• Register
  • Help

Topic: symphonic 'poem' | 'It's flying towards the beehive..'

symphonic 'poem' | 'It's flying towards the beehive..'

Hello there,
    I'll try to make the backstory as short as possible. In Estonia, the place I live, there's a tradition of song-festivals, where basically everyone who knows how to sing even a bit is present. Altogether like 40 thousand singers from all local choirs attend the festival. Add the audience and you'll be having a massive amount of people (like 120 thousand) altogether, singing.. songs that are very strongly connected to our nation, our fatherland, our history etc. So all in all a very patriotic event.
    One of those traditional songs that is always sung is 'Ta lendab mesipuu poole' ('It's flying towards the beehive..') by the Estonian composer Peep Sarapik. You can watch a YouTube video of this song being performed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpo_tqEdxxU
    Anyway, so my symphonic 'poem' is very strongly connected to this song, it's basically a more orchestral rendition of this choral work. And you can find out how lousy or good a job I did here: http://www.box.net/shared/vo1pavitcl
    Enjoy and discuss!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Wilton, NH

Re: symphonic 'poem' | 'It's flying towards the beehive..'

For the most part I'd say you did a pretty good job with this. I think it would be more interesting if you had different instruments occasionally taking taking the lead vocal parts.

BTW - I watched few of the other videos. Quite an event! It was fun going through even if I don't understand the words or the culture.
    Trent P. McDonald

What a fabulous post, Brindle!--Thanks much for it.

It's a wonderful thing, the source of your inspiration for this. Thanks for telling us about the folk song festival tradition of Estonia. You've created a beautifully realized piece in honor of that tradition and of your company, and I loved hearing it. Very well done.

A fabulous song!

This is music that uplifts your soul!

So I can very well understand why you chose to work on it
    and you did it justice!

I've enjoyed both versions, thanks for sharing.

Go Back to forum