that pricerange? I need it mostly to listen to classical music, would also do some editing in Cubase (EWQLSO Gold), but no mixing

Re: Soundcards vs AD1984A onboard chip?

If you plan on sequencing you need a pro card.
    You CANNOT use a standard sound card.
    Get the MiaMidi from Echo.
    A great card and worth every penny.
    http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/MiaMIDI/index.php

Also, save up for some used small KRK Rokit5s speakers or something, cost ya about $200. Anything less is a waste of money.

Here if ya need help
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Thanks for the help Chalfant. Will see if i can get some KRKs secondhand. The MiaMidi looks interesting too. Will report back if i have further questions

The MiaMidi is such a good solid card with a nice tone.
    You have to spend a lot more to get better.

Just before I headed off on my vacation I did a final mix of a documentary using the Rokits. They really are nice so good luck in your hunt.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    My question is actually whether i need a soundcard or not. My notebook has currently an AD1984A SoundMax onboard chip. I'm planning to buy some desktop speaker, however money is a big issue so i'm considering the Logitech z 2300s. Now, would a new soundcard (up to 150$) make a considerable difference in audio quality when using speakers in that pricerange? I need it mostly to listen to classical music, would also do some editing in Cubase (EWQLSO Gold), but no mixing
    Wait are minute are we talking about a laptop?

The inside of a computer is a not a good environment for sound cards or modems. You would do better with external devices. This would also give you more audio inputs and outputs and, possibly, other hardware controls. I have found those with firewire connections to be more reliable. If you don't have a firewire conncector on your machine, you can go with a USB device.

Firewire is a good option. Could anybody recommend a good external device?

Quote Originally Posted by newuser View Post
    Firewire is a good option. Could anybody recommend a good external device?
    That depend on how many inputs and output you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    The inside of a computer is a not a good environment for sound cards or modems. You would do better with external devices. This would also give you more audio inputs and outputs and, possibly, other hardware controls. I have found those with firewire connections to be more reliable. If you don't have a firewire conncector on your machine, you can go with a USB device.
    I've got an Echo Mia running inside a computer going on it's 10th year. I have a Terratec card going on 8 years without a hitch.

A Delta 1010 will give you just as much, if not more than most external units.

PCI devices are far more reliable. In most cases they offer better value and stability over any external device.

I also prefer FW over USB. Both of my external devices are FW.

The external soundcard wont be used for recording. I would need the external soundcard to enhance the audiooutput. So no special wishes for inputs or outputs. I'd just need a simple external firewire soundcard (Asio) wich delivers good audioquality for as cheap as possible . Oh and low latency would also be essential

Go Back to forum