• Register
  • Help

Topic: Schubert: symphonic Andante Fragment

Share/Bookmark

Schubert: symphonic Andante Fragment

One month before his death Schubert sketched a symphony in D major in a piano draft. The Andante in b-minor expresses an incomparable saddnes.

According to this piano draft I made a rough orchestration without adding any notes beyond that what Schubert has written:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Schubert-f...D936a-mov2.mp3

Gerd

Re: Schubert: symphonic Andante Fragment

I like your orchestration, or at least the instrumentation. The problem is that the instruments are all static - there seems to be very little dynamics. The instruments all seem overly loud and harsh. There was some crackling and popping at one point because of volume. If you made this softer and more gentle - sadder - smoother and less harsh, added some dynamics, this could sound pretty good.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi, gprengel

Exciting project you set up for yourself. I admire the way you fleshed Schubert's piano sketch instrumentally without intruding into what he'd actually composed.

I just now noticed Trent's feedback after I started to write - He's already said precisely what I was ready to say. It does sound like you didn't use any dynamic volume control but let everything play constantly at their full volume. That gives this recording an unnatural effect, more like old hardware synth recordings when users didn't always take enough care with their dynamics.

Use the Mod wheel to play the volume, especially on the strings which right now are especially in need of variation. Draw the cc1 volume control in if you're not using a keyboard.

Once you've gone through each instrument's tracks and actually Played their volume in whatever way you can, then I think this will sound wonderful and will match the mood Schubert intended.

Randy

Thank you, Randy, for the hint regarding the cc1 control. This is the ModWheel, right? But how do I use this? As I understand it, it works only while playing, but when I create Wave File I can't do it while playing but only right away. I use Finale 2008a.

Gerd

Hi, Gerd - Thanks for replying.

I'm not a Finale expert at all--I use Sonar, and Sibelius for notation when someone twists my arm hard enough.

But I know that basically in notation programs volumes are controlled by dynamics markings - pppp through ffff. People sometimes use many more than would be appropriate to actually have displayed in their scores, so they make the extra markings invisible--but in the meantime those markings are creating the variety of volume dynamics you need.

Randy

yes, the dynamics ppp ... fff of course I know, but it's a lot of work to do it this way, especially to do crescendos and decrescendos ... but I will do it now this way, thank you!

"...it's a lot of work to do it this way..."

I sympathize, Gerd. This is much faster, easier, and intuitive to do in a sequencing program like Sonar. But people can become extremely effective with dynamics in notation programs. There are members here who make recordings with Finale that sound as natural and vibrant as sequencer recordings. Look for Michel's recent fanfare post, for instance. Dig in, I'm sure you'll like the greater musicality you'll achieve as a result.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    please check again, now I put in articulation controlls as good as I can.
    It should be much better now. It is such a marvellous gem this piece ...

Gerd

Got the auto-email alerting me to your update, Gerd - Nice! Definitely more movement in it. I'm impressed you liked the idea of getting more dynamics into it. It really is such an important factor, otherwise we're just triggering notes and letting the sounds plaaaaaay sustained, unwavering and unnaturally. And we want to be more than the folks who stick the note triggers in.

There are some real masters here at squeezing the most out of Finale. Stick around and I'm sure you'll get some good specific tips.

Thanks for the message - Nice!

Randy

Go Back to forum